Yet another FNG to the Forum... - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AlbatrossCafe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Xterra

Yet another FNG to the Forum...

The wife and I bought my not quite 16 year old daughter a 2007 Xterra this week, so I'm here researching mods, the best way to keeping the old girl alive and running, etc.
Looks like a trans cooler bypass and a remote trans filter are in my near future as will be a new radio / nav system for her.
I have about a month and a half to get her into shape before her birthday and I have to relinquish the vehicle to her.
A through cleaning and detail will be administered during this time and I have already worked up a list of stuff that require attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Welcome!

Assuming you have an auto transmission - bypass is fine, but TBH the "right way" to fix it is to replace the radiator. Depending on temps, if you are towing/going up mountain passes, or offroading, you trans may overheat and go into "limp mode" until it cools off if you remove the cooling that the radiator provides.

It's not too much money and simple enough to replace yourself: https://frsport.com/koyorad-a2807-oe...0l-v6-at-05-11
skoozin likes this.

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trip Photos Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Mods first - life later."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
2015 Silver Lightning Xterra Pro-4X

Welcome in...good choice, now do some research

2005 S Model - 11 well served years
2015 Pro-4X Model

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM
Administrator
2006 Silver Lightning ❌terra "S" 4x4

Welcome to TNX Site - Issued Membership Upgrade.

"D'Garv"
Member #272
Stock Silver Lightning AT
Live Free. Drink Good Beer. Eat More Sushi.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Xterra

This one will be an asphalt warrior as a girls commuter car. No towing, off-roading or other shenanigans, but I do appreciate the advice. Summer temps get in the low 90’s so it’s not as hot as Phoenix or Vegas or Yuma.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 05:07 AM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

I would do your research here on Catalytic converters on here - or specifically their tendency to implode and ruin your engine.

At that age you should replace at minimum the two heater hoses with plastic ends. Better to replace all but those seem to be the two that fail first.

Also front wheel bearings and U Joints. There cheap, and a new driver may not notice them going out before its too late.

Good luck, and good choice.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 07:05 AM
Veteran & LPM
2010 ❌terra S & 2010 Frontier SE

Garage
Welcome from PA!

>
&

>

>
|

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Welcome Center

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in