1st Timer excited to Join the Active Community - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Silver Lightning Xterra Off Road 6MT

1st Timer excited to Join the Active Community

Well, I just joined the club. Picked up an 06 OR, 6spd, 104k, Cooper Discoverer ATP's. Got a passing grade from the local Nissan dealer. Only negative marks on the Carfax was a failed emissions test in '16. I'll be the 3rd owner.

To my knowledge it has OEM TC/Tensioners, and Cats. How worried should I be of this/should I replace preemptively or wait?

I plan to change all fluids this coming weekend (its a new to me ride and cant hurt) and replace plugs and wires within the next 5k miles (per dealer inspection recommendation).

What else should I be keeping an eye on as far as normal issues that pop up around that 100k milestone. What should my first mod be for light back country driving here in CO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Midnight Blue ❌terra S

Garage
Welcome! Let's see some pictures! If it failed emissions already and is now passing, you probably have at least one new cat. Being an 06, that's probably what failed it.

With the manual, you don't have radiator issues to worry about.

Mildly Demented...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:42 PM
2006 Knight Armor Xterra SE

Welcome! I'm at around 115k mi on my '06 and have just changed my chains/tensioner shoes and passenger side cats. The chains and shoes definitely were finished, it had been whining a while.The cats actually looked quite nice inside. it was the outside that was disintegrating in my case.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Silver Lightning Xterra Off Road 6MT

Pics will be coming tomorrow. She is a bit dirty from the rain we just got so I gotta pretty her all up for the "before" photoshoot.
TerryD likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:01 AM
Well then...
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra X

Garage
Welcom abroad. This is an active and supportive community, unlike many from the ďmainstreamĒ off road vehicle make.
TerryD and bbuhlman like this.

Click Here for >
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Veteran & LPM
2010 ❌terra S & 2010 Frontier SE

Garage
Welcome from PA!

>
&

>

>
|
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 AM
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
Wonder how much it costs to get a 2006 from a dealer.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:39 AM
Well then...
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunjee View Post
Wonder how much it costs to get a 2006 from a dealer.

Depending on mikes, Iíd take a wild gander that under $9k. My 11 with 81k mi is about $11k on kbb.

Click Here for >
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:09 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Welcome! That's a fine year of X you have there, low miles for the year too.

The three things that matter most for keeping your X among the living are the radiator (replace to prevent potential fluid mixing from an early model defect, aka SMOD), I replaced mine at 114k. The timing chains will let you know gradually that they need attention, the noise starts off as a light supercharger-like noise that you hear sometimes and eventually will be loud and present all of the time except at idle. Any dealer can confirm it for you, by now they've probably done hundreds of these repairs. The dealer my brother worked at said they did the timing repairs every single day with a new truck. The third thing is the catalytic convertors. They are placed VERY close to the exhaust valves, they might as well be part of the headers with how close they are, if the cats fail and the ceramic breaks up the VVT (emissions speak for the engine pulls a bit of the exhaust back in on every stroke) the dust gets pulled in and usually destroys the rearmost cylinder piston rings. It's happened to a few people on here and they usually have to swap a new engine in.

Other than that it's all general maintenance, plugs are due at 100k, also we don't have 'wires' per say, we have coil packs. I'm not sure why they recommend replacing them all without having a current problem, I'm still running the originals at 163k, I just keep a spare in the cargo in case I have trouble out on the trails.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:03 PM
Administrator
2006 Silver Lightning ❌terra "S" 4x4

Welcome to TNX Site - Issued Membership Upgrade.

"D'Garv"
Member #272
Stock Silver Lightning AT
Live Free. Drink Good Beer. Eat More Sushi.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Welcome Center

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode