Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Advice on Tire Size

23K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Peter Mangolds 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2012 pro-4x with a 2" lift and spacers (not sure size yet). Im really digging the BFG Ko2's and was wondering if they come in 33" and will fit on the stock rims and if I will have to deal with rubbing

#2 · (Edited)
In my parts , the two most common upgraded tires your likely to find on an xterra would be the 265/75-16 and the 285/75-16.

Of the two, the 265 would be a direct fit without a need to alter your xterra in any manner.

The 285 will very likely require a "melt mod" to prevent rubbing your inner fender liner. This mod can be found in the "How To" sections of the forums.

265/75-16. Vs 285/75-16
You can decide if a slightly wider tire and an extra .5 in ground clearance is what your looking for.

Diameter inches (mm)................31.65 (803.9)......32.83 (833.9)
Width inches (mm).....................10.43 (265)..........11.22 (285)
Sidewall Height inches (mm)......7.82 (198.75)......8.42 (213.75)

The BFG KO2 is an excellent tire, but rather expensive.

If you would consider a lesser expensive option, I would recommend the Wildpeak AT3W.

Reactions: scskookum
#7 ·
285/75-16 fit with very little effort. I'm very happy I went with 285's. Disclaimer I have a 2" body lift & a 2" spacer / shackle lift in the pictures.

are those the stock rims? im pretty set on the 285/75/16 and my next big concern is that the rims being the size they are arent big enough for that tire (too much sidewall, etc) i have no problem doing the melt mod at all seems pretty easy from what ive read about it its the metal fender thats a little more of a concern

#4 ·
If you go with a 255/85r16 you get the 33" diameter but not the 285mm width (11.22"). The width + the increase in diameter is the reason why it rubs. The 255/85r16 will fit with almost no modification. I think you need cam bolts to align the front end for max caster (tire forward in wheel well). 255s however are only available in mud terrains, not ATs.

Another 33" tire that I have my eye out on is the 275/70r18. This will get you the 33" (actually even a bit taller at 33.2" for the KOs). But not the full width of the 285s. Again this will make the rubbing less of an issue.

#11 · (Edited)
I'd just do the melt mod there before driving it much. It doesn't take long or require much in the way of tools.

i have no problem doing the melt mod at all seems pretty easy from what ive read about it its the metal fender thats a little more of a concern
No need to trim or pound on the fenders unless you're also going to run wheel spacers on the stock wheels. I ran 285s on mine with a similar lift for a few weeks and a mild melt mod was all that was necessary. Spacers are a different story.

#13 ·
I second the melt mod before going to get your tires. It’s EASY and takes way way less time than you think.
Buy a heat gun from HFT and do it right at the place you are buying from.

285 KO2’s look killer on stock wheels. Go for those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.