Review: Wipe New Trim Restore (Long-term On-going Review) - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezdaar View Post
Is it slippery?
When it gets wet after curing does it get slick?
After drying, it isn't noticeably slick or slippery. When wet, it doesn't seem to be much different than what the plastic is by itself.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 12:07 PM
2005 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeolJon View Post
How's that for a long-term review?
Wish I would have tried it before I painted all the plastic......Great Review!

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:31 PM
TNX Realm Noobie

The instructions tell you to degrease with liquid dish soap and then spray and wipe with trisodium phosphate. Did you all do this step? (I finally break down and buy the car wash trip with wax....)

GeolJon, Re your quote, although I'm not a geologist and never played one on tv, during one week in 1999 I did witness 5 or 6 eruptions of the Soufriere Hills volcano on Montserrat; the best eruptions to watch were at night, when it was easier to see the ejecta, like large boulders glowing red-orange rolling down its flanks into the jungle. The villa we were in had shutters, but no glass (like they all did, to allow the air to circulate) and ash would drift through the slats. In the morning, there were small pits on top of the lap top computer's lid due to the high humidity combining with the high sulphur content of the ash and (I'm guessing) making a bit of sulphuric acid. I bought some souvenir post cards of the volcano and when customs was checking my stuff on the way out I joked that I really didn't think it was a volcano in the picture, but was probably just a Marley family picnic making all the smoke. You'd have thought I'd dissed the Queen. "You cant say that about Bob Marley, sir!! I'm confiscating this postcard!!" At the end of that same week we'd had a Class 1 hurricane; flew out to Oregon coast in time for a low grade typhoon to blow in. Interesting times. Lots of earth quakes living in Alaska. Mostly they're kind of cool, until you get hit by one that goes on for a bit. Starts you wondering about "to run outside or maybe stay here and die warm?"

Last edited by Alaska Viejo; 04-26-2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: clarity

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:04 PM
TNX Realm Noobie

So I washed down the trim with Dawn dish soap and will follow with 409 cleaner in the morning. While washing, I was noting lots of plastic trim (black grill, kind of silvery dividers of the grill, then either plastic or painted metal on the roof rack and wet gear bin, and I'm wondering what folks are doing on those parts. (So glad this site exists!).
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Viejo View Post
The instructions tell you to degrease with liquid dish soap and then spray and wipe with trisodium phosphate. Did you all do this step? (I finally break down and buy the car wash trip with wax....)

GeolJon, Re your quote, although I'm not a geologist and never played one on tv, during one week in 1999 I did witness 5 or 6 eruptions of the Soufriere Hills volcano on Montserrat; the best eruptions to watch were at night, when it was easier to see the ejecta, like large boulders glowing red-orange rolling down its flanks into the jungle. The villa we were in had shutters, but no glass (like they all did, to allow the air to circulate) and ash would drift through the slats. In the morning, there were small pits on top of the lap top computer's lid due to the high humidity combining with the high sulphur content of the ash and (I'm guessing) making a bit of sulphuric acid. I bought some souvenir post cards of the volcano and when customs was checking my stuff on the way out I joked that I really didn't think it was a volcano in the picture, but was probably just a Marley family picnic making all the smoke. You'd have thought I'd dissed the Queen. "You cant say that about Bob Marley, sir!! I'm confiscating this postcard!!" At the end of that same week we'd had a Class 1 hurricane; flew out to Oregon coast in time for a low grade typhoon to blow in. Interesting times. Lots of earth quakes living in Alaska. Mostly they're kind of cool, until you get hit by one that goes on for a bit. Starts you wondering about "to run outside or maybe stay here and die warm?"
Pretty cool. I haven't yet seen much of an eruption (yet) other than the lava lake on Hawaii and some smoke coming out of Stromboli in Italy. I have been to a couple of recently erupted volcanoes though. One of the criteria I want wherever I live is whether there is active tectonics. For that reason, Texas was too boring for me.

I used dish soap and maybe a little rubbing alcohol to prep. And don't forget to tape off the areas around where you want to treat. It didn't really do much for the shiny metallic plastic on the bumper (although that part didn't need it anyways). I removed the wet box from the roof to treat it.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 02:40 PM
TNX Realm Noobie

Well, in spite of the hype to the contrary, it is boring here unless you're into malls and such (or grandkids). I'm sure that if one is waiting for the New Madrid fault to let go, it could be a long wait. Although the last time it did, I understand the Mississippi ran backwards (to the north). I was living in the Seattle area when St Helens let go; when the 'boom' arrived, I thought a bird had flown into one of the windows. Not sure how long afterwards it was, but it was a clear enough day that we were able to see the plume. There was a news organization cameraman near the mountain when it erupted, who kept recording video as he walked out in heavy ash downfall. It's an incredible thing to watch. Forget which channel it was. The dust was a PITA - people were putting panty hose over the opening for their engine air intakes to cut down on the amount of powdered quartz that made to the combustion chambers.

Back to the X - the sloping surface forward of the bin - did you use the product on that surface also?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Yes, I removed the roof box to treat it, then did the rest of the plastic on the roof in place. Also pulled the covers off my roof lights to apply it closer to the ground.

I actually have worked as an adjunct teaching a college natural disasters course online for the last 2 years, so I’m pretty familiar with New Madrid and other hazards across the country. Have also done a considerable amount of research on geophysical (earthquakes & tsunamis) hazards in Indonesia and the mountain west. Fascinating stuff to me.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 05:20 PM
TNX Realm Noobie

Hey, thanks for your help on the Wipe New application. Good luck on going through that earthquake! But be careful what you wish for...
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:27 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Garage
I didn't get as much life out of this stuff as I was hoping for on my rear panels. Oddly enough the wetbox has held up the best overall. I've started seeing prices in the $50-$60 each range for the rear bumper plastics so I'm leaning more towards just buying new and using a UV protect on it this time.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode