Oil Filter - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2005 Super Black Xterra SE

Oil Filter

Alright guys, still kinda new to this site but I love my Xterra and want to know what you guys like to use for your Oil Filters! Oh and what oil do you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:15 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra X

I used Amsoil for awhile and just recently switched to Royal Purple oil and filter

>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 12:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
Napa Gold. Every oil change

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 01:09 AM
Veteran
2008 Midnight Blue Xterra S

Mobile 1 high mileage filter and mobile 1 full synthetic oil. I also use the Fram extreme performance filter if the mobile 1 isn't in stock. I just changed my oil this weekend and for anyone needing to chang theirs soon Autozone has the mobile 1 on sale with a free mobile oil filter.

Click Here For >
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 01:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

You'll get a lot of different answers and fan boy replies. Really, there is lots of good stuff out there nowadays.

Personally, I run Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra Synthetic filter and change both every 5,000mi.

Support small businesses that support us! -

post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 01:48 PM
2006 Xterra Off-Road

Mostly...... Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W30 with Mobil-1 Extended Performance filter.

Recently..... Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 with a Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter. I might try Pennzoil Ultra Platinum at some point.

I change the oil about twice a year (roughly at 11k to 12k kilometers or every 7K miles).

The key to using longer-life synthetic oil is a high quality, longer-lasting filter.

-------------------------------

On the old 1993 pathfinder, I started out with high mileage Mobil 1 and then switched to Mobil 1 5W30 and later to extended performance 5W30.

That WD-21 3.0 litre engine pathfinder never leaked a drop of oil unless it was overfilled at Mr. Lube or on one occasion, one of the valve covers became lose which was quickly resolved.

This thread reminds me that once upon a time in southwestern British Columbia (late 1990s), most mechanics dismissed synthetic oil as not cost-effective or as a marketing ploy.

Man has that has changed. Now everybody uses/recommends synthetic oil.

---
Night armour Xterra 2006 Off-Road, after-market Bilstein shocks, 5th rear leaf spring, Michelin LTX M/S^2 4-season tires, Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 motor oil, JVC GPS/Receiver, otherwise stock. 205,000 km/127,000 miles. Handles steep loose rock very well.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 02:10 PM
Veteran
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra S

I use the Purolator PureONE oil filter and stick with either Valvoline or Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30. I use to use FRAM until I saw what the inside of those things looked like. Never again.

Click Here for >
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 04:44 PM
2005 Off-Road; Titan-Swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamX View Post
I use the Purolator PureONE oil filter and stick with either Valvoline or Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30. I use to use FRAM until I saw what the inside of those things looked like. Never again.
2x this.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 04:46 PM
Veteran
2012 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and k&n filter

Click Here for >
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 05:05 PM
2012 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

K&N's are crap now (Mexico) I roll with Purolator or Amsoil filters.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums..._in_Mexico_now.

Pro Photographer and Bosque Guide, chose the 2012 PRO-4X as my
new "Camera Wagon" replacing a long in the tooth [email protected]

Last edited by trenchmonkey; 04-20-2015 at 05:08 PM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode