Hill Start Assist (HSA) or Other Brake Issue - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2010 Knight Armour Xterra Off Road

Hill Start Assist (HSA) or Other Brake Issue

I did a bit of a search.. didn't seem to get what I was looking for.

I have a bit of a problem... driving the xterra this winter is like driving an old pseudo muscle car.. I can spin the right rear tire a lot on acceleration. Granted, it's winter, I have studded tires, I'm not in 4x4, sometimes the pavement is dry, or wet, or frosty. But I'm going to say I'm driving the same as previous nine winters and it feels different. It happens on flatish ground where I wouldn't think the HSA would be engaged. And when the HSA is engaged it will spin a lot, like doing a brake stand, before taking off.

Also it's been -25C (-13F) ish for about a month, so I haven't been poking around to see what might be sticky... and I also haven't checked to see if I got a secret V8 swap. Am I jumping to a conclusion that the HSA is the source.. or is there another front brake rotor issue that might be causing some stiction? Point me in the direction of some research, greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 01:45 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2011 Lava Red Xterra Pro-4X

Funny, I've had that same thing happen a couple times in the last month when it was really cold. Back up out of the driveway and shift into drive facing downhill and have to give it a little extra gas to get the assist to disengage. Has never happened before this year on my 2011 pro-4x. Only happens just after starting though. Is yours happening randomly after driving a while?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2010 Knight Armour Xterra Off Road

Yes, it happened on mine after driving 20 minutes or more. Got the front brakes serviced and doesn't seem to be a problem any longer. Also, not cold, no snow.

Also, NorCal what was really cold? -13F? or lower?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode