Review: Silky BigBoy 2000 XL Folding Saw - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kingtruc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
2011 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

Review: Silky BigBoy 2000 XL Folding Saw

Just picked up a Silky BigBoy 2000 XL folding saw. It's definitely worth the cost. I've got a Fiskars X25 axe (I've also had the X15 chopping axe) and have the Chainmate 24" survival saw (as part of my fire kit) and Sven 21" saw (lives in the wet box) too for context. None of those compare for getting through a log/branch/tree/stump. To be fair, the X25 axe is a splitting axe and I got it because I do more splitting than chopping.

I tried out the BigBoy on a 5" vertical stump today and it was a breeze to get through. The amount of material removed and how far through the material it went on the pull stroke was impressive. I went through the stump pretty quickly and without too much effort and, not that it matters, but surface of the cut was smooth. I wouldn't hesitate to pull this out on a 12" log, not something I could say about my other cutting tools. If this isn't part of your kit, it deserves some serious consideration. If you use this to process firewood, it'll pay for itself in no time.

I don't sell these and I'm not getting anything from this. I just can't wait to use this while I'm exploring and camping and thought I'd share.
Kilo Sierra likes this.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kingtruc; 04-01-2018 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Title clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Looks like a fine product

For those wishing something smaller, I can recommend the Corona Razor Tooth folding saw.
Typically, I use a saw such as this during deer season while climbing trees.
This saw can handle tree limbs up to 6"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RD7LRO..._t1_B0014C7WGS

“All that the South has ever desired was that the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved and that the government as originally organized should be administered in purity and truth.”
Robert E. Lee

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 04-01-2018 at 05:16 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:33 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

@LNXPenguin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:05 PM
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I have the Silky Gomboy one which is maybe 2” shorter than yours and I love mine. Works great on larger logs. I plan on getting the Katanaboy when funds become available.

Nissan Off-Roaders of the SouthEast (N.O.R.S.E.), Virginia Xterra Club (VAXC)
OverlandBound member #16797 "Adventr-X" Adventure is necessary.

Last edited by IssacHunter; 04-01-2018 at 10:16 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:19 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

Silky katanaboy s

Silky katanaboys
having seen the 500 mm and the 650 mm in action, I would go for the larger of the series for trail clearing in the spring.

Last edited by ChrisHaynesUSA; 04-01-2018 at 10:21 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:29 PM
2013 Pro4X 6M/T
2013 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT

I am a big fan of Silky blades as @ChrisHaynesUSA implied. I have the KatanaBoy 650 and the Gomboy 240 with large teeth. The entire line of saws has been very impressive. I had the KatanaBoy shipped direct from Japan for under $200, much cheaper than the US retailers. The Gomboy was about $35-40 direct from Japan (dependent on exchange rates). Cutting out the middle man keeps the prices reasonable. They go through a log in no time flat. I used the KatanaBoy 650 for big logs and branches, makes very quick work of trunks, stumps, deadfall blocking the trail (or stuff that fell on my fence during the storms). DO NOT use KatanaBoy for precision cuts where you need to stabilize piece with one hand. You run a serious risk of hurting yourself...mistakes you only make once (the cut through skin was painless until I cleaned it, it was like a razor cut and the skin laid back down flat, barely bled, except for cleaning it)! Hopefully you can save yourself the injury learning from my mistakes. That's why I got the Gomboy for smaller diameter branches and precision cuts, much easier to control safely. Wear kevlar gloves if possible. These are some seriously deadly (to wood and fingers) blades

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SILKY-KATAN...item2f141b5c4e I'll just leave this here. Get 'em while they're available. I think I got mine for $177.

I'm still looking for the KatanaBoy 1000, hopefully it will be released for purchase soon.

Professional amateur wanderer

Last edited by LNXPenguin; 04-01-2018 at 10:36 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
2011 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

Those Katanaboys are some serious looking saws. I can see those coming in handy for trail clearing and maintenance (and the zombie apocalypse).

I also saw a review where they put the Gomboy up against the similarly sized Ultra Accel and although the Gomboy was no slouch, the Accel got through the material with fewer strokes.

I think my Sven saw is going to be taking a nap for a long time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNXPenguin View Post
DO NOT use KatanaBoy for precision cuts where you need to stabilize piece with one hand. You run a serious risk of hurting yourself...mistakes you only make once (the cut through skin was painless until I cleaned it, it was like a razor cut and the skin laid back down flat, barely bled, except for cleaning it)!
Are we getting a glimpse into the kind of stuff that landed you in the ER this weekend?

Click Here for >
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 12:05 AM
2013 Pro4X 6M/T
2013 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtruc View Post
Those Katanaboys are some serious looking saws. I can see those coming in handy for trail clearing and maintenance (and the zombie apocalypse).

I also saw a review where they put the Gomboy up against the similarly sized Ultra Accel and although the Gomboy was no slouch, the Accel got through the material with fewer strokes.

I think my Sven saw is going to be taking a nap for a long time...

Are we getting a glimpse into the kind of stuff that landed you in the ER this weekend?
This was not what I was in the ER for. That injury just required a large bandaid and neosporin

The tooth size between the KatanaBoy 500 and KatanaBoy 650 are pretty significant, the teeth on the 650 are downright mean and T-rex looking

Professional amateur wanderer
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:47 AM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

But when are they gonna offer the 1000 here? This is 'murica, biggurer is bestest!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode