Review: HID Projectors - Page 4 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 07:57 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2008 Xterra S

Garage
Fair enough. What qualifies as a good quality LED strip light? Any particular brand that you recommend?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 04:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
Well, since this hasn't been updated since 2017, I figured I will add my review to it.

For me, it's 2.5/5 stars. The issues I had really were not with the projector / shroud or things to do the actual kit, it was either CS, or quality of everything else. The lighting output is great, ultimately very easy to do the retrofit.

I ordered the H1 Mini Gatlin gun kit with no devil eyes. Because I don't care about devil eyes / angel eyes or any of that crap. (https://www.hidprojectors.com/collec...t-yourself-kit)

The first issue, no screws to attach shrouds to the projector. I e-mailed them about it, "we don't include screws because of the various ways people set them up, these are the screws you need, you can purchase them from any hardware store. I will recommend they add screws to these kits". Well, there may be "various ways to set them up".. but I'm pretty everyone has to screw the shrouds to the projectors... I felt like it was a cop out answer. Just say "sorry, we forgot them, we can mail you some, or you can just go buy XX screw if you don't want to wait" (which I would've gladly done because I didn't want to wait, instead, I had to go purchase them with a bit of resentment)

The second issue I had (is a 2 parter). the ballasts they use have an EXTREMELY short harness on the canbus side (I'd of just preferred to not even have the canbus crap all together). personally, I'd of liked to have the ballast mounted back further in the fender, I just couldn't do it because (see part 2), the harness just wasn't long enough. Even where I did mount it, luckily there was a gap between the headlight mount and fender to run the wire and GIANT canbus module behind it.

Part 2 of issue 2. the relay harness was EXTREMELY short... I guess they assume every kit they're selling is for a Honda Civic or something (even though they ask you your make / model when ordering). You'd think when they saw "Nissan xterra" they would of said "oh man, a big SUV, maybe we should include a slightly longer harness".. but they did not. I'm sure it's because they just have one "general generic harness" they throw in with every kit, which to me seems lazy...

How I wanted to run the harness...

Vs. How I had to run the harness.

This is why i had to move the ballast so far forward as well, the harness wouldn't reach otherwise.

Issue 3 - The socket plug. It was extremely cheap. Had a heck of a time getting one to de-pin to get the hi/lo in the correct order because it was so cheap (once again, why even ask your make / model if they're going to send it to you pinned in the wrong order?). the plastic bent / broke / collapsed very easily when trying to push the pins through... and it also didn't want to hold the pins in. I had one pin that kept splitting in the middle when I'd try to plug it in to the stock harness because the cheap plastic didn't want to hold it in firm. Ultimately, I had to take the harness on the vehicle side and jam my pick in it to make the spade openings larger to prevent it from happening, which I HATED to do. It just felt cheap in general.

Issue 4. The in line fuse... Seriously.. an uncovered fuse with nothing securing it? There really isn't much explanation needed on this. This just pure 100% plain and simple BEING CHEAP... to save what? .10 cents? needless to say, I cut it out and soldered in a covered fuse (seen pictured)

Other issues I had, the retaining washer I had to slightly sand / grind down to get it to fit... I don't know if I can attribute this to Nissan's headlight reflector being slightly smaller than the standard, or their washers being slightly larger than the standard. Either way, it was annoying.

Pre-sand

Post sand

The reflectors / shrouds seem great. Everything else seems cheap, in the tune of saving a few cents here and there, and customer service was a little lacking.
TurboChris likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 12:12 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2008 Xterra S

Garage
Hey just out of curiosity where did you get the "closed fuse"? I am having a slight issue with the wires being a little loose around the fuse. I had to essentially make sure that the wires are connected and then secure the whole fuse with some electrical tape so it does not move. Not the greatest solution but it works.

Even though I do not off-road, I think it is good to have a closed fuse. In addition to this by adding the closed fuse would eliminate the issue of loose wires around the fuse.

Thanks,

DD
ZheKing likes this.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 01:11 PM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
@ZheKing I would have sent the kit back with a "nice" note included. For the money there are better kits out there I'm sure.

post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 01:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davi1997 View Post
Hey just out of curiosity where did you get the "closed fuse"? I am having a slight issue with the wires being a little loose around the fuse. I had to essentially make sure that the wires are connected and then secure the whole fuse with some electrical tape so it does not move. Not the greatest solution but it works.

Even though I do not off-road, I think it is good to have a closed fuse. In addition to this by adding the closed fuse would eliminate the issue of loose wires around the fuse.

Thanks,

DD
I ordered like 20 a long time ago to have them. PM your address i'll mail you one. I have more than I can ever use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhullD View Post
@ZheKing I would have sent the kit back with a "nice" note included. For the money there are better kits out there I'm sure.
If i hadn't already had most of my head lights out / apart i probably would have.

post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 07:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheKing View Post
Well, since this hasn't been updated since 2017, I figured I will add my review to it.
Any pics of your completed setup actually on the truck? Maybe I missed it somewhere

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

"Mods first - life later."
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
Any pics of your completed setup actually on the truck? Maybe I missed it somewhere
Bruh... you seent them on the snap chat. but here ya go. I'll try to update my build thread soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Completed.jpg (52.3 KB, 18 views)

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Product Reviews

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode