FREE: Some of my 3D Models - Page 5 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 04:18 PM
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29erClan View Post
New ZIP has all updated parts.

I'm also not having much luck on surface finish. That probably gets into the whole "upgrades" topic, huh?
It could have to do with printer settings too. Maybe try setting your starting height closer to the bed, but be careful you don't go too low and gouge the print bed. I use painters tape and my starting height is enough to mark the tape if plastic hasn't started extruding. Also try a slower print head speed, it takes longer to print but seemed to improve my printer quality quite a bit.

just my $0.02 and man these things are awesome! I cant wait for the OEM so I can print my own!
29erClan likes this.

2012 Metalic Blue PRO-4X<-- Mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2011 Black PRO-4X <-- Hers
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 <-- Mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 04:53 PM
Veteran
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
I'm also not having much luck on surface finish. That probably gets into the whole "upgrades" topic, huh?
Not necessarily - unless you're looking for a smooth finish like glass, which honestly has its pros and cons, really. Hawk136439 gave some good advice regarding printer settings. PLA likes to be 'smushed' more into the build plate vs. something like PETG. Are your first layers sticking well, and how often are you having to level the print bed? I usually use a piece of copy paper or a feeler gauge to set bed height in the ballpark, then tweak the 'z-offset' number in the Slicer for fine-tuning filament. I wish I knew a bit more about tuning delta style printers, but tuning for filament should be the same across most printers. I've gotten better results using this guide for calibrating.
29erClan likes this.

My X,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2009 Avalanche White ❌terra OR

Thank you both. I'll give painter's tape a try. Looks like the extruder calibration should have been part of the setup instructions... But I'm not sure how I can get there from here just yet. Looks like I'll have to learn some new software and get a USB cable. (I've just been sneaker netting files onto the SD card so far.)

I haven't ever leveled the print bed. It seems to do it by itself every time it prints. There was a bit in the setup instructions about adding this line:
Quote:
G29 C-0.8 Z0.5 ;auto-level
From what I understood the G29 tells it to go touch 3 switches near the columns and then it figures out the Z0 plane is 0.5mm above that. That's about how thick the sticker on the print bed is, seems logical.

For now I'll try the tape, and I'll see what I can do about doing the calibration as soon as I learn how to setup being able to.

Don't forget to get the latest version STLs so your panic button isn't off like mine was and the PCB stuff has clearance.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid -

post #44 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk136439 View Post
cant wait for the OEM so I can print my own!
Here's the files for the oem version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rotofob-oem.zip (2.02 MB, 8 views)
caain and Hawk136439 like this.

post #45 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Here's the files for the oem version.
I'll give these a shot later today. Are the handles and cap the same as the aftermarket version? From the filesize, it looks like the top may be different. The new version you posted for the aftermarket fobs prints perfectly!
29erClan likes this.

My X,

Last edited by caain; 02-09-2019 at 11:19 AM.
post #46 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:18 AM
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
You are the man! Already got the front printed and the back is printing now

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
VMBiohazard and 29erClan like this.

2012 Metalic Blue PRO-4X<-- Mine

2011 Black PRO-4X <-- Hers
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 <-- Mine
post #47 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caain View Post
. Are the handles and cap the same as the aftermarket version?
They should be the same. Both assemblies are built from the same common parts. I might have done the export wrong. They should be the high resolution STL. Does it look smooth or all triangly? I haven't tested the OEM prints, no power today. Very windy, probably a few trees came down.

I like the orange!
Hawk136439 likes this.

post #48 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Veteran

Garage
OEM version is printing now. I need to get some more screws - I've only got the four to hold one together at a time!

I think the red filament looks pretty close to the Rotopax red, but it's definitely not an exact match:

VMBiohazard and 29erClan like this.

My X,
post #49 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:48 PM
Veteran & LPM
2010 ❌terra S & 2010 Frontier SE

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caain View Post
OEM version is printing now. I need to get some more screws - I've only got the four to hold one together at a time!

I think the red filament looks pretty close to the Rotopax red, but it's definitely not an exact match:

So much need! Looks freaking amazing!
caain likes this.

>
&

>

>
|
post #50 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:59 PM
LBX
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Nice! I’d buy if you do a run to sell!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > The Marketplace > Free Items

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode