** The Dumb Question Thread ** - Page 128 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 469Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1271 of 1368 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:17 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledheadX View Post
That doesn’t help your case General Andretti.
Definitely not haha. Honestly sometimes it get so aggravating holding the wheel from trying to turn into whatever side the road is banked more I probably go faster than I would normally. Thanks for the pic updates, my mounts look basically the same so I guess those are probably fine. So tie rods seem ok, rack mounts are ok, uca mounts are ok, I took a video yesterday of the passenger side lca mounts while turning the steering back and forth and didn't see any abnormal flexing happening. I'll do the drivers side next but if those turn out ok then whats left, hubs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1272 of 1368 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:34 AM
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
** The Dumb Question Thread **

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
Definitely not haha. Honestly sometimes it get so aggravating holding the wheel from trying to turn into whatever side the road is banked more I probably go faster than I would normally. Thanks for the pic updates, my mounts look basically the same so I guess those are probably fine. So tie rods seem ok, rack mounts are ok, uca mounts are ok, I took a video yesterday of the passenger side lca mounts while turning the steering back and forth and didn't see any abnormal flexing happening. I'll do the drivers side next but if those turn out ok then whats left, hubs?

Damn...hmmmm. If hubs, I’d expect the 12-6 o’clock shake would show something easily. But if they had bearing slop, wouldn’t there be noise as well?
Maybe she’s telling you to T-swap

Edit: been thinking of tire wear... how’s your camber? High caster from “B” SPC settings and extra + camber? You did say it felt good for a bit then sh!t started hitting the fan again? Catch a pothole that made you cringe more than normal? Wondering if it’s just out of alignment again. I’m trying to NOT overthink it like usual
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWW FRELL!!!

Last edited by SledheadX; 06-15-2019 at 09:58 AM.
post #1273 of 1368 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:56 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Damn...hmmmm. If hubs, I’d expect the 12-6 o’clock shake would show something easily. But if they had bearing slop, wouldn’t there be noise as well?
Maybe she’s telling you to T-swap

Right? I've been checking the hubs out about every 3k when I rotate because of the mileage (164k) on them and I've never noticed any slop. With the noise I haven't noticed anything other than tires really. The other weekend I was on the interstate next to a wall for about 20 miles listening for noise and didn't hear anything. Even worse, the shop that does my alignments works primarily on high end and/or heavily modified cars/trucks and they haven't spotted anything loose or worn out either. I should add that this wasn't a problem before I added the SPC's and set the caster to the B slot.

I think you might be on to something with the Titan swap haha.
Adam12SD likes this.

Last edited by General_Tarfun; 06-15-2019 at 10:07 AM.

post #1274 of 1368 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:16 PM

Garage
** The Dumb Question Thread **

Still trying to pick a new tire inflator and just came across the Viair 300P for $149.86 after tax at Walmart.com. Worthy buy over the 88P? Don’t think I need to foot the bill for a 400P (yet?). Opinions?

AWW FRELL!!!
post #1275 of 1368 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:32 PM
Veteran
2010 X

Quote:
Still trying to pick a new tire inflator and just came across the Viair 300P for $149.86 after tax at Walmart.com. Worthy buy over the 88P? Don’t think I need to foot the bill for a 400P (yet?). Opinions?

Definitely.

Viair has a chart where you can find all of the tech specs; 300 is way more powerful and has a longer duty cycle than 88. I don’t remember what 400 is.

post #1276 of 1368 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:34 PM
Veteran
2010 X

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty View Post
Definitely.

Viair has a chart where you can find all of the tech specs; 300 is way more powerful and has a longer duty cycle than 88. I don’t remember what 400 is.

Never mind it turns out I bought the 400. It was $129 maybe worth waiting.

post #1277 of 1368 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:42 PM
Veteran
2006 & 2009 Red Brawn & Navy Blue Xterra OR's

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisanerd View Post
If it is the Nexus that I think it is, and you have a bunch of spare time to muck around with it, you might want to factory reset it and restore it to an older version of Android. The latest update for it really tanked the performance, and then Google just abandoned it without trying to fix that (although I think part of it was that some of the hardware didn't have the latest drivers released from the manufacturer at the time, so Google couldn't do much about it).
Thanks. It's been a little while since I played around with it, but I remember doing some toolkit root thingy (that's the technical term) on mine and it helped a bit but not that much. I'll have to take another look at it and see if I can figure out exactly what I did then*.

As far as the dash mount which prompted my original question, on last weekend's camping trip the brother in law was impressed by it, but my wife less so because it does sort of block the HVAC vent. The slightly longer Ram arm looks like it'll solve her complaint about it AND if we have it closer to the center, it should be even less likely to get in the way of the passenger airbag. Win win.

EDIT:
*It was the Nexus Root Toolkit by Wugfresh that I used.
https://www.howtogeek.com/120482/how...us-or-nexus-s/

Last edited by outback97; 06-18-2019 at 08:57 AM.
post #1278 of 1368 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:18 PM
Veteran

Garage
On the SPC sheet it list the amount of caster they estimate each setting will give. Does that mean:

A. That's the amount it will add to the total caster and the shop will report a number that is including whatever the spc joint added.

or

B. That's the number that should be added to what the alignment shop reports caster as.

post #1279 of 1368 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:40 PM

Garage
I think it meant “D” setting set the caster to what it was before SPC. Thus the other settings are +/- from that factory reading?

AWW FRELL!!!
post #1280 of 1368 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:07 AM
Some random dude
2006 Solar Yellow ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback97 View Post
Thanks. It's been a little while since I played around with it, but I remember doing some toolkit root thingy (that's the technical term) on mine and it helped a bit but not that much. I'll have to take another look at it and see if I can figure out exactly what I did then
It isn't root that fixes it (although that can help a bit as you can do things like uninstall unneeded garbage that is baked into the system and running in the background), it is literally the version of Android you need to downgrade. Lollipop killed the device performance.

https://tektab.com/2015/10/23/downgr...-model-nakasi/

Of course, there are a couple possible downsides to doing this. 1, you likely have to factory-reset it, so all of your data will be gone. And 2, you might be hitting software that is no longer compatible with Kitkat, so you might have to try to track down older versions of the programs you use.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode