Xterra Ambulance - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
2005 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Xterra Ambulance

Long Story to follow:

I decided to hit up Rattlesnake trail in Five Mile Pass, Utah yesterday with a friend. We got up to an obstacle called Wayne's World that I was thinking about attempting in my Xterra. There were two ATV riders ahead and one was attempting the obstacle unsuccessfully. His father had ridden a bypass to the top of the obstacle to watch. When it was apparent the ATV attempting the obstacle wouldn't make it up, the father decided to back down the adjacent hill to the bottom to help extricate the ATV. As the back tires of the father's ATV came off a 6" rock ledge, he locked up his rear tires and the ATV's nose started pointing skywards. The man fell off and the ATV then rolled on top of him (this is a 650+ lb utility ATV with several gear bags on the back and a winch in the front), continued and landed on its wheels, rolling down the rest of the hill. I was standing about 10 feet away on the hill when it happened and ran over to him. He was conscious and in incredible pain. Either the handlebars or his motocross helmet lacerated his lower lip and he was bleeding profusely from his mouth. He was also complaining of severe lower back pain. I told him to lay on his back, to keep his helmet on, and that we'd get him medical attention ASAP.

Nobody had cell service up the canyon so I pulled out my trusty HAM radio and pinged a repeater that I know has lots of traffic in Utah and Salt Lake Counties. Immediately, a fellow responded and called 911 on my behalf.

By this time, the gentleman had insisted on getting to his feet in search of a comfortable place to sit, despite my protestations. Being that all of the other vehicles were huge JK's on 40s and Razr's, the front seat of the Xterra was obviously where he would be most comfortable. His son other individuals helped him into the front seat and adjusted the back to where he was most comfortable.

The dispatcher relayed the information to the local fire department and DNR (Department of Natural Resources) and within about 30 minutes we had DNR officers arrive in their side-by-side and a little while later some off-roaders had brought the EMT's on site from the parking lot in their personal side-by-sides.

The small rock ledge on the upper right corner is where the ATV flipped. The ATV can be seen on the left.

Once the EMT's had attended to the individual, it was determined to bring in a helicopter to life flight him out of the canyon to the hospital.

The helicopter picked a landing site about a 1/4-mile away. The flight nurses considered carrying him out on a back board, but ultimately asked if I wouldn't mind driving the patient, EMT and flight nurse back to the helicopter on an access road as gently as possible. I acquiesced and a convoy of vehicles followed.

I am glad I was able to help and get the man the medical attention he needed. Having a HAM radio in my vehicle got him to the hospital at least an hour sooner.

TLDR: Used my HAM radio to call for help for an injured ATV rider. Helicopter came and I transported the patient to the landing site in my Xterra.

BTW, is there an Xterra achievement for using your Xterra as an ambulance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:04 AM
2007 Solar Yellow Xterra S

Wow. Off roaders really are the greatest group of people, anywhere. Thank you for sharing, and good for you for "being willing to get involved".

My wife and I are storm chasers, and have also used our Ham radio to get help. In tornado damaged cities, the cell towers overload instantly. We have had to call for coroner as well.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:24 AM
Banned
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Bravo and kudos for having the sense to try and keep him still and not removing his helmet, too bad he did not heed your advice(Don't worry, they never do).

this is the main reason I took an EMT class at the community college a couple years back and will continue to take refreshers. Wilderness First Aid classes also teach a lot of skills that can be helpful when out in the middle of nowhere.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:01 AM
2006 Xterra SE

Garage
This is the absolute best story. In a world that sometimes feels competitive stories like this remind us that we are all out here to have fun and look out for each other.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:31 AM
Veteran
2007 Avalanche White Xterra SE, 4x4

That Thar! is a good KUDO's and earned Beer from all of us. Nice job, and Good use of the HAM radio's. That $10 dollar FCC fee was well worth it, and might just saved his life. Main reason, I have every Dang Repeater for my state in my Ham radio.. just in case.

GOOD JOB!!. And great use of the X for medical transport.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:36 AM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Very Well Done! Thank you for sharing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:08 AM
2005 Night Armor Xterra S

Made my monday morning. And that not an easy thing to do!

Cheers!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Good on ya!

Support small businesses that support us! -

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

Good on ya!!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:29 AM
Veteran
2012 Family Truckster Xterra Pro-4X

Great story. Out of curiosity, what kind of HAM are you using?

Do you think you would have been able to get the same reach w/ CB (you'd really have to be near a highway to get many listeners...).

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode