What Have You Done for Your X Lately? - Page 2870 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 7373Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #28691 of 28725 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:01 PM
KC
Member - AKA Neptune
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Mounted my rear mounting brackets for my rock sliders with 1/2” type f screws today, instead of the 3/8” type f slotted screws given.
General_Tarfun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28692 of 28725 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:31 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Painted the wheels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28693 of 28725 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:45 PM
2010 Silver Lightning Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
Painted the wheels!

Looks sharp! What did you use?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
mtnbound likes this.

post #28694 of 28725 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:57 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFB View Post
Looks sharp! What did you use?
Thanks! I was torn between gloss and satin but I'm glad I went with the satin, it has just enough gloss to make the details stand out.

The paint is Mar-Hyde Black Satin, the stuff is awesome at adhering to the surface and you can use it on plastic, aluminum, steel, etc. Self etching so no primer needed, just scuff up the surface with a degreaser and a green brillo pad, wipe down with acetone and you're ready to paint. I've used it on all of my bumpers, the window trim, door handles, grille, and now the wheels.
mtnbound likes this.

post #28695 of 28725 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:00 PM
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
What Have You Done for Your X Lately?

Quote:
Painted the wheels!

Iím liking it too. And vaguely familiar. Yes, which brand did you use? I may consider smoothing off the faces and keeping texture inside the spokes. Yours looks smoother than my rustoleum truck bedliner.
Edit: beat me to the post. Just read above

Edit 2: how durable. That has a good look. I may want to do that to my sliders when they come in. More so the tops for standing on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWW FRELL!!!

Last edited by SledheadX; 07-13-2019 at 01:07 PM.
post #28696 of 28725 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledheadX View Post
Iím liking it too. And vaguely familiar. Yes, which brand did you use? I may consider smoothing off the faces and keeping texture inside the spokes. Yours looks smoother than my rustoleum truck bedliner.
Edit: beat me to the post. Just read above

Edit 2: how durable. That has a good look. I may want to do that to my sliders when they come in. More so the tops for standing on them.

I can't speak for the durability from personal experience, I painted my rear plastics first about 3 months ago and they look just as good now as when I painted them but 3 months isn't considered amazing haha. I read on a few other forums though back when I was researching which product to use and people were getting years out of the stuff without having to retouch. On plastic it acts more like a stain than a paint so scratches don't mess it up. On the wheels I have no idea but I'm thinking a rock would be able scratch through it but day to day driving should be no problem. One thing I like about it is that it doesn't peel.
SledheadX likes this.

post #28697 of 28725 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:38 PM
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
First oil change done today after purchasing in November. Yes, the dealer did the oil then: I checked. Pennzoil 5w30 full synthetic and Purolator One filter. Only put 3k miles on but want it done b4 trip to ECXC and Arkansas next week. I will say, that was the easiest change ever. Now Iíll probably order the Fumoto drain valve. (I got oil on my finger)

TerryD likes this.

AWW FRELL!!!
post #28698 of 28725 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:29 PM
2013 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
Changed the oil, transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, front differential, and rear differential. Whew that was a chore without a lift or a jack, but it's all done!

I'm not sure the transfer case had ever been done and it was FILTHY. We will see how it does, I'm hoping I haven't released a demon by switching in new fluid.

Rear diff was brownish but clear the front was a bit more opaque bit didn't seem awful. Transmission was actually a bit low and a bit dark but not awful so that was good, I was a bit worried since it was almost 40k since the last Transmission change.

Now I have to figure out that new noise is from the engine bay. 😞
mtnbound and TerryD like this.

Click Here for >
post #28699 of 28725 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:11 PM
2006 Granite Xterra Off Road

Garage
Quote:
I can't speak for the durability from personal experience, I painted my rear plastics first about 3 months ago and they look just as good now as when I painted them but 3 months isn't considered amazing haha. I read on a few other forums though back when I was researching which product to use and people were getting years out of the stuff without having to retouch. On plastic it acts more like a stain than a paint so scratches don't mess it up. On the wheels I have no idea but I'm thinking a rock would be able scratch through it but day to day driving should be no problem. One thing I like about it is that it doesn't peel.
Nice job! I'm using the same style on my OR, easiest factory wheels to clean/hose off. Send updates after you wheel some, hoping that product works well on wheels, I might use it in the future. I bit the bullet and powdercoated mine but ouch $70 a wheel, tough coating tho.
post #28700 of 28725 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:15 PM
2006 Granite Xterra Off Road

Garage
Found a mount location for the Warn, will build a bracket to tie it to the center support. Sits just behind the grill, on top of the winch cage, whew no need to source longer 2 gauge cables!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winch.jpg (114.6 KB, 23 views)

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode