Tire Repair Kits - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 11Likes
  • 3 Post By Ripper
  • 1 Post By MartinX
  • 1 Post By General_Tarfun
  • 1 Post By ChrisHaynesUSA
  • 1 Post By ZheKing
  • 1 Post By General_Tarfun
  • 3 Post By mrpulldown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
2010 Xterra SE

Garage
Tire Repair Kits

Am looking for a tire repair kit, was wondering if anyone had a favorite and why? So far, from what I've been reading the reamers and plug setting tools are not of very good quality in most kits with many users reporting they break on first use (at least in many Amazon reviews).

So which ones are you using, and have you actually had to use the kits yet?

Tom

Traveling the back roads because they are there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:51 PM
New England Regional Moderator
2011 Night Armor ❌terra New Hotness (Pro 4X)

Boulder Tools. It’s the same Chinese filler that’s you'd get from ARB. But it’s a few dollars cheaper and resold by a smaller US based company.

Boulder Tools - 56 Pc Heavy Duty Tire Repair Kit For Car, Truck, RV, Jeep, ATV, Motorcycle, Tractor, Trailer. Flat Tire Puncture Repair Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E635PGA..._DLZ2CbKK1EXPN
tnelson, MartinX and kolsky like this.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďIn every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.Ē John Muir

Last edited by Ripper; 05-14-2019 at 06:00 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4

Garage
^ Thatís a good one.

I honestly donít remember mine. But I do know- METAL T HANDLES.
Donít get plastic ones. Just donít. Ok? Ok.

(Looks like almost all of em are metal these days.)
tnelson likes this.

Why doesnít anyone ever ask for the least aggressive mud tire? ~jsexton

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:19 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
The one I carry is made by Slime, I got it as a gift a long time ago. It has a plastic handle and I've had to use it probably 3 times over the years with no problems so far, maybe it was better quality back then?
ZheKing likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:41 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/29-gea...plug-kits.html
tnelson likes this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
2010 Xterra SE

Garage
Tip of the hat to everyone!

I think I'll be going with either the Boulder Tools, or Viking Offroad (from Chris's link). They both look pretty good, and I like that the business end of the tools are replaceable.

Tom

Traveling the back roads because they are there.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
The one I carry is made by Slime, I got it as a gift a long time ago. It has a plastic handle and I've had to use it probably 3 times over the years with no problems so far, maybe it was better quality back then?
I've used this kit about 10 times. https://shop.slime.com/products/tire...nt=47566190216

One of the local "government auction" places where they sell old used crap from the government (local & state I think at this one), they had a box full of them for $3 a piece. I bought about 10. never had any issues with it.
tnelson likes this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:02 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheKing View Post
I've used this kit about 10 times. https://shop.slime.com/products/tire...nt=47566190216

One of the local "government auction" places where they sell old used crap from the government (local & state I think at this one), they had a box full of them for $3 a piece. I bought about 10. never had any issues with it.
That looks just like the one I have. I used it so many times I had to buy more glue haha.
ZheKing likes this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:11 PM
2006 Storm Gray Frontier OR KC NISMO 4x4 6MT

My tire kit includes
-Sticky string kit bought at walmart. Reamer, pluger, sticky strings, and glue. I get the additional string and glue kit as needed. I buy new kits regularly so that I have a couple of reamers and string inserters. Yes you can break off the "T" handle if going to town on the hole.
-1 larger can of fix a flat. Though I do not use as my primary repair, I did have one repair took 6 strings in a sidewall and a can of fix a flat. Already used the spare for the completely shredded tire. Sometimes I carry 2 cans of fix a flat, they have been known to be duds.
-Compressor. I have several. High volume unit that clips directly onto the battery, to various sizes of cig lighter compressors. The bigger the better. Smaller still better than none.

Some kits do not include glue and say that it is not needed. I find that the glue not only helps seal, but lubes up the sticky string for easier installation. At home I have a jar of Elmers rubber cement that I will use. I try to save the little tubes (unopened) for field use. Once opened you can put a piece of foil between the cap and the threads to seal the glue better. The foil from the back of a tube patch works well. The sticky strings also dry out over time. They do not work as well once dried out.

electronrider, tnelson and MartinX like this.

Last edited by mrpulldown; 05-15-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode