Review: Curt Hitch - Page 5 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Veteran
2010 Xterra X

Hopefully I'll be doing this soon. Going to use JustNick's impact wrench. Hopefully that'll get the bolts off easy. I tried with PVC pipe as a cheater bar and no go. Those things are on there tight!
To bend the ends in, just drop the hitch on itself with a towel on the pavement. That should do the trick.
Why did you use an 18 on 19mm bolts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Veteran
2010 Super Black Xterra X

Nah, the ratchet tself was 18 inches ling, I had the right sockets. I would recommend doing a controlled bend rather than slamming, even with a towel you can still scrap it. I just saw this mf'er is on sale for 149 on their website!
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 03:02 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2010 Xterra 4x4

I had the same fit issue, i solved it by bending the the hitch mounting points. I held the hitch vertical and "gently pounded it on the ground on both sides, the contact points are actually malleable. Afterwards the holes line up a little better and as i torque the bolts in the holes, it bends back into place... GL

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 AM
Noobie
2010 Xterra Off Road

i installed rear and front curt hitches and didn't have a problem with lining up the holes.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 PM
2010 Xterra SE 2wd

There is nothing easy about this hitch. It will take 2 people to get the beast abover the muffler. I was hanging on the muffler while my dad finnagled it in and that **** took forever. We are both mechanically sound too. Then the bolts didnt line up.

I crossthreaded the last bolt and then kept going until it was all the way in. I should have checked these forums before installing that crap. If you want something easier..... go with ANY other brand. dont go with curt just becasue of the name.....
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 PM

Bump:

I purchased a used Curt hitch from a member here. I sanded it down and bedlined it this past weekend. Plan to install it Thursday morning at my friend's shop (with a full lift).

However, there is a slight problem; I lost the bag with the hitch mounting hardware! I believe it was 6 nuts/bolts.

Does anyone know the size/specs of the bolts for the hitch for I can go to ACE hardware or somewhere else sometime tomorrow and pick up a new set?

Thanks.
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Veteran
2010 Super Black Xterra X

They are 19mm, about 3 inches long. You can disconnect one of the stock ones and take it with you, they are essentially the same. They are tough to remove!
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2005 Xterra SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenNotStirred View Post
Bump:

I purchased a used Curt hitch from a member here. I sanded it down and bedlined it this past weekend. Plan to install it Thursday morning at my friend's shop (with a full lift).

However, there is a slight problem; I lost the bag with the hitch mounting hardware! I believe it was 6 nuts/bolts.

Does anyone know the size/specs of the bolts for the hitch for I can go to ACE hardware or somewhere else sometime tomorrow and pick up a new set?

Thanks.
I just did the exact same thing a week or so ago and the bedliner works great! I also did the job solo, without messing with any of the exhaust hangers, so it can be done. It is a bit of a pain, but it is possible. Mine took about an hour or so to get it in, maybe a little longer. I had to bend the mounting tabs and overshot the bend a little, but that was taken care of with the help of a section of 2x2 and an engineer's hammer once I had the lower bumper bolts installed.

You should only need 2 additional bolts, the other 4 are already on your X (bumper mounting bolts). And of course in Nissan's infinite wisdom, no, unfortunately the frame rail nuts are not the same as the bumper nuts so taking one of your bumper mounting bolts will not get you the correct bolts for the frame rails. All of the nuts are already welded into the frame of the X so I am not sure what you may have had in the missing bag.

Thankfully the guy I bought mine from (Jon the illest ) made sure that he gave me the two additional bolts so I didn't have to track them down.

Oh, and I highly recommend hitting all four of the required bumper mounting bolts with a healthy shot of B'laster the day before you try to remove them. I had two that I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get out without an impact gun. They finally broke free, but it was a PITA.

Last edited by 73mountaineer; 12-04-2012 at 09:43 PM.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Noobie
2012 Xterra X

I installed mine in about an hour. Dropped the spare tire to gain working room but left the exhaust system alone and used the tail pipe to rest the right side of the hitch on while starting the forward bolt on the left side. Everything fit up nicely.
High quality hitch. If I were doing it over I'd get the same one.

Still need to get some anti skid stuff for the step.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode