NissTec Brake Upgrade Kit - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nworker View Post

After reading about some of the challenges of bleeding ABS system, I'm a little hesitant. I'd hate to create more problems to increase petal feel and braking power.
There is a technique to bleeding the brakes on our Nissan's.

After titan swapping I bleed the brakes 4 times with a vacuum pump and traditional way with 2 people. The pedal was very soft. I was convinced it was the best it could get and I needed a brake booster upgrade. Then.....

I watched a video that explained the brakes being bled with the engine running. So, I gave it a shot. Holy spaceballs captain it worked. I was told this is due to our ABS system. Pedal feels great now.

Since, I have read it can be done without the engine running and the abs and/or, battery being disconnected. That may be possible, but I can not confirm that. I am 2 for 2 with the engine running technic.

Maybe this could work for you. Imagine it's worth a shot before buying that kit.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Build Thread
(StormTrooper Gretchen (big,white,fat,ugly,and German): 2015 BMW R1200GS Adventure White

Last edited by AdventureRider81; 05-09-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:27 AM
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureRider81 View Post
There is a technic to bleeding the brakes on our Nissan's.

I watched a video that showed the brakes being bled with the engine running. So, I gave it a shot. Holy spaceballs captain it worked. I was told this is due to our ABS system. Pedal feels great now.

Maybe this could work for you. Imagine it's worth a shot before buying that kit.
Do you have a link for this video?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZXatv View Post
Do you have a link for this video?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/soca...6562274601900/

It's just @zachary on FB rambling lol. However, it worked for him and worked for me. He did it traditionally by having somebody pump the brake pedal. I did mine alone with a Harbor Freight vacuum pump. https://m.harborfreight.com/brake-bl....google.com%2F

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
BlackbirdSR71 likes this.

Click Here for >
Build Thread
(StormTrooper Gretchen (big,white,fat,ugly,and German): 2015 BMW R1200GS Adventure White

Last edited by AdventureRider81; 05-09-2019 at 11:11 AM.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Veteran
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
There is a technic to bleeding the brakes on our Nissan's.

After titan swapping I bleed the brakes 4 times with a vacuum pump and traditional way with 2 people. The pedal was very soft. I was convinced it was the best it could get and I needed a brake booster upgrade. Then.....

I watched a video that showed the brakes being bled with the engine running. So, I gave it a shot. Holy spaceballs captain it worked. I was told this is due to our ABS system. Pedal feels great now.

Since I have read it can be done without the engine running and the abs and/or, battery being disconnected. That may be possible, but I can not confirm that. I am 2 for 2 with the engine running technic.

This^^^ right here. Either the truck needs to be running or it needs to be hooked up to a reader that'll activate the ABS module with the truck off. I've never seen a really successful full system bleed on these without one of those options. Sure, plenty of people have done corner bleeds successfully without activating the system, myself included, but a full system bleed needs to be done with the system running. I've seen this mentioned by a few actual Nissan techs on here, but very few people actually do it.

R. Long
Build Thread-->

SoCal Club Xterra -->
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Desert Explorer
2015 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRong View Post
This^^^ right here. Either the truck needs to be running or it needs to be hooked up to a reader that'll activate the ABS module with the truck off. I've never seen a really successful full system bleed on these without one of those options. Sure, plenty of people have done corner bleeds successfully without activating the system, myself included, but a full system bleed needs to be done with the system running. I've seen this mentioned by a few actual Nissan techs on here, but very few people actually do it.
Just to make sure, the process is to turn on the engine, have someone push the pedal while someone bleeds each brake. Do I have that right?

Thanks

Hank
N6HWW

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nworker View Post
Just to make sure, the process is to turn on the engine, have someone push the pedal while someone bleeds each brake. Do I have that right?

Thanks
Yes. To be clear it's 1 caliper at a time in this order.

1. Driver's front
2. Passenger rear
3. Driver's rear
4. Passenger front

This is the order Zack says in the video. I cannot confirm if it's per manufacturing specs. However, it did work for Zack and this guy.

The key here is to have the engine running while doing it.

Click Here for >
Build Thread
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2010 Midnight Armor ❌terra X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
If you're not already running these buy a set for the front first before spending money on anything else.

Ordered mine today, plus new rotors

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Click Here for >
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Veteran
2007 Super Black Xterra S Titan Swapped!

Garage
Quote:
Yes. To be clear it's 1 caliper at a time in this order.

1. Driver's front
2. Passenger rear
3. Driver's rear
4. Passenger front

This is the order Zack says in the video. I cannot confirm if it's per manufacturing specs. However, it did work for Zack and this guy.

The key here is to have the engine running while doing it.
I was always told to start at the furthest point from the master cylinder. IE Pass Rear, Driver Rear, Pass Front then Driver Front.
VMBiohazard likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-REXterra View Post
"100% of people with snorkels have bigger wieners than those without snorkels."
-Abraham Lincoln

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPD605X View Post
I was always told to start at the furthest point from the master cylinder. IE Pass Rear, Driver Rear, Pass Front then Driver Front.
Yes. In the video Zack says the drivers front is furthest away. Due to the break line routing/length from master cylinder on xterra/frontiers.

Note: this info is second hand from the video link above. I have not confirmed this. It's likely a good idea to cross reference with manufacturers specs for caliper order.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Click Here for >
Build Thread

Last edited by AdventureRider81; 05-10-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Caretaker of The Minion

2005 (w/a little 2010) === SE/OffRoad ❌=== EW3 Solar Yellow

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPD605X View Post
normally...yes.

For our rigs...no. The bleeding order @AdventureRider81 listed is the proper order per FSM
GPD605X and RikRong like this.

-|-

on Instagram

(North Carolina Xterra Club)

(Nissan Offroad Association of the Southeast)

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode