** The Dumb Question Thread ** - Page 90 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 469Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #891 of 1368 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:18 PM
2010 Gun Metal Gray Xterra S 4x4

Do people always use the recommended coolant? Or, any antifreeze they can get/cheapest?

[Enter Signature Here]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #892 of 1368 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:27 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djyoder27 View Post
So yeah didn't see this till i got home and drained the oil...

Thoughts on how long i should run it before draining again and getting the right stuff?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I've run that at some point in the past 160k, I think I ran it 5 or 7k with no problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #893 of 1368 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:30 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaX10 View Post
Do people always use the recommended coolant? Or, any antifreeze they can get/cheapest?
I run the OEM green stuff in my 2008 X - ordered on ebay and delivered to my house. Its 21 bucks a gallon, and is one of the few non pre mixed formula's around today so add a gallon of distilled water which is under a buck at the grocery store, and your at 11.00 per gallon of mixed coolant, which isn't much more than the prestone premix sold at Wally's.

Still running the Nissan blue in my 2011 Frontier which is ridiculously 20+ per gallon pre dilluted, even on flea bay. I am contemplating switching that out to the Nissan Green also next time since I change it just as often even though its "long life"

post #894 of 1368 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:46 AM
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
I've run that at some point in the past 160k, I think I ran it 5 or 7k with no problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1RU View Post
IMO 5K.
Are you saying that because it is the extended mileage oil?

Or because it is 5w-20? I have been running the extended oil for several changes as it is only $2-3 more than the regular Mobile 1, figure why not.

But I didn't notice till I got home that it was 5w-20 not 5w-30. Wondering is there is any reason to change it out since it is not what they recommend.
post #895 of 1368 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:15 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djyoder27 View Post
Are you saying that because it is the extended mileage oil?

Or because it is 5w-20? I have been running the extended oil for several changes as it is only $2-3 more than the regular Mobile 1, figure why not.

But I didn't notice till I got home that it was 5w-20 not 5w-30. Wondering is there is any reason to change it out since it is not what they recommend.
20 weight is thinner and will thin more when hot compared to 30 weight.
If you don’t do extreme driving, towing, or drive 500 miles at a time, being as you are in a colder climate right now just keep it in there.
IF you are nervous, dump a little out and add in some Lucas, STP, or a quart or so of 50 weight.

Don’t know your miles, change routine, etc, but again I’d say you are good a few months easy.
GDPearson likes this.

Why doesn’t anyone ever ask for the least aggressive mud tire? ~jsexton

Last edited by MartinX; 01-07-2019 at 08:18 AM.
post #896 of 1368 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:23 AM
Veteran
2009 Lightning Silver Xterra "S" 4x4 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaX10 View Post
I tend to run what's recommended and already in use.
SOME coolants do not mix well... at all. Worst cases, they can turn to gel, form crystals, and generally disagree. GM "Dexcool" was notorious for it... but I tend to not mix any coolant just out of precaution. If I were flushing with water... maybe running straight water for awhile to completely flush... then I'd swap to something i preferred more. But I've never gotten to that level or desire to change coolants.

Click Here For >

NissTec 2in spacer, Adjustable shackles at highest, 285/75r16 BFG KM2, some Shrockworks skids, some hefty aluminum skids, White Knuckle sliders, Hardcore rear bumper, and random accessories.
post #897 of 1368 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Veteran
2010 X

Will a scepter fuel can ride horizontally in a roof basket? I think it'll be easier to secure it that way, plus less of an air brake..
post #898 of 1368 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 05:12 PM
Veteran
2010 Super Black Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty View Post
Will a scepter fuel can ride horizontally in a roof basket? I think it'll be easier to secure it that way, plus less of an air brake..
if you have the vitron or what ever gasket meant for gas you should be fine, I would just test it out before you commit, and check it on it still
eighty likes this.

-IG-x.treks- "No one can deny the pure flex of Un4seen4" - AlbatrossCafe
post #899 of 1368 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:39 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

I am wondering about how much a Xterra Rear diff weighs. I have a C200 but I assume the M205 is about the same. I am thinking about getting something lower geared, and since mine has 328,000 miles its likely going to need to be replaced sooner than later anyway, but I am trying to figure out if its something I can wrestle into the garage and under the truck myself?
post #900 of 1368 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:58 PM
2012 Xterra X

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn88 View Post
I am wondering about how much a Xterra Rear diff weighs. I have a C200 but I assume the M205 is about the same. I am thinking about getting something lower geared, and since mine has 328,000 miles its likely going to need to be replaced sooner than later anyway, but I am trying to figure out if its something I can wrestle into the garage and under the truck myself?
They are heavy, probably 175-200 off the top of my head, but might be heavier

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode