** The Dumb Question Thread ** - Page 112 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 385Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1111 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Silver Lhtg ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
Same here, mine are completely shot, I can feel them wiggle around depending one which way the road leans. The center lane is especially fun at 75 mph with two front wheels changing toe angle every .5 seconds haha. Mind of I ask what part # you went with? I think you might beat me to the install so if you have any tips afterwards I'd greatly appreciate them!
whiteline w53272
General_Tarfun likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
ĒYou are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.Ē

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:02 PM
2010 Night Armor Xterra X

Garage
one sawz all and 1 new Diablo Heavy Metal blade and can cut through all LCA bolts (just did it last week)

with that said Damn Diablo makes a nice saw blade

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
post #1113 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 AM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

Anyone ever run with the hood "popped" to aid in air flow? idk just a thought. It really shouldnt be necessary but. slow speeds under high throttle might cause overheating. its kinda like the concept of hood luovers, lets more air into engine bay which would then push out hot air??

post #1114 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:53 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
Anyone ever run with the hood "popped" to aid in air flow? idk just a thought. It really shouldnt be necessary but. slow speeds under high throttle might cause overheating. its kinda like the concept of hood luovers, lets more air into engine bay which would then push out hot air??
While driving not on purpose haha. I think it would rattle like crazy if you tried it on a trail, you'd almost need something flexible to put in between the hood and the truck to prevent that. I wonder though if there would be any downsides to that though.

This is just a theory but I think air being forced in from the top would increase the air pressure in the engine bay and make it harder for the radiator fan to push air into it. So the radiator would have a harder time cooling due to reduced airflow through the fins. Just a guess, it would be cool to do a temp test and see if it that actually matters.
Brunnie likes this.

post #1115 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Senior Member / (Q4WC) Club Moderator
2013 Silver Lightning ❌terra TS/LCKD/4.10 33's S

Garage
Quote:
While driving not on purpose haha. I think it would rattle like crazy if you tried it on a trail, you'd almost need something flexible to put in between the hood and the truck to prevent that. I wonder though if there would be any downsides to that though.

This is just a theory but I think air being forced in from the top would increase the air pressure in the engine bay and make it harder for the radiator fan to push air into it. So the radiator would have a harder time cooling due to reduced airflow through the fins. Just a guess, it would be cool to do a temp test and see if it that actually matters.

So, here in the desert heat, when we get over 115 and heads up to 122 or more, itís common to see the hoods popped open.
I definitely pop mine and it helps to cool things down.
Heavy loads on the tranny and engine with slower speeds just push the cooling system to the max here.

Iím looking at the CSF as my next investment (2 rows) and have a double external transmission cooler setup cause the factory setup just canít handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #1116 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:48 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
I've got two dumbos this time, #1 is am I crazy to leave the front bumper cover on while I paint it and #2 I was planning on painting the plastic door protector things but the more I look at them I think I'd rather not have them at all. BUT they've been on since 06 so is it pretty much guaranteed that the paint has faded around them to the point where it's going to look crazy if I pull them?

post #1117 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:35 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
What are the downsides of too much caster?

I'm pretty sure that I do at the moment but before lowering the angle I wanted to see what our group of Xterra scholars thought on the subject. When I setup my SPC's last year I set the caster adjuster to slot B or +2.75 degrees of caster. They note in the install sheet that slot D or +1 degrees of caster will return most truck to stock.

My main complaints are:

1. Overly strong pull to center. At 70+ mph on long sweeping freeway turns the truck doesn't want to turn, it's a fight to keep the truck in lane while also completing the turn. If you let go of the wheel it sharply snaps back to center immediately, the truck will actually sway back and forth a few times from the force.

2. At slow speed if I make a turn, for example a left turn at 10 mph and hit the gas I can feel at least one of the front tires seem to lock/lose grip and the truck wants to drive straight and just drag the front tires without much turning happening. Basically really bad understeer.

3. High speed front end pulsing, seems like an alignment problem vs rotors but I'm wondering if it's mainly caster again, both wheels fighting to pull the truck depending on which way the road is leaning.

What do you guys think?
Not sure if my input will "help" or not, but seems like caster is too strong. I set my SPC's to "D" on initial install. i knew toe was off but return to center was weak regardless. Immediately went to "C" and had a significant difference for the better. When all was said and done, my caster was 3.4, 3.7 using "C" setting and I am quite happy with my X's responsiveness. And doesn't tire size also play a factor against caster effect? I thought I read that we want to be right at the upper threshold of caster green range but not much beyond. If you have lifetime alignment, try setting "C" and realign if it improves. It's a quick simple change that can be restored without losing alignment and doesn't cost anything but time.

I'm not a mechanic, but I've seen one on TV
General_Tarfun and MartinX like this.

AWW FRELL!!!

Last edited by SledheadX; 05-16-2019 at 02:35 AM. Reason: typo
post #1118 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Well then...
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra X

Garage
Canít seem to find the info anywhere, does the HC Off-road Bumper come with the rad skid plate to replace the oem?

Click Here for >
post #1119 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:11 AM
2010 Night Armor Xterra X

Garage
Thoughts/ideas on tracing the shape of our headliner?

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
post #1120 of 1174 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:14 AM
Well then...
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeHere! View Post
Thoughts/ideas on tracing the shape of our headliner?

Are you trying to re-upholster? In my experience it is best to simply pull down the existing headliner and then begin from one end with the material of your choosing and some fabric adhesive and work your way around until it is nice and flush. Then trim the edges with an exacto knife leaving enough to wrap around and use the adhesive to make it stick over the edges.
Brunnie likes this.

Click Here for >

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode