FREE: Some of my 3D Models - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2009 Avalanche White ❌terra OR

FREE: Some of my 3D Models

These were all created by me in the process of other projects. Released public domain for whatever use you want, but I may be off a few mm here and there so use at your own risk.
IGES files in the ZIP file should import into pretty much any software that will do anything useful with 3d models.

Happy Holidays fellow newXers!

Attached Files
File Type: zip The 29erClan 3D Model Holiday Gift Pack.zip (2.00 MB, 39 views)

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 09:57 AM
2013 Xterra Pro-4X

you made a model of the southco swing arm latch??

well that is pretty awesome.

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 07:43 PM
Veteran
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMcParland View Post
you made a model of the southco swing arm latch??

well that is pretty awesome.
The CAD for that is readily available from most distributors.

OP, are you a CAD jockey or an ME? Or just for fun?

post #4 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerX View Post
The CAD for that is readily available from most distributors.

OP, are you a CAD jockey or an ME? Or just for fun?
Just for fun. It really annoys me when I plan something to fit from the manufacturer specs and when I go to build it doesn't fit. I prefer to measure real things when possible.

post #5 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 02:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Awesome! Thanks for sharing with all. Kudos!

Support small businesses that support us! -

post #6 of 123 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I don't want to clutter up @caain's thread where I posted this first, and it's kinda based on the model here, so I'll just put this here too.

This is the onShape share link to all the files if you missed it in the other thread. And this is what the initial idea looked like:

The model is maybe finished now. Still need to make a complete one to test. Should be about 4-5 hours print time for all 5 parts. Here's what testing the button openings looked like:

I forgot to scale it up by the 2% shrink factor. Oops. The buttons will fit in there if a bit tight. They work and the truck will lock/unlock as normal. Maybe the tightness will help with keeping water out? Oh, I cancelled that print after only 10 layers. The real one has the buttons much closer to flush across the top.

Here's what I did to make the handles look a little less dumb:

It's 2-1/2" tall, it's hard to make a keychain-size gas can not look a bit cartoony. I want to get some black for the cap and red for the rest. Right now all I have is blue. It will need (4) 6-32x3/8" button head screws to assemble. There's also room on the back if you want to add name engraving or whatever. I left it plain for now.

EDIT: attached a ZIP file with the 5 STL files if you want to make one and don't want to deal with exporting from onShape.

EDIT 2: don't use this file, go to post #40 for the updates
Attached Files
File Type: zip rotofob.zip (592.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by 29erClan; 02-08-2019 at 11:44 AM. Reason: add zip file, concept pic
post #7 of 123 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Veteran
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29erClan View Post
The model is maybe finished now. Still need to make a complete one to test. Should be about 4-5 hours print time for all 5 parts.
This is making me just want to buy a big roll of red! I'm not having much luck finding less than 1kg spools in the stuff I like. I think I'm going to run one off in all black and see how it comes out for me. Thanks for doing this!

Do you want me to print a bunch of black caps and mail them to you? It would save you needing to buy black filament for such a small piece (unless you already need it for something else).

My X,

Last edited by caain; 02-02-2019 at 12:54 PM.
post #8 of 123 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caain View Post
Do you want me to print a bunch of black caps and mail them to you?
Thanks for the offer! No need for now though. I'll see what my daughter can do with her paints.

No big problems so far. I did forget to mold in a locating cut for the battery spring contact. Oops. The contact pad on the board is pretty big so I'll just get it close and put a drop of super glue maybe. There's also a spring on the the back of the board so the battery gets sandwiched pretty tight. The rubber button edge fits down in the channel nice but it might need more clearance. We'll see when the top case is done in an hour or so.

VMBiohazard and caain like this.

post #9 of 123 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Veteran
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29erClan View Post
Thanks for the offer! No need for now though. I'll see what my daughter can do with her paints.

No big problems so far. I did forget to mold in a locating cut for the battery spring contact. Oops. The contact pad on the board is pretty big so I'll just get it close and put a drop of super glue maybe. There's also a spring on the the back of the board so the battery gets sandwiched pretty tight. The rubber button edge fits down in the channel nice but it might need more clearance. We'll see when the top case is done in an hour or so.

Sounds good. I've still got a half hour on the back case and it's the first print I started so I probably won't get around to assembling it until tonight. I thought about just printing all the parts at the same time, but I'm playing around with different infill patterns and my slicer isn't smart enough to use more than one per print.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My X,
post #10 of 123 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Don't print the front just yet...

The front case does need a bit more clearance to get it to close up with the rubber buttons fitting inside. Everything else seems to check out fine.

EDIT: here's a new front case STL with more button clearance attached. It'll be about 2 hours until I can test it.

EDIT 2: don't use this file, go to post #40 for the updates
Attached Files
File Type: zip fob_front.zip (292.0 KB, 7 views)
VMBiohazard and caain like this.

Last edited by 29erClan; 02-08-2019 at 11:45 AM. Reason: update notice

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > The Marketplace > Free Items

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode