What Have You Done for Your X Lately? - Page 2817 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 7108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #28161 of 28491 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:19 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Nice!

Time to get started on the ladder
Thanks @MartinX! It's been a long time coming. I bought the steel plate in January... And I've tinkered with it maybe once a week or two since and finally finished.
@Longboardr, I'm going to eventually make a ladder if I can figure the dimensions. Also will be buying the steel plate for my front bumper build soon. Seems a bit of a daunting task, but I'm looking forward to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28162 of 28491 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANSTAAFB View Post
I'd love to see more pics and how you designed/ built! It's a project I've kicked around but haven't had the time or resources to tackle yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I did take a lot of photos... I was thinking about adding them once I get up the nerves to make a Truck Build thread. Everyone else's rigs are so much nicer, I'm hesitant at least until I've got more to show. Haha.
post #28163 of 28491 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:32 PM
2013 Avalanche White Xterra S 5AT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam12SD View Post
Thanks @MartinX! It's been a long time coming. I bought the steel plate in January... And I've tinkered with it maybe once a week or two since and finally finished.
@Longboardr, I'm going to eventually make a ladder if I can figure the dimensions. Also will be buying the steel plate for my front bumper build soon. Seems a bit of a daunting task, but I'm looking forward to it.
Search around on here i think 29erclan made a write up on making your own ladder.

I rejuvenated a tired roof rack basket and wired up side and rear lights.

Adam12SD likes this.

This is my Signature
This is my Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #28164 of 28491 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:36 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ADVX View Post
Search around on here i think 29erclan made a write up on making your own ladder.
He did share a sweet ladder.

DIY: Hatch Ladder
Adam12SD likes this.

Carpe lardum

If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.
post #28165 of 28491 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
He did share a sweet ladder.

DIY: Hatch Ladder
Haha. I was just looking for it. Thanks! I'll have a gander. I think a ladder would be a sweet addition.
post #28166 of 28491 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:14 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Knight Armour Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisanerd View Post
Welcome to the club.
Thanks!

Quote:
Couple minor things to note:
For your head unit, do you have the Rockford Fosgate system in yours? If replacing the stock head unit, most of the audio sites recommend the wrong Metra harness (unless they finally updated it). The one you are looking for needs to have the RCA plugs, otherwise your amp will be super loud and have tons of distortion, as you need to connect it to the pre-outs on the head unit rather than speaker outs.
I'll keep that in mind, but it's already got an aftermarket head unit. Judging by the quality of the other mods it came with* I suspect the original harness has been cut and I'll have to wire it all from scratch. I haven't checked what harnesses are needed for speaker upgrades, but are the online suggestions correct for those? I'm going with coax so I won't need to worry about replacing the tweeters.

Quote:
For the keys, you might want to take this opportunity to go with the Rogue mod. Older Rogue keys have the keyless remote in the head of the key itself, and it is compatible with the Xterra. Super handy as you now don't have a separate key+fob hanging off your keychain. As long as you can get the key cut and transponder programmed, the wireless entry part can be done by yourself.
I saw that in the HOW-TO's (been creeping the forums for months now) but I think I like the separate dongle a bit better. I keep my car keys separate from the rest of my keychain anyways.

Tonight I reinstalled the battery, restarted it for the first time after oil change and plugs, rechecked the fluids, and pulled the driver's seat out to clean the carpet and RF subwoofer under it. Installed some MaxSpider mats while I had the sub out because they're too big otherwise and needed to be installed underneath it.

*Found some remnants of a chinese HID kit under the hood, bully dog coming out of a hole in the dash supported only by the HDMI cable, stereo mic not secured to anything, disintegrating block heat plug, etc.
post #28167 of 28491 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Not the X, but put coil packs in the wife's car yesterday. With the small sample size of our two vehicles I've come to the conclusion if you've got the means and you're one to drive your vehicle into the ground replace the coil packs, crank and cam sensors at 150k as preventative maintenance at your convenience before it becomes a light on the dash.
General_Tarfun, eighty and caain like this.

Carpe lardum

If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.
post #28168 of 28491 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:48 AM
2005 Xterra SE 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by caain View Post
After watching two idiots in big diesels damn near kill each other and run me and my 13 month old off the road, I installed a dash cam.
They should re-name I70 in Western CO diesel idiot interstate. Good call on the dash cam and strap that little one in nice and tight.
mtnbound and caain like this.
post #28169 of 28491 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Some random dude
2006 Solar Yellow ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarisphere View Post
I'll keep that in mind, but it's already got an aftermarket head unit. Judging by the quality of the other mods it came with* I suspect the original harness has been cut and I'll have to wire it all from scratch. I haven't checked what harnesses are needed for speaker upgrades, but are the online suggestions correct for those? I'm going with coax so I won't need to worry about replacing the tweeters.
Well that could be fun... Mine had an aftermarket head unit in it as well when I bought it, but still had the factory amp/speakers/sub (RF comes with those, base only had speakers, which is why there is a different harness). Mine was wired with the wrong harness, which is why I mention it to people looking at doing a head unit swap. Might as well do it right the first time.

I still have the factory speakers, so I don't know what harnesses are needed on that side. As far as I know, though, the speaker connections are the same regardless of whether you have the RF system or not. If you don't know for sure, the RF system has a sub under the driver seat, and an amp under the passenger. The base system doesn't.

Good luck, and hopefully there isn't too much more hacky stuff done to it. Once you get all the weird former-owner kinks worked out, these are pretty solid vehicles.
Solarisphere likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28170 of 28491 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:32 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2011 Silver Lightning Xterra S 2wd 5AT

Garage
Installed the wheel spacers I picked up from MartinX. Leveling kit should be installed this weekend if I have the time.

Not 100% sure I'll stick with the spacers after the lift, these might stick out just a tad bit more than my liking. Maybe I'll just get used to how it looks and keep them on.

Adam12SD and MartinX like this.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy” - Benjamin Franklin
2011 Nissan Xterra X 2WD AT
2011 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode