Review: Black Widow Gear Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier - Page 11 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 109 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:26 PM
Veteran
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra PRO-4X AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14xterrapro4x View Post
I just got an email from PayPal saying that they determined they can't make a ruling in my favor. They suggested I contact the seller to work something out if I'm still not happy!!
Holy cow... Did PayPal say why they ruled as they did? I took at look at PayPal Canada's buyer protection agreement, and the only exclusion not clear to me is this one: "Significantly Not As Described claims for Custom-made items". I don't know if they consider this bumper as "custom-made". Obviously somebody is making it, but it is an existing design they are advertising on their website for sale so anybody can buy it. That to me means it's not "custom-made". So I don't get why PayPal ruled in their favour.

How much cash are you out on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_attack View Post
I bought a rad skid from them. I don't want to put a company out of business. The rad skid needed adjusted and I didn't bother contacting BW because I want to be easygoing and I knew they were dealing with bigger problems.

Vendor purgatory is tough to get back from and will further limit our selection of steel goodies. I vote nay, but we should have a "what has been your experience with..." thread for BW.
I can understand that, to a point. I think what matters though is not that something got screwed up, as screwups can always happen, but it's how the vendor deals with the customer to help resolve it. It sounds like the vendor is not taking responsibility for their product and are ignoring the customer. So they expect to just keep making the same stuff and making even more people upset? That won't last long.

A principle of the BBB is that members are committed to responding to customers to try to resolve complaints. Unfortunately these guys obviously aren't a BBB member, and I couldn't find any complaint record for the name "Black Widow Gear". Honestly I'm not even sure they are really a business, in the full legal sense. They're making stuff and selling it, but I don't know under what business status, if any. Also it seems they moved from Gatineau (near Ottawa) to Nova Scotia, which sounds more like a personal move than a business one.

Anyhow, all that to say that the way the vendor responds to the customer is what matters, and here it seems the response is unacceptable. I think that alone warrants the serious discussion about vendor purgatory for them. I think we want to safeguard our other Xterra owners before worrying too much about somebody else's challenge to get back out of purgatory. If they're honestly trying to do good by their customers and want to make things better, they'll make some effort to do that.
@14xterrapro4x hoping this still works out for you somehow. If I were a good-sized "competitor" of theirs I would happily get you one of my products at a steeply discounted price to replace the their defective one!
ZheKing likes this.

KDJ | Ottawa, Canada
2015 Xterra PRO-4X 5AT |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 2009 Frontier SE-V6 4X4 6MT (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Lone Leaf Photography |
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 01:53 AM
Noobie

Glad I found this thread. I had high hopes of ordering, but will consider using a bigger name now.
post #103 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

@Darren_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_R View Post
Glad I found this thread. I had high hopes of ordering, but will consider using a bigger name now.
Two Words....

MaxGear Armor

There is nothing better.

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.

post #104 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1RU View Post
@Darren_R

Two Words....

MaxGear Armor
There is nothing better.
It's true... there are people on here who've driven 13 hours one way to pick up one of his rear bumpers.

post #105 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1RU View Post
@Darren_R

Two Words....

MaxGear Armor

There is nothing better.
Thanks for the recommendation! I can't seem to find a website for the guy. Does he have one?
post #106 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 11:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheKing View Post
It's true... there are people on here who've driven 13 hours one way to pick up one of his rear bumpers.
Whoever did that was super desperate/crazy...
ZheKing likes this.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

"Mods first - life later."
post #107 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 01:00 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUXterra View Post
I ordered sliders from BW and was generally pleased overall. They were off a little with the mounting holes, but nothing major; a quick hit with a drill bit to round out the holes fixed the 1/8" alignment issue on 2 of the 8 mounting spots. We're they a direct bolt on? Yes with a little work.

I will say that the mounting recommendations need some work as I wheel my X hard. I was fortunate to order the slider mounting brackets from Remy (NXRocks) before he shut down operation. I had all of the slugs, bolts and welded nuts in hand when I mounted them. I'll see if I can find the pics to show what I mean when I get home next week.

At the end of the day, I'll buy from them again, though I already have SW front & rear, NXRocks skids...not sure what else BW has to offer as of late.

I had a quick turn around...that was 4 years ago I believe. Canadian fab company = lower shipping, no customs & no exchange for CDN X owners.
I am in BC..looking for skid plates and rock rails. Nice to have a Canadian company to reduce shipping costs. Its a big job for any of the local fab shops to produce the skid plates. They can do rock rails though. After reading this I am not sure if I should order the skid plates from them.

Last edited by Thunderbumm; 12-14-2017 at 01:33 AM.
post #108 of 109 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation! I can't seem to find a website for the guy. Does he have one?
He does not. Email him at [email protected]

He'll send you a product sheet.
Darren_R likes this.

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #109 of 109 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:16 PM
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njnewbe View Post
Update. Bumper still isn't built because they cut the mounts on the main bumper plate too wide. 3/4 an inch too wide. Said they'd send a new one cost free. Two weeks later and no plate. Really regretting my purchase.
If anyone is wondering Black Widow Gearís service, delays, lies and all around business practices have gotten MUCH WORSE! 10 months and still waiting, emails arenít responded to, refund requests refused, lies all over the place and personal blasts about customers on Facebook by both husband and wife when customers try to publicly (due to the company not dealing with the issues) express concerns with their orders. This is the most unprofessional dysfunctionally run business Iíve ever come across.

Last edited by Old Navy; 04-08-2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Edited Post

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode