Front Sway bar Links and bushing replacement. W/PICS - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

Front Sway bar Links and bushing replacement. W/PICS

got these from Greg at PRG

and these (notice the lube that comes with) http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...ml?id=TTz8wWhP

Installed

Had to ream 3 out of four holes

OLD stuff
rubber was rotting and cracking
link hardware was rusted and one nut had to be chiseled off. (you northeast coast guys will probably need to cut them off)

Thought I had a good spare from the old set then noticed that it had a cracked rubber boot. Allowing the lubricant to leak out.

The nylon threaded nut goes on the bottom according the PRGs website photo. The other nut is shorter and has no nylon insert. It again goes ON top

The first photo shows them incorrectly placed on the wrong ends of the links. This was how they arrived from shipment. I then consulted the PRG web site an after looking at Greg's photos I changed them to match. The Job consist of removing the sway bar links (two nuts on each sway bar link)then removing the bushing brackets(two bolts on each bracket). After removal new bushings are greased (using the shipped lubricant)then installed on the sway bar, then bolted up to the frame loosely. Links are attached at this point. It is easier to do this job if you remove the front wheels should you feel so inclined. It also makes reaming the lower sway bar link mount hole out easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ChrisHaynesUSA; 07-17-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 05:33 PM
2006 Xterra S

Is this routine maintenance or is the wear and tear just related to off-road activity?

post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Routine in my opinion. I have had the truck 5 years.
Been off road all of 5 times(twice California and 3 times Moab)
Age related rudder deterioration.
Bushing are cheap (relatively) and the Links are well worth the upgrade if you wish to continue using the front links and sway bar with some offroad activites.( I know some don't)
Ya probably wont have to do this again for the life of your rig. You could always order the stock links from NISSAN and save a few bucks.

You may wanna check your rig to see how those rubber boots on the links are really doing.
Cheers

Last edited by ChrisHaynesUSA; 07-17-2010 at 05:58 PM.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Veteran

Looks good.

Do you think you'll see any benefit beyond OEM spec.?

2006 4x4 OFF ROAD ; 6 Speed Manual; Duratrac (previously BFG AT KO)
ICON 2.5, TC UCA, Rear Helper Springs (air)
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

steel used to make the links looks better, stainless?(may rust or corrode slower)
bushings don't squeak with the lube and they are a higher quality material. should last longer.

From PRG website.....

Description

These are replacement sway bar end links for guys running tall leveling kits or extended travel upper a-arms. These are 1/4" to 1" longer than stock to prevent the endlinks from rotating past the center point on full suspension extension.

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra Off-Road

I like the adjustability. My stock ones were pivoted to their limit after my lift. They were hard to install; the adjustable PRG's made it easy...

08 OffRoad\
Night Armor AT
---
--------
--

post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 01:41 AM
Veteran
2007 Altima SL

Nice! I put aftermarket sway bar end links and bushings on my previous vehicle and I've thought about doing the Xterra. Might have to add this to the "to do" list.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishaynesusa View Post
steel used to make the links looks better, stainless?(may rust or corrode slower)
bushings don't squeak with the lube and they are a higher quality material. should last longer.

From PRG website.....

Description

These are replacement sway bar end links for guys running tall leveling kits or extended travel upper a-arms. These are 1/4" to 1" longer than stock to prevent the endlinks from rotating past the center point on full suspension extension.

Thanks...I'll add this to my list of mods to do.

2006 4x4 OFF ROAD ; 6 Speed Manual; Duratrac (previously BFG AT KO)
ICON 2.5, TC UCA, Rear Helper Springs (air)
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Veteran
2010 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

check that spare you thought you had again, they're made so that they only work on one side. if you break one on the trail you'd probably be better off just disconnecting the front sway rather than reusing an old one thats a different length than your aftermarket ones
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

You are right. I have thrown the old one away.

thanks, I had a brain fart.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode