Need Advice on AT Tires (2013 Pro-4X) - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Midnight Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Need Advice on AT Tires (2013 Pro-4X)

New to the forums appreciate any help.
I’m looking to do some minor modifications starting with the suspension and tires. I’m looking for a reasonably priced all terrain tires, ideally with an aggressive side wall. I just want a good tire for occasional off roading, will hold its own in the snow, and won’t crush me on gas Milage due to the over aggressive tread (although if it’s minimal I don’t really care). I’ve been doing some research and I’ve been considering the falken wildpeak AT3s, and came across some nice looking Mickey Thompson baja atz P3s where I like the tread/side wall but they seem to be skating the line of mud tire with the amount traction they provide. I’d like to know if you guys have bought an AT tire for your Xterra that you were really happy with for both performance and astetics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:16 AM
Veteran
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Lots of good information in this thread. The size of tire you are looking at can have a big impact on weight (and thus mileage, wear & tear, etc.). Personally I ran Hankook Dynapro ATM 265s until they were about shot and just installed KO2s in 285s. It was between the KO2s and Duratracs for me (as it is for a lot of people). I had no complaints on the Hankooks, I just wanted a more aggressive sidewall in a bigger size.

My X,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's here.

Check my review in the thread linked above: https://www.thenewx.org/forum/69-bra...ml#post4225698

They are about as aggressive as I want to go as someone who occasionally does long road trips. The 35" version of this tire returned better MPG than the 33" version of my mud terrains.
websch likes this.

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trip Photos Page -

"Mods first - life later."

Last edited by AlbatrossCafe; 03-11-2019 at 01:07 AM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Midnight Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Awesome info guys really helped. I’m looking at pulling the trigger on some new tires this week and I’m down to the KO2s or falken wildpeak at3s. KO2s are a bit more which I really don’t care about only knock on them I’ve heard of that the tread can wear a bit quicker than a normal AT, which I’m not even sure is true because the tread seems pretty deep on them to start with.
The falkens are a bit cheaper, have the aggressive sidewall and seem to be a bit more focus on a hybrid AT that almost performs like an HT in the highway where the KO2s are more a true AT. Discount tires has the falkens for around 800 with a 55k mole warrant with road hazard and the other (Costco) has the KO2s at 880 or so, but great service but no warranty. Discount has their KO2s with 50k mile warranty but they run a little over a grand.
I’m not even sure how much I care about the warranty, road hazard seems to be enough to cover myself and if I have to get a new set of tires after a few years I really don’t mind and expect it.

Last edited by Madfistwilly; 03-12-2019 at 03:39 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 08:21 AM
2006 Xterra SE

Just throwing this out there. The falkens are available in P rated rather than the LTs in the KO2. They be lighter, less expensive and ride nicer. If you are prioritizing on-road characteristics over rock crawling sidewall durability might be a consideration. I've been doing the same debate in my mind for my next tire choice. Its my DD that I wheel occasionally so I have no issue running a P tire.
mtnbound and AlbatrossCafe like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Forever Noobie & LPM
2013 Lava Red ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
I debated KO2's, Falkens, and the cooper discoverer at3. I ultimately went with the KO2s as most reviews/opinions pointed that way at the time, and because I scored an incredible deal on a set of 5. If they were all equal price I'd have probably gone with the Cooper discoverer AT3 as they had the best performance at the time. I read through a tire comparison by overland bound (I think, ill see if i can find the link) and the coopers performed the best, followed closely by the KO2's. I have no regrets with the KO2s.

“Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves.” -The First History of Man
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
I've been running Toyo Open Country AT II's since 2016 and have been mostly happy with them. Tons of grip off and on road, they ride mostly quiet, and the treadwear has been great ( I rotate every 5k in the rearward cross pattern). Only complaint I have is I wish I would have gone with LT instead of P because I don't like the softness.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 03:42 PM
AutoGuide Supporting Vendor

Lots of good first-hand information. You have it narrowed down to some excellent choices. If we can be of any assistance please let us know. Keep in mind Discount Tire will not be undersold.
Kilo Sierra likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 08:27 PM
2009 Red Alert Xterra Off Road 5AT

I went with the Cooper AT3 4S in october, and have been pleased so far. Mine is my daily driver, with occasion trips. I don't do serious offroading, but took a trip from Southern California to MOab and the 5 national parks on them, with some mild off roading and exploring, and had no complaints. My gas mileage is the same as stock tires for my 09' OffRoad, and there's no noise. They are snow rated from what I remember.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:16 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2009 Super Black Xterra X

I picked up a set of the falken AT P rated last month and had a recent snow storm up in the northeast to drive them in. They were really great for clear highway driving the first day, really wouldn't tell much difference from an h/t. The next day half a foot of snow and they were great all around on the highway as well as dirt. I live in a neighborhood of dirt, wooded roads and tried to get them to disappoint me in the snow and slush to no avail when I made it home. A really great all around AT from my limited experience with them. I'll do light off roading with them, but no rock crawling I think, so I picked up the P rated at about $520 for a set of four delivered to the installer. After researching I concluded that they were the best all around price/performance value for my intended use. They look great, too.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode