Brake Fluid Spitting out by Spare Tire - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By 545

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Granite Xterra SE

Brake Fluid Spitting out by Spare Tire

Hi everyone,

Needing some help. I just changed out my driver side Hub assembly, driver side break caliper and all front brake pads and rotors on my 2006 Xterra SE. When I go to bleed the break system using the two man method, and using a piece of 2x4 to make sure the brake is not hitting the floor. I get the breaks hard when the car is off, the minuet I turn it on the break hits the floor and I hear a air flow sucking hissing noise. Also I found my brake fluid reservoir won't stay full. I found a rubber tab on the rear break line next to my spare tire that is shooting out break fluid on to the spare. I feel this is multiple issues. from what I can find online, is the master cylinder may be bad, but I can not find anything about that rubber tab on the rear brake line. any and all help is welcome and needed.

thanks

Fox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:18 PM
2012 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Put up a photo of that leak ?

RJ Giddings
Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:38 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Here's an image I threw together of the rear end with brake lines in the red boxes so we can pinpoint this better. Are you talking about the connection in the A box?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:22 PM
2005 Xterra

Box A is the cable connection for the parking brake. No brake fluid
The two rubber lines going up from box B are the brake lines; the connect to the hard lines at a bracket there. I suspect it will be leaking from a fitting. Pull the spare down and check it out when someone is pushing on the brakes. It will be obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
Here's an image I threw together of the rear end with brake lines in the red boxes so we can pinpoint this better. Are you talking about the connection in the A box?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
Start with fixing the leak. I bet it’s not a bad mc, just the leak.

Once you get the leak fixed, before you bleed at the calipers, bleed at the abs pump. Crack the two lines feeding the abs from the mc then push the pedal, then tighten the line, lift the pedal and repeat (don’t pump it up first like you do at the caliper). After you do those two, do the 4 going out of the pump to the calipers next. Same method. After that, bleed at the calipers like normal.

Put a bunch of rags under the abs pump, it makes a mess. Might want to have some denatured alcohol to clean up the spilled brake fluid too.

Good luck.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Granite Xterra SE

First,

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. So using the photo Genral_Tarfun put together, I made box C. the rubber tab on the left is were the fluid is spitting out of when you pump the brakes. the back side of the spare tire is covered with fluid. I plan on getting under there today to take a video and pics. As 545 pointed out it looks like the line coming from Box B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gijOOdn2.jpg (109.0 KB, 17 views)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
That’s good. That hard line is really cheap from the dealer. I think it was less than $10 when I replaced mine.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:53 PM
2005 Xterra

Those rubber “tabs” are just to hold the line from rubbing. Bend them out of the way, it’s just a brake hardline that goes the length of the axle. You can bend one to match from the auto parts store if you need to get back on the road, but if you aren’t familiar with flaring brake lines, and have the time, just order the part from the dealer. Make sure you use a brake line wrench in the fittings- a flare wrench
ZheKing and PebblePimp like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:21 AM
2005 Xterra

How did you do OP?

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode