** The Dumb Question Thread ** - Page 5 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 442Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Let's say you're on a road trip and the universal goes out on the rear driveshaft. If you pull the entire driveshaft the transfer case is going to start leaking. Is there a work around to get you going in front wheel drive without causing your transfer case to leak?
Or, you (I) could crawl under the X to see what you (I) can figure out yourself (myself) and realize the rear seal on the transfer case is leaking. Might as well replace the universal while you (I) have the driveshaft pulled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Where do you guys put the jack and where do you put the jack stand when you're raising the front end? I've not been happy with anything I've tried, miss a solid axle up front for this.

Last edited by Longboardr; 03-31-2017 at 11:47 AM.
post #43 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 11:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Quote:
Where do you guys put the jack and where do you put the jack stand when you're raising the front end? I've not been happy with anything I've tried, miss a solid axle up front for this.
I struggled with this for a while as well - the Jack was always in the way of mounting the tire, placing the jackstand, etc. But I found that (if you have a big enough jack) by FAR the best location is to jack it up by the front cross member (the jack rests just to the side of the front cam bolts) on either side and place the jackstands under the frame rails as forward as possible behind the front wheel well.

This lets you easily place the jackstands without the jack in the way, and the jack is far enough inward that your tires don't get in the way when trying to mount/unmount them.

Plus I like that this jacking point is pretty far forwards on the truck so you don't end up jacking up the back a ton to get the front wheel off the ground.

Jack from the front: (best pic I have)

Jackstand placement:

Longboardr likes this.

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trip Photos Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Mods first - life later."

post #44 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 12:34 PM
Veteran
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

If you have a solid (aftermarket) engine skid plate just use that. It's what I use anytime I need both front tires off the ground. I then put the jack stands at the first wide, level spot on the frame behind the tires.
Longboardr likes this.

Last edited by Snowtrout; 03-31-2017 at 12:36 PM.
post #45 of 1276 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Veteran
2010 Super Black Xterra Off Road

Quote:
I use a bottle jack mostly for the front end and I like to put in on the gusset reinforcement right next to the front LCA camber bolt and for jack stands right after the trans cross member next to the secondary cats.

Longboardr and AlbatrossCafe like this.

-IG-x.treks- "No one can deny the pure flex of Un4seen4" - AlbatrossCafe

Last edited by Un4seen4; 03-31-2017 at 01:16 PM.
post #46 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Onboard Air - Do I need a tank?

Do I absolutely need an Air tank for my situation?

I want onboard air for an M205 ARB Front Air Locker as well as re-inflating tires after airing down. I have no interest in running power tools or an air horn.

Do I need a tank as well? I was hoping just a compressor with a very small internal tank would suffice. For example I have this Viair 400p Compressor now and you after turning it off you can spray air for about 1 second. Is something similar good enough?

Main reason is I don't really care to have a tank mounted anywhere on my truck. Don't want to deal with it or have it in the way of everything.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

post #47 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

If you buy the appropriate compressor made to run air lockers without the use of a tank, then yes. See the ARB compressors,... I'm not certain if Viair makes one to run air lockers without a tank. A little GoogleFu will answer that for you.
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #48 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Caretaker of The Minion

2005 (w/a little 2010) === SE/OffRoad ❌=== EW3 Solar Yellow

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
Do I absolutely need an Air tank for my situation?

I want onboard air for an M205 ARB Front Air Locker as well as re-inflating tires after airing down. I have no interest in running power tools or an air horn.

Do I need a tank as well? I was hoping just a compressor with a very small internal tank would suffice. For example I have this Viair 400p Compressor now and you after turning it off you can spray air for about 1 second. Is something similar good enough?

Main reason is I don't really care to have a tank mounted anywhere on my truck. Don't want to deal with it or have it in the way of everything.
Nope, no tank needed. I don't know about VIAIR models, but the ARB CKMA12 is the compressor you'd want. I'm running that for my front ARB, and to inflate my tires

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

-|-

on Instagram

(North Carolina Xterra Club)

(Nissan Offroad Association of the Southeast)
post #49 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSX2 View Post
Nope, no tank needed. I don't know about VIAIR models, but the ARB CKMA12 is the compressor you'd want. I'm running that for my front ARB, and to inflate my tires
Awesome, that's what I thought, thanks. I got the free smaller one with the promotion ARB is having now but I guess I'll just sell that one.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

post #50 of 1276 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I noticed a Xterra this weekend that had one of those wing type things that I'm guessing is supposed to direct air over the back window. Do these things actually work to move rain off the window so you don't have to use the rear wiper?

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode