Review: Wipe New Trim Restore (Long-term On-going Review) - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Review: Wipe New Trim Restore (Long-term On-going Review)

I spent some time searching the internet for products to restore and protect the plastic trim on my Xterra (there's a lot of it). This stuff had lots of good reviews and a reputation for being long-lasting, so I picked up a box at AdvanceAutoParts decided to give it a try. I'm planning to periodically update this thread over time to see how well it lasts long-term as a service to the forum members considering something less dramatic than plasti-dip. My plastic trim wasn't terribly faded to begin with, so your results may vary.

Follow the directions. It's pretty easy to apply, just avoid get it on glass or paint. I first cleaned off all the plastic I was going to treat and used masking tape to protect the headlights (although this can be used on headlights), metal and windows. It has a very powerful smell, so be sure to apply outdoors. I wetted one of the small lint-free rags they include with the bottle and found it was sufficient to treat the front bumper and side trim easily. A little goes a long way.

Here are a couple before and after photos for now. Feel free to ask questions or add stuff to the thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WipeNew before 6-19-17 (800x600) - Copy.jpg (277.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg WipeNew after 6-17-17 (800x600) - Copy.jpg (251.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg WipeNew after 6-19-17 (800x600) - Copy.jpg (293.8 KB, 83 views)
eighty and BlackbirdSR71 like this.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:19 PM
2013 Xterra Pro-4X 5AT

@eighty

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk
eighty likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 09:55 AM
2005 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeolJon View Post
I'm planning to periodically update this thread over time to see how well it lasts long-term as a service to the forum members considering something less dramatic than plasti-dip.
Long-term on-going review thread FAIL.

Jon, you forget about this? lol

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:19 AM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
I use Wipe New at least twice a year.

For what it's worth, I've not found another product which works any better.

I've been told Chemical Guys has a product which works well on black exterior trim, but I've not tried it yet.

www.chemicalguys.com
TurboChris likes this.

All that the South has ever desired was that the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved and that the government as originally organized should be administered in purity and truth.
Robert E. Lee
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChris View Post
Long-term on-going review thread FAIL.

Jon, you forget about this? lol
Sorry, thanks for the reminder.

I applied Wipe New last summer. I did all of the exterior plastic in June except the roof area, which was done in August. The truck sat in the hot Texas sun through October, survived a winter in Utah, and has been through at least a dozen car washes. Rarely garaged or covered.

Here are some photos taken shortly after I washed the car yesterday, ~10 months after application. The first 3 show areas that have generally less direct sun exposure. The plastic still looks great, water beads, and the Wipe New doesn't seem to have worn off at all. Compare to the first set of photos at the top of the thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front bumper plastic.jpg (145.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg side trim & handle.jpg (147.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg mirror plastic.jpg (123.9 KB, 32 views)
LBX, LoneLeaf and TurboChris like this.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

Last edited by GeolJon; 04-10-2018 at 11:09 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Another set of "after" pictures:

Rear bumper step barely shows any fading, except, if you look closely, where I didn't apply it as carefully or completely along the sides of the step treads.

I didn't clean off the roof box/air dam very well, so it probably doesn't look as good as it otherwise would be. A little fading after ~8 months, though the water still beads fairly well. Remember this is probably one of the the most sun and weather exposed parts of the truck. I also didn't treat it quite as thoroughly as other parts. Also, there the chalky white near the front is excess car wax that I still need to wipe off.

The rear wiper arm and back door latch were the most faded and sun exposed before I treated. Looking at those areas, there is some fading of the Wipe New, but it still looks much better than when I started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear bumper plastic.jpg (136.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg air dam plastic.jpg (168.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg rear wiper.jpg (149.1 KB, 30 views)
TurboChris likes this.

Last edited by GeolJon; 04-10-2018 at 11:35 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
One last photo of the plastic below the windshield. Also, I should have cleaned it off before taking the photo. This spot shows fading, though I think it is largely due to the fact that I didn't apply Wipe New very thoroughly because the bottle was nearly empty. Still, looks better than when i started.

To summarize:
Wipe New is the best stuff I've found for exterior plastic (though smelly), and lives up to its promise if you follow the directions on the box closely.

Thorough treatment with Wipe New on exterior plastic can easily last a year, although for best results, you probably want to retreat the most sun and weather-exposed areas (e.g. rear door handle, rear wiper, air dam) twice a year. And after it dries initially (~24 hours), it is not sticky, so you don't need to worry about dust and bugs either.

How's that for a long-term review? Any questions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plastic windshield.jpg (152.2 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by GeolJon; 04-10-2018 at 11:36 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Good review and update. I actually picked up a bottle last week that I'm going to put on soon. The instructions emphasize pretty heavily keeping the surface out of the sun for 24 hours after applying, did you follow that part exactly?

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
Good review and update. I actually picked up a bottle last week that I'm going to put on soon. The instructions emphasize pretty heavily keeping the surface out of the sun for 24 hours after applying, did you follow that part exactly?
I don’t think I was able to keep it out of the sun completely for 24 hours, but I definitely made sure that it wasn’t going to get water on it. I applied it in the evening and tried to keep it in the shade as much as possible the following day.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 01:08 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE

Garage
Is it slippery?
When it gets wet after curing does it get slick?

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode