Review: TruckRuck Spare Tire Bag - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2014 Brilliant Silver ❌terra S

Garage
Review: TruckRuck Spare Tire Bag

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Ghost Wild, Ferro Concepts, or TruckRuck in any way. I received no product or discount for this review.

From their website:
Quote:
The TruckRuck™ was designed to be the ultimate ruck for your spare tire. It's roll top design allows you to maximize capacity, or to roll it down to a more manageable size when you need. One of the main features is the zipper across the front which is great for quick access.
Additional features: It has two compression straps and one long pocket per side. Both pockets and the main compartment have plenty of drainage for rinsing out or foul weather. 4"x6" loop Velcro allows the user to mount their desired patches. It mounts to a tire with an X strap system made of tubular webbing and metal cam buckles. Made from MilSpec 500D Cordura.
Dimensions:
Height: 25"-37"
Width: 23"
Depth: 9"
Manufactured in Canada with USA made materials
I paid $110.00 + shipping (but I see has since jumped to $129.00). You can order it in Black, Coyote Brown, Ranger Green, and Mulitcam. At the time of this post there was no upcharge to select Mulitcam (if you so desire). This was why I went Multicam as opposed to a solid color.
Photos:
Overall look. It has a 4" x 6" Velcro Loop just above the label, two heavy duty compression straps, and the zipper opens directly into the bag area. Compression straps are mounted MOLLE style, but at 3-inch intervals that would allow some mounting options. You'll notice that instead of using drainage grommets they use a nylon mesh which is heavy-duty and seems well-stitched. Water beads and sheds from the fabric.

The top is closed by rolling down and clipping (think dry bag). There is no flap that goes over and clips into place.

It is mounted using two 1 inch wide nylon straps into metal Cam Buckles as opposed to using wide straps into plastic buckles.

Interior stitching and strap mount point:

The side pockets are very large and can easily accept items. My picture shows a Nalgene bottle, which it accepts with tons of extra space. Pockets measured about 8.5" x 14" However, there are no top covers and no drainage for either pocket.

Initial Impressions:

This is my first purchase of a Spare Tire bag, so I have no direct experience with the Trasharoo (the standard). I did take tons of time researching both to try and compare in order to ask the inevitable question "Should I but one?" I found tons of articles, videos, and opinions about the Trasharoo, but almost nothing with regards to the TruckRuck. There are people running them, and seem to like them, but no specific information about running it. As it will be awhile before I received my spare tire bumper, it will take time before I actually can put together a long-term opinion.

To me, build quality is excellent. I really like the way it is overall built and stitched. The fabric itself (multicam pattern aside) looks like it will hold up well. Will it eventually fade as most Trasharoo owners have commented about theirs? It is too soon to say. It easily beads and sheds water.

What I like: Having an integrated Velcro pad is a big plus to me. I will definitely use it. But I'm a patch whore so that is me. I'm also a big fan of the nylon mesh at the bottom as it will shed water faster and allow more airflow if you happen to put wet items in the bag. It should also help keep some of the smell out. Like the top system of rolling and clipping, as well as the compression straps to hold items in place so it doesn't move around inside the bag. Having a few more mounting points on the straps allows for some customization that I will definitely try out. The Cam Buckles are IMO a better system of attachment then the Trasharoo's buckle system, although so far I haven't seen any failures in that area from owners (although I have heard of buckles disintegrating). I just feel like it would remain in place and less prone to failure.

What I'm keeping an eye on: The attachment point for the straps, while well stitched and reinforced, makes me wonder how it will last in the long-run. Being only 1", I'm thinking it may be stressed more than a Trasharoo, but the straps themselves I have no worries. Also the nylon netting, while heavy-duty, will keep me watching to see if there are any punctures from wood or stitch separation. The last thing I'm watching is the only plastic buckle to see how it holds up. But I get the feeling that that can easily be replaced.

What I don't like: The vertical pockets, while large and useful, do not have any way of closing of a cover to keep out the elements. And with no drainage, I can see it potentially filling with water. I may add a grommet to each pocket or add a flap but at this price point I would expect them to have figured this out. I also wish then would have incorporated a zipped pocket of some kind to put trash bags in, although I'm sure I'll simply come up with an alternative.

The Initial Conclusion: For $129.00, without more long-term testing, I wouldn't tell anyone happy with the Trasharoo that this was better. Given that you could buy 2-3 Trasharoos at this point makes me think that any criticism of it can be easily silenced by it's price. I really wanted to say that this was by far better, but that isn't the case. Time will tell if it can stand up to justify the price. I would say at this point if you're turned off by the Trasharoo, then this is a good alternative, but there are others as well. The lack of drainage in the pockets definitely adds to any comparison, as that could be a nuisance for some owners. Once I get it mounted up I'll explore more about it.

If you have any questions or would like more photos, let me know. I'll add some more and add to this post as time goes by.

Zombie Hunter: 2014 Silver Xterra S -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." -Alexander the Great
Overland Bound #13805; Tread Lightly! Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
More Photos:

Zipper Pull:

Better View of the mesh:

Bruin Modeling the size of the Bag. VooDoo Tactical Mojo Loadout Bag to the left with a Kelty Falcon 4000 to the right. Both are highly recommended.
VMBiohazard likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." -Alexander the Great

Last edited by Kilo Sierra; 10-09-2018 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Added Photos
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
[Reserved for Long Term]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 02:03 PM
Veteran
2010 Super Black Xterra Off Road

I have one of his plate carries and its held up very well. I have been eyeing the truck ruck for a while, i do agree with you that 1" webbing seems a little light for mounting straps.

-IG-x.treks- "No one can deny the pure flex of Un4seen4" - AlbatrossCafe
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Un4seen4 View Post
I have one of his plate carries and its held up very well. I have been eyeing the truck ruck for a while, i do agree with you that 1" webbing seems a little light for mounting straps.
I'm thinking that a slimmer strap works better with a cam buckle so it doesn't fold/jam when you're tightening?

It does have a nylon webbing loop in on the top between the two straps that I'm considering turning into a third attachment point directly to the tire carrier using a carabiner and nylon strapping to help support heavy weights and pull some of that stress away. I put a piece of paper behind it to show you.

I think some simple modifications might make this a great alternative. I think once you can past attachment points it will hold up much better over the long-term (at least that is my hope). I'm hoping if it ever gets to v2.0 they will work things out.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
I have a trasharoo and it is super faded even though its probably only been on the truck out in the elements about 40 days (I take it off when I'm not wheeling). Also with the plastic clasps, its a royal PIA to get on and tight so it doesn't sag down.

If this holds up, it probably is worth the extra $$.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 05:10 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

Nice bag, but I haul garbage on the spare tire.
Smelly, rotten, garbage.
That is a mighty spendy bag for hauling garbage.

TRUCKRUCK™

Regular price $129.00

trasharoo

$44.99

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHaynesUSA View Post
Nice bag, but I haul garbage on the spare tire.
Smelly, rotten, garbage.
That is a mighty spendy bag for hauling garbage.

TRUCKRUCK™

Regular price $129.00

trasharoo

$44.99
Yeah I did think about that. If that's your only use it becomes harder and harder to justify the cost. However that is one of the things I'll be doing with it so I'll be using a liner bag and give it a good cleaning.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

Most guys carry a Trasharoo on the spare tire.

It is the farthest away from the rig you can get with all of your refuse(and poop!)

For hauling other "stuff" I would put it on the top of the rig or in the trunk.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 09:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsexton View Post
I have a trasharoo and it is super faded even though its probably only been on the truck out in the elements about 40 days (I take it off when I'm not wheeling). Also with the plastic clasps, its a royal PIA to get on and tight so it doesn't sag down.

If this holds up, it probably is worth the extra $$.
Mine never sags and I have it adjusted where I never tighten anything. Just click the claps in and go. The trick is to put the top of the bag slightly (~2”) over the top of the tire. I’m going to go camping this weekend. I’ll take a pic to illustrate what I’m saying if you want.

Support small businesses that support us! -

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode