Review: 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Review: 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System

Recently, my mother noticed and started complaining about the way her headlight lenses looked yellow and cloudy on her Highlander. I told her I would give this product a try on them.

The system is a 4 stage process. It starts with a coarse sanding, then a light sanding, followed by a wet sanding, and finally a buff/polish. The kit includes a drill insert that the also included sanding discs stick to. The process was quite simple and the directions easy to follow. I finished both, what I call large headlight lenses, in about two hours.

As far as the results go, my original skepticism about there not being enough sanding discs to complete the rather large lenses I was working on turned out to be valid. Additional discs could have made the sanding process more even as these discs tend to clog with dust quickly and become useless. Basically, my lenses have a few spots that have buff/sanding marks on them although you would have to get really close to see them. The instructions suggest to go buy another kit and go over them again to be sure everything is perfect, but to me, this is good enough as the yellow is gone and that is what bothered her most of all. Overall, the product works as desired and I am quite pleased with how the lenses turned out.

I don't have any pics of the kit parts, but here is the instructional video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA

...and my low quality cell phone pics:

Before:

During first sanding stage:

After:

Last edited by Old Navy; 09-03-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Veteran
2006 4Runner Limited

looks like $13 well spent, to me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra S

I used a similar product on my girlfriend's Jetta. Was pleased with the results but like you said, it could come with more sandpaper. Easy to do tho since you attach it to your cordless drill.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Veteran

I used the 3M kit on a pair headlights that had some sort of what looked like chemical etching covering half of the cover. Tried other kits first - no joy.

The 3M kit worked great for me. Took a long time to get an even finish on the first pass but then it went fairly fast. I kept knocking the residue out of the paper and had sand paper left over.

Toy Man
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra 4x4 arb rear locker

I just use BRASSO liquid polishing compound for metal with a cotton wrag and it works pretty well too... no sand paper needed.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 01:08 AM
x10
Veteran
2010 Xterra S

Good suggestion good to know there are other polishes that can do the job
Posted via Mobile Device

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode