Need Recommendations All Terrain Tire for Daily Driver - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Need Recommendations All Terrain Tire for Daily Driver

My 2011 X needs tires. Got 30k out of the stock rugged trails. Going back with the same size since I have already did the melt mod when I added the Pro Comp wheels. Plan on going with an AT tire for a little better off road capability, but since this is my daily driver (95% on road) I need a tire that rides good and will not kill my gas mileage. I think I have read every review and post here on the forum and am trying to decide between the
1. Cooper Discoverer AT3
2. Cooper Discoverer ATP (Discount tire exclusive)
3. Michelin LTX AT2

Any of the above has got to be better than the sotck BFGs, but which would you guys pick? Or if you have another suggestion I am all ears. I have also considered the below:

1. Duratracs - I think these will be too aggressive for a DD, plus have no warranty. I love the look though.
2. BFG AT KOs - I had these on my S10 and were a good tire, but get mixed reviews here on the forum
3. General Grabber AT2 - Similar to the BFGs with similar reviews.

Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Veteran
2013 Glacier White Xterra Pro-4X 6MT TS'd & 4.56's

Have said it before, and I'll say it again....I love my AT2's! Only cons I can think of is they are heavy and a PIA to balance. I put 40 miles a day on them and try to take the kiddos out every weekend to play in the dirt, they do great as a DD and weekend wheeler tire.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Veteran
2007 Avalanche White Frontier Nismo-4X

Still love my ATP's approaching 20k on them now and still have about 60% tread. I'm about 85% on road 15% off and they are great on road and I have yet to attempt something off road that have made me doubt them. Many air down cycles with about 1,500 off road miles and the tires have no bulges and minimal chunks and cuts. My only regret is not getting the 285 size...

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Red Brawn ❌terra Off Road

Garage
Before you get flamed for not doing a search, take a look at the tire "sticky:" https://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4645

I think you will find that many of the regulars here are partial to Goodyear Duratracs. Some hate BFGs, others love them. General and Cooper also have their proponents.

Personally, I think the "best" AT tire depends on how much offroading you are really going to do, the difficulty of the trails, and the terrain. What works with mud isn't necessarily the best in sand, etc. Similarly, the needs of someone in the snow belt, the Southeast, and the Southwestern deserts are very different.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 PM
2012 Metallic Green Xterra Pro-4X

Take a look at Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nture+SAT+KL61

Third in the "On-/Off-Road All-Terrain" on Tirerack.

They have the mountain/snowflake symbol on them, so they should do well in snow.

I am considering these when my Michelin LTX M/S need replacing on my Explorer. Might even get a set to replace the factory junk tires on my parent's 4Runner.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Veteran
2009 Knight Armor Xterra SE 4x4 w/Tech & Leather Pkg

Garage
Big fan of BFG AT/KO's...mine have done exceptionally well. Expensive, though...
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Veteran
2011 Xterra S⊙

Ive been running these procomp a/t's for 20k now, lots of varied terrain and highway miles and they've done very well. 4wheelparts always has sales too, so you can get them for cheaper if you try. Plus 4wp offer a pretty awesome road hazard warranty for their tires.

Last edited by jude; 04-08-2013 at 09:15 PM.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Veteran
2009 Equator RMZ4 Sport

I like my Toyo Open Country A/T - think the new version A/T2 has some added design molding on sidewall for looks. Very quiet and smooth on highway and was able to get load C
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 AM

I'll throw in a vote for the Hankook Dynapro ATMs (P Metric). I've had them on two different Xterras and have been very happy - on road they are great - quiet, perfectly balanced, good traction even in the wet. Off road they are fine, even cruising through muddy fields.

I did try the Cooper ATPs and after three attempts at balancing them in less than 1000 miles, Discount Tire finally gave up and I got the Hankooks again. The Coopers had super squishy steering characteristics that I didn't like anyway, no matter what psi I tried.
MrDolan likes this.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 AM
2005 Xterra, 6 speed MT S

Firestone Destination AT -- excellent gas mileage. Have 60,000 miles on mine. Next time I buy I will go Toyo Open Country AT 2 (looks meaner)

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode