MaxGear Rear Bumper Review (WARNING: Lots o' Pics) - Page 4 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 60Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-16-2019, 03:48 PM
Veteran
2006 Night Armor Xterra OR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caain View Post
I've had mine for about a year and a half and the only reason I'd get rid of it would be to get another. I really wish I'd gotten the jerry can holder and hi lift mount. Your receiver on the swing arm idea is great - I wish I'd gotten that too!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
If memory serves, you can have the can carrier or the high lift mount, but not both. I think Dave said that there's a problem with both the space, but also the weight of a jack and two full cans stacked next to a heavy off road tire.

Nulla tenaci invia est via.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-16-2019, 04:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2010 Midnight Armor ❌terra X

Garage
Thanks for all the pics!!! I am drooling
kolsky likes this.

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-16-2019, 08:00 PM
Supporting Member
2006 Night Armor ❌terra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanGREENnugget View Post
I love my dual jerry can maxterra bumper. It is built right. One thing I would recommend is carrying an extra license plate light in your glovebox. I have had bad luck with them. I went through three within two years. The most recent one is still going strong at about two years. Keeping fingers crossed.
In reference to the license plate lights, I quit using the LED "bars" and went to the light Studs from superbrightled's. Have had ZERO failures, though I need to update the install instructions to warn folks not to overtighten them. They're aluminum, hollow, and fragile and not designed for 50#lbs torque

On the instructions, I usually email them out with final balance & tracking info, though I may have forgotten them, cuz my life has been pure HELL for the last couple of months!! Way too much going on, everything a rush job & trying to get ready for Gonemoab! Huge delays with the powdercoater and the metal fab place that does my laser & forming work!

I try to warn everybody up front, I only do this part time to my day job, and I'm lately putting in 12 to 14 hrs/day almost all the time anymore.
To quote Forest Gump, I think I'm tired!!
Absolutely couldn't do it without some of the assistance of some great friends whose help is invaluable!

Gas can carriers are the most popular item anymore, and they take me double the time to fabricate, final assemble and package. Lots of extra work goes into these for sure. Custom soldered wiring harnesses, lots of extra widgets, grinding/finishing, fabrication, etc. Packaging is thorough but time consuming too.

With the oversize weight/size fees from Fedex, going to start shipping a lot of these freight now. Less packaging and possibly cheaper.

This is why I don't do custom builds or lots of special requests, as I just don't have the time with such a deep backlog.
Also the reason I don't yet have front bumpers out, as were am I going to find 2 or 3 weeks to develop them....

Best regards to all,
Dave

>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within."
Douglas MacArthur

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Veteran
2006 Night Armor Xterra OR

Garage
Everyone stop ordering stuff from Dave (I want a front bumper, dammit!😋

You're a victim of your own success! Seriously, it's just the best there is, and we love you for it.
IM1RU, scoyoc, GDPearson and 3 others like this.

Nulla tenaci invia est via.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-21-2019, 11:37 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2015 Glacier White Xterra

That's awesome. Yeah, the wait is worth it. I like the single jerry can. I got the double. I ended up splicing, threading, and soldering my LED license plate lights. Every time the connection would get wet they wouldn't work, so I had to do the aforementioned and then shrink wrap. All in all I love mine. These things are incredible. The craftsmanship is unreal.

He goes exploring
Into the forest,
Never to return again.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-22-2019, 03:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
I drove 2,000 miles.. 30 hours round trip for mine.
scoyoc and MeHere! like this.

post #37 of 44 (permalink) Unread 05-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2010 Midnight Armor ❌terra X

Garage
I EM'd for a price list, I'm eager to check it out

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Click Here for >
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Unread 06-11-2019, 12:46 AM
Veteran
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra SE

Garage
I hadn't seen the photos of the bike rack in action yet and I have to say, that is freaking sweet man! Makes soooo much more sense. MaxTerra just went to the top of my wish list. Now, are you free at the end of the month to go wheeling?? :P

2006 Nissan Xterra:

post #39 of 44 (permalink) Unread 06-11-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmski View Post
I hadn't seen the photos of the bike rack in action yet and I have to say, that is freaking sweet man! Makes soooo much more sense. MaxTerra just went to the top of my wish list. Now, are you free at the end of the month to go wheeling?? :P

Like 29th/30th? I'm trying not to spend a single weekend at home for the rest of the summer. Spent the last 3 weeks at my new place moving and setting up. NO MORE! I don't have any plans yet. We should camp + bike or something for sure
dmski likes this.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

"Mods first - life later."
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Unread 06-11-2019, 10:17 AM
2012 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Maxterra's bumpers are the sh*t. I can't say it enough. It was insane how easily it was to bolt up. I get remarks on that before anything else on my truck wherever I go. It was a super long wait time, but Dave doesn't hide that fact when ordering and kept me posted along the way on where it was at in development, which I think lends to good customer service considering the other mentioned factors. The dude does it as a side job and has boat loads of orders. Think about "squeezing" something like that in your current lifestyle. He's legit. Personally, think he should do it full-time if the finances are there for him, which seems to be with the work-load and the knowledge/know-how to do the work.

I'd recommend him to anyone that has the option to have one of his products. Great work, Dave! Thanks again!

On a side note, as I was overly excited to open the packaging, my razor blade was out too far and hit the top part of the bumper face and put a scratch in it. Completely my fault. But I wasn't too upset considering it is an off-road bumper and not a show car being pushed across Barrett Jackson. I had a concern about that part of the bumper getting scratched up a lot though and worrying about good ole east coast rust setting in. I ordered a roll of protective, clear film for the top of the bumper face to protect it in the future. Lot of tailgating happens in that truck and two dogs jumping in the back and that film protects that bumper face from any more scratches. It is a lot like the protective film that is on the rear doors at the bottom. Wasn't expensive and pretty easy/forgiving to apply. I could get the name of what I used if anyone is interested.

Anyways, cheers to Dave and his kick-ass bumper!
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in