Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

** The Dumb Question Thread **

207K views 2K replies 171 participants last post by  SledheadX 
#1 ·
Sometimes I've got a question and there's no handy place to ask it...

I've been wondering about this for a while... Why do the P4X guys care that the roof lights only come on with the high beams on? What situation do they get into that they want low beams and roof lights on instead of high beams?

#4 ·
I get why Nissan wired the roof lights like they did, there's always that idiot blinding others and seldom a cop around to bust him. I just wonder why you'd want to run anything other than high beams along with your roof lights.

#6 ·
Now that makes sense, thanks.

Along the same lines I need to get around to the fog light mod where you can run the fog lights without the headlights on. When we get dense fog I'd much prefer the low beams aren't bouncing off the fog back into my eyes. As a plus I'd like to be able to leave the fog lights on all the time like daylight running lights and have them turn off with the key without having to touch the stalk ?

#8 ·
This is annoying because they won't stay on when we dim our high beams or turn off the headlights. I've been in situations where I've wanted to illuminate the side of the hill, but had no need for light immediately in front of me.

Now, why are non-P4X jealous of our boobs? >:)

#9 ·
This was one of the reasons I had a 2nd set of fog light mounts put in my front bumper. I now have the stock fogs that are only on with low beams, and another set that I can flick on at any time needed. I currently have amber floods so they illuminate the shoulder / side hill and directly in front pretty well. Also they are functional in snow and fog on the road, where I cannot use my big lights without burning the retinas out of oncoming drivers.

#10 ·
I've been waiting for this thread. I believe I can contribute.

Why is it that my front wheels never looked "stuffed"? They had room to move up in the wheel well.
I had extended rads at 650# with 1" spacer on top. Was it the spacer itself? Is the spring rate too high and can it limit full uptravel?

Could never get the front wheel more stuffed than this:

#11 ·
As others have stated, it sucks when you want to have the fogs on to light up the lower area in front of you but can't have them on when the Boobs are on. I have mounted a 21" LED light bar in the grill mouth to help combat the issue of needing to light up the immediate area in front of the rig, while maintaining the use and spread of the Boob lights further down the trail.

#15 ·
Swaybar was off

Are you talking about the LCA bumpstop?

So how are people getting this kind of stuffing? It must be the spacer... either that or the rock in my pic wasn't a good place to try to get full stuff

#16 ·
Swaybar was off

Are you talking about the LCA bumpstop?

So how are people getting this kind of stuffing? It must be the spacer... either that or the rock in my pic wasn't a good place to try to get full stuff
Yes, the LCA bumpstop. The spacer also affectively removes 1" of "compressible" suspension.

This is about as stuffed as my fronts go. I'm hitting the bump stops. You're doing better than me. I purposely have that much bump stop in there because I have about only 3" of uptravel left in the struts right now. I'm going to either get the custom top hats made or just keep it this way for a while and throw in some legitimate TS coilovers. You can see the compressed bumpstop in the attached picture. I do plan on trimming about 3/8" to 1/2" off the stops, to allow for more uptravel, but still allowing them to avoid topping out the struts.

Attachments

#18 ·
wow a lot of other posts came through wile i was writing that. I know on mine the front stops just short of the bump stop. I chalk this up to the fact Im still on stock leafs with dual AAL and they are softer throughout their range of motion, compared to say a set of Alcans.

#25 ·
Does anyone have a trick to get better connections on trailer light connectors? I've used both dielectric grease and an anti-oxidizing grease without much success. My connectors are newish (less than a year old) and don't show any corrosion. My enclosed trailer has position lights I can see on the fenders in my mirrors. Sure enough, they often go out. Wiggling the connection gets them burning strong again, but I don't want to be that guy with lights going on and off disgust

#26 ·
Most times it is the grounding between the trailer and tow vehicle that is the "problem". Try running a dedicated ground wire from the tow vehicle to the trailer and see what happens.

#29 · (Edited)
How could you go about driving your X in 2lo? I'm pretty sure there's no easy (read quickly reversible) way of making this happen. I had a Bronco II years ago, if you left the hubs unlocked you could drive in 2lo. This was great with a manual tranny for backing trailers up hills and also driving across bumpy fields. The easiest way I can think of doing it is to pull your front driveshaft, but obviously it makes it a little hard to drive in 4wd that way...

#30 ·
Anyone driven with their snorkel through the car wash?

I'm too tall for most car washes in the area, but theoretically, if I could fit, does the carwash damage the snorkel? Do you tie a plastic bag over the snorkel head, just dry out the air box when done, or is neither needed?

#38 ·
There wouldn't be binding because it would just be front wheel drive with the open front diff just like how in 2wd you don't have binding with just rear wheel drive (open not locked of course). You would however, be leaking t-case fluid out of the output shaft seal.

#43 ·
I struggled with this for a while as well - the Jack was always in the way of mounting the tire, placing the jackstand, etc. But I found that (if you have a big enough jack) by FAR the best location is to jack it up by the front cross member (the jack rests just to the side of the front cam bolts) on either side and place the jackstands under the frame rails as forward as possible behind the front wheel well.

This lets you easily place the jackstands without the jack in the way, and the jack is far enough inward that your tires don't get in the way when trying to mount/unmount them.

Plus I like that this jacking point is pretty far forwards on the truck so you don't end up jacking up the back a ton to get the front wheel off the ground.

Jack from the front: (best pic I have)

Jackstand placement:

#46 ·
Onboard Air - Do I need a tank?

Do I absolutely need an Air tank for my situation?

I want onboard air for an M205 ARB Front Air Locker as well as re-inflating tires after airing down. I have no interest in running power tools or an air horn.

Do I need a tank as well? I was hoping just a compressor with a very small internal tank would suffice. For example I have this Viair 400p Compressor now and you after turning it off you can spray air for about 1 second. Is something similar good enough?

Main reason is I don't really care to have a tank mounted anywhere on my truck. Don't want to deal with it or have it in the way of everything.

#48 ·
Do I absolutely need an Air tank for my situation?

I want onboard air for an M205 ARB Front Air Locker as well as re-inflating tires after airing down. I have no interest in running power tools or an air horn.

Do I need a tank as well? I was hoping just a compressor with a very small internal tank would suffice. For example I have this Viair 400p Compressor now and you after turning it off you can spray air for about 1 second. Is something similar good enough?

Main reason is I don't really care to have a tank mounted anywhere on my truck. Don't want to deal with it or have it in the way of everything.
Nope, no tank needed. I don't know about VIAIR models, but the ARB CKMA12 is the compressor you'd want. I'm running that for my front ARB, and to inflate my tires

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#47 ·
If you buy the appropriate compressor made to run air lockers without the use of a tank, then yes. See the ARB compressors,... I'm not certain if Viair makes one to run air lockers without a tank. A little GoogleFu will answer that for you.

#50 ·
I noticed a Xterra this weekend that had one of those wing type things that I'm guessing is supposed to direct air over the back window. Do these things actually work to move rain off the window so you don't have to use the rear wiper?

#55 ·
Oh god... that thing. Yeah, I've seen that around. I don't think I could put it on no matter how great the benefit. This is not quite the end goal with my build: