Review: Black Widow Gear Products - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By PhullD
  • 1 Post By PhullD
  • 2 Post By Grog the Canuck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Review: Black Widow Gear Products

Here are my thoughts/comments on some BWG items I ordered and a bit about my experience with them.

Top Hats for Toyota strut/spring Titan Swap
Paid $120CAD.
These were built to spec more or less and are still functioning as planned. I needed to tack weld the studs so they would not spin freely as the holes were a bit large/oblate. I feel like they could have drilled the stud holes better.

Bumper + Tire Carrier
Paid $750CAD
The hitch was braced, welds were fine, finish was fine, arm did not wobble at all. The latch was adjustable and held the arm closed nicely. I felt like the top and sides of the bumper could have been 1/2" longer on each side to fill the gaps and the mounting plate for the rear tire could have been straighter (I used wheel spacers to adjust how it sits). It would have been nice to have both BL and non BL holes pre-drilled.

When I ordered my bumper they were well aware I was rocking 35's. Their solution was to make the arm a center mount which I had no issues with. I was supposed to have some solution to mounting a licence plate and licence plate lights and a CB tab. I did not get any solution for the licence plate/light and had no CB tab (more on this later).

Set of Aluminum Skids (Engine, Tranny, Transfer Case, Gas tank)
Paid $835CAD
When I went to pick these up, we found out the holes for the transfer case were not right. Also the engine skid was totally off. It ended up being the digital file and not any human error. I had extra holes drilled for the transfer case skid and was going to have the engine skid delivered/shipped later (never received). There were some grind marks on the skids and some of the edges were sharp but I didn't care because they are underneath the vehicle. The skids I got I was happy with as the price was cheap.

Rock Sliders With Kick-outs
Paid $375CAD
When I asked about the rock sliders I wanted them slightly angled up , for a 2" BL and with kick-outs and they were to weld them on. They moved so I was left with weld-on sliders I had no means to weld on without paying someone to do it. They were not angled and had no kick-outs. I can't remember if they were adjusted for a 2" BL or not. The finish on them was nice though lol!

Rear Molle Panel
Paid $60CAD
Didn't fit in the cubby hole. Abandoned in a friend's garage LOL!

My Experience:
Initially they were really open with communication and nice to work with. When it was time to start on the sliders and bumper they moved shop and then went silent. During this time I ordered White Knuckle sliders and a Maxterra bumper to salvage what I could from the wheeling season. I did so with intentions to sell the items should they resurface (at this point I was optimistic they were just dealing with a sh*t show).

The sliders gave me a bad feeling since they were nothing like I wanted. I didn't bother contacting them, I was just too fed up. I managed to sell them at a 100$ loss and was really happy with the White Knuckles already on the truck.

When I contacted them about the issues with the licence plate for the bumper they wanted me to ship the whole bumper back to them on my dime. Knowing I was going to sell the bumper (at a loss) with a Maxterra on the way, I declined to spend another $300 in shipping. I asked for just a new adjusted arm with a cb tab and some solution for the licence plate and there was never an answer. I even gave them all the measurements, but still no answer. I was also forced to buy a Hefty aluminum engine skid as the one I ordered from BWG never showed up. They claimed they had already shipped my engine skid but nothing was ever sent.

I feel like a lot of the issues with the finishing on their products is just sloppiness/laziness on their part. Kind of like someone at the shop was like "meh good enough" and sends stuff out. Not providing products that were paid for is just a huge piss off for me. The little details matter, giving your customers what they asked for is just common sense. How they dealt with all my issues left a poor taste in my mouth which is unfortunate because it was promising at one time. All in all it was a waste of time and money dealing with them. After selling the bumper and sliders, I essentially spent $1515CAD and only ended up with 3 aluminum skids, a set of top hats and a useless molle panel. Others may have a different experience now that their new shop is up and running, but I won't deal with them again.
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PhullD; 01-05-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

lol can't believe I missed this post.

That's pretty bad. You are a lot more patient than most. Anyone else would have been raging for months on here. There is noting worse in my mind than paying several hundred $$ for parts only to have them arrive and still need additional work/modification.

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trip Photos Page -

"Mods first - life later."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
lol can't believe I missed this post.

That's pretty bad. You are a lot more patient than most. Anyone else would have been raging for months on here. There is noting worse in my mind than paying several hundred $$ for parts only to have them arrive and still need additional work/modification.
I'm not a bandwagon jumper and didn't want to bash them out of spite. I knew the shop was packing up and moving and then had an issue where the movers didn't know the address and instead went to Toronto instead of Nova Scotia (hundreds of miles away). Lawyers got involved with the moving company etc etc.

I was expecting things to be made right afterwards (the real test of any company) and notified a couple people on here. It wasn't and I looked like a dumbass but whatever. I had an issue with a few things I ordered from Nisstec, they made it right, I had a couple things with the Maxterra bumper and Dave made it right. That's what makes all the difference. So I simply posted my honest review of what happened and people can judge for themselves.
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:41 PM
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
At this point I think it would be an smaller thread of people posting positive experiences from them... Can't say I've seen a lot of good from them. All your experiences and Zacks issue with the engine skid and someone else got one of their stock bumper winch carriers and went back and forth with them.

Nissan Off-Roaders of the SouthEast (N.O.R.S.E.), Virginia Xterra Club (VAXC)
OverlandBound member #16797 "Adventr-X" Adventure is necessary.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IssacHunter View Post
At this point I think it would be an smaller thread of people posting positive experiences from them... Can't say I've seen a lot of good from them. All your experiences and Zacks issue with the engine skid and someone else got one of their stock bumper winch carriers and went back and forth with them.
Yeah it was Zheking and one more person got a junk rear bumper.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:25 PM
TNX Realm Noobie - AKA Grog
2008 Xterra X

They are very bad news and an embarrassment to Canadian Xterra and Tacoma owner, BBB files, BBB Scam Alerts, RCMP files abound, Do the reserach and you won't touch them with a 10' hood prop,

Grog The Canuck
AlbatrossCafe and ZheKing like this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode