Dashcams? [Video Added] - Page 5 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:03 PM
Veteran
2011 Xterra S⊙

@JNR Ok, Here are a few pics. Side note that I received this for christmas from my sister. Pretty great gift I think. But Ive only recently installed it and havent given it much thought since, so your thread has been good motivation for me. I think both lenses (front and rear) are 170°.

Heres the front camera position.

Looks like Im still getting a small corner of dots on the lower right. I also get some reflection from the dash when the sun is right. The issue with the wipers doesnt seem so bad, but until I get into some caked on dust I cant say for sure. Also noticing that my clock is way wrong. lol.

I also added the rear camera, but havent ran it to the rear yet.

So for now I get this:

JNR likes this.

Whatever you are, be a good one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jude; 01-22-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
JNR
Veteran
2014 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Thanks for posting the pics...the placement looks real good and appears to have a nice quality image. Mine is about the same vicinity horizontally, but higher up, due to the form factor of the unit.

I may look into reversing the housing onto a custom bracket so that I can get the lens closer to the windshield. That would be key to solving the issue of black dots and reflection of where it's at now. That, or it needs to be moved to the left; decided I don't want it lower.
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:42 PM
Veteran
2011 Xterra S⊙

Thanks. I'll probably experiment a bit with different locations. Not quite satisfied with this one. Here's a sample video.

P.S. You or someone mentioned RainX. Ive been using the RainX windshield washer fluid, and its awesome. I definitely recommend it.

Whatever you are, be a good one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jude; 01-22-2017 at 04:54 PM.

post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
JNR
Veteran

May have been me that mentioned Rain-X. Hopefully that doesn't have an expiration date though, as I bought some many years ago and hardly used it. We ended up getting the deluxe family pack with two huge bottles and Fog-X (or whatever they call it)...the Rain-X worked good from what I recall, but the fog stuff was sort of useless. They say isopropyl alcohol is supposed to keep glass from fogging, but never works for me. Maybe they mean it removes the fogginess as it is already there, who knows.

I noticed you can see a little bit of the black dots in your video, but hardly noticeable and only 'cause I was looking for it. Same thing with the defrost outlets on the dash. Not sure how to get rid of that reflection though.

Heard a polarizing filter is supposed to help get rid of haziness and some reflection, but mine is 20 mm lens and not sure how it would attach to the little housing that protrudes out. Besides, the good ones are $$.

It's been raining lately, so no luck getting out there and looking at alternative mountings. Oh well, think it'll stay this way for awhile.
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran
2007 Avalanche White Xterra SE, 4x4

Would tapping into the Dome lights? work for a dash cam power source?. Vs running cable all the way to a Cig outlet.

Never give up the high Ground!!
" A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke don't want one bad enough. "
Gus McCrae-
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
JNR
Veteran

I personally wouldn't do that...they claimed it was a 2 or 3 amp (don't recall exact #) requirement, but in reality it can be closer to 4 amps, for some reason. I know this because the 3 amp fuse blew, but 5 did not. Note the wiring it came with and what additional was used is of sufficient size for that load. Mention this, because I would not add that much amperage onto an existing vehicle circuit like the dome light, since there is typically other items on ot that also draw. More often, they are not used all the time at same time, let's say, but could be, so why increase it.

Also, it is pretty simple to run wiring in the X, just use your head on avoiding sharp edges and keep in mind things like wires can move a little here and there, as far as chaffing goes. As in, allow space and slack, although also securing it down.

I ended up running the module to keep the battery from dying, which means running a batt 12v connection, as well as separate ign or acc wire and of course ground. Ended up putting override switch, as well, so that when its parked somewhere with constant movement it won't be on all the time, if desired...works great!
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chug View Post
Would tapping into the Dome lights? work for a dash cam power source?. Vs running cable all the way to a Cig outlet.

It depends on if the power to the light ever switches off. The dash cams are made to come on with a switched/ignition power source, and turn off after the key is turned off. I ran my power down the A pillar on the passenger side to a fuse tap inserted into a switched fuse source, the heated seat circuit iirc. Pretty easy and quick.
Brunnie likes this.
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran
2007 Avalanche White Xterra SE, 4x4

I will seek that route Vs the Dome light.. With added Fuse..

Never give up the high Ground!!
" A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke don't want one bad enough. "
Gus McCrae-
post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:39 AM
Veteran & LPM
2010 ❌terra S & 2010 Frontier SE

Garage
That thing looks pretty solid

>
&

>

>
|
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

@JNR

My mother asked me to remove the painted/baked on labeling from a wine bottle for an arts and crafts project of hers. I tried various solvents around the shop with no luck. Then I looked online and gave LIME-A-WAY gel toilet bowl cleaner a try and sure enough the paint came off with a good soak. I'd bet it would take off the black dots. I'd also bet there would be ghosting where the dots were that you'd still be able to see when the paint is all gone, like an etching.

Last edited by Longboardr; 06-12-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode