Best Tool for Airing Down? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
2006 Granite Xterra Off Road

Garage
Best Tool for Airing Down?

Got frustrated searching, any comments on current tools for quick and monitored air down, meaning ability to set desired pressure? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:03 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

ARB Tire Deflator.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/arb-e-...a-668137088306
BillySpivitz and kolsky like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:06 PM
2005 Avalanche White Xterra SE

Garage
I personally use these (just because they're much more cost effective and still work well).

https://amzn.to/2MudUfp

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:16 PM
2005 Night Armor Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Garage
I've been using this one, so far i like it, airs down fast

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:41 PM
2005 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch350z View Post
I personally use these (just because they're much more cost effective and still work well).

https://amzn.to/2MudUfp
I use the staun version of this. They are the original, but kinda expensive for something that isnt critical
fletch350z likes this.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:57 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1RU View Post
ARB Tire Deflator.
I second this. Fast and seems pretty indestructible. A bit of a learning curve, so be sure to practice using it before hitting the trail.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:12 PM
Supporting Member

Oddly I have the Smitty Built one currently, because I've had two of the ARB's stolen from my truck. They are the same, but I like the ARB storage bag way better.

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:19 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

I prefer the Staun Deflators.
set them, lock ring, done.
screw on and wait till air stops escaping.

the gauge type requires you to monitor constantly .
YMMV
kryter and Jayrat like this.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHaynesUSA View Post
I prefer the Staun Deflators.
set them, lock ring, done.
screw on and wait till air stops escaping.

the gauge type requires you to monitor constantly .
YMMV
And yet I'm still done before you guys with the Stauns
I can also vary my aired down PSI depending on the terrain, just by reading that handy little gauge.

I know guys who use that little nub on the back of their pressure gauge.

Point is, they all work. To each their own, there really isn't a wrong answer here.

and

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Red Brawn ❌terra Off Road

Garage
I have used many different tire deflators over the years.

An inexpensive option that always works, has no moving parts, and costs very little is this one from Teraflex, usually about $15. I have carried one for more than 25 years, now as my back-up:

Claimed to be the fastest are the ARB and Currie units that remove the valve core, but you still have to bend over and fiddle with the pressure on each tire, $38-40. [I do not recommend the S*ittybilt and other cheap Chinese knockoffs - sure they cost less but you get what you pay for.]

The most convenient are the automatic tire deflators such as Staun and the improved version sold by Harry Llewellyn at Coyote Enterprises - $56-72 depending upon the model and where you buy them, less for the Chinese knockoffs. Harry was the face for Staun in the U.S. until the Australian company went broke in 2009 and Harry still has a working relationship with the original patent holder in Australia. However, his Coyote Automatic Deflators have several improvements evidenced by a new patent held by Harry and are a step up from the Staun and Staun II deflators. Coyote Automatic Deflators are far superior to the cheap Chinese knockoffs such as the EZdeflators referenced in Post #3 and the deflators sold with the S*ittybilt brand. [I have a set of the EZdeflators and find them difficult to set. They also produce inconsistent results which makes them no bargain.)

Staun

Coyote

https://www.coyoteents.com/deflators/

Shown below are my Coyote Automatic Deflators. They came pre-set at 12 psi but you can have them set to any pressure you desire and they are easy to re-calibrate when you want to change pressures. The advertised range is 4-56 psi.

Unlike the knockoffs, Coyote Automatic Deflators always deflate to exactly the same pressure, never stick open or bleed air, and you can put them on and drive while your tires deflate unlike the other brands. I can air down all four of my 35" tires from 28 psi street pressure to 12 psi trail pressure in about 4 minutes which compares favorably just over one minute per tire with the ARB deflator and I don't have to bend over to manually set the final pressure as with the ARB product. I think they are a good buy at $56 ($60 if Harry sets your custom pressure) and well worth the price difference over the imitations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coyote Tire Deflators.jpg (95.2 KB, 12 views)
X4dblduty and NWCoffeeGuy like this.

Last edited by Mr. Bills; 06-05-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode