295/75/16 or 285/75/16 Tire Size Options - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:31 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

Can you please re-tittle your thread header to something like:

Tire question on 295 versus 285 / 75 /16 Tires
or
Tire question on 295 versus 285 wheel well contact.

this will help the next guy who searches the website.
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback97 View Post
The 295 is a less common size... total wild guess here but you'd have to walk past nine members on this site with 285/75's to find one with 295/75's.
Quoting myself here, I had to satisfy my curiosity about this because it's a slow day and I like numbers. My very non scientific way was to look at the past ~3 years of posts on the tire options thread and note the tire size of the past 50 responses.

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/69-bra...e-options.html

Out of the past 50 tires listed, the section widths broke down as:

255 - 1 or 2% (255/85/16)
265 - 21 or 42% (mostly 265/75, some 265/70)
275 - 1 or 2% (rare size here, this was from Qatar)
285 - 21 or 42% (mostly 285/75/16, a few 285/70/17)
295 - 2 or 4% (one 295/75/16, one 295/70/17)
315 - 4 or 8% (three 315/75/16 and one 315/70/18)

So my WAG of one out of ten 295's : 285's was pretty close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHaynesUSA View Post

or

@Marco X please do this. I was going to suggest this as well. Informative thread titles go a long ways towards eliminating confusion when people bother to search, as the OP did.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Good ideas and points made here.

Choices in tires for the Xterra are not unlike choices with lifts. It is pretty simple and inexpensive to get around 2" of lift on the Xterra, but if you want to go more than that, it gets significantly more difficult, complicated, and expensive (i.e. you need to be worrying about new coilovers, leaf packs, UCAs, bumpstops, brake lines, titan swap, etc.).

Likewise, it is fairly easy and straightforward (i.e melt mod) to put bigger tires on the Xterra up to a certain point, ~33" or 285/75 typically, but once you go past that, you are going to need to worry about and shell out more money things like tire carriers, new wheels, wheel spacers, lifting, frame rubbing, and regearing.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2011 Super Black Xterra X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHaynesUSA View Post

or

sorry for the long delay, I did change the title of the thread though. I hope this helps some young fella in the future.

Click Here for >
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:26 PM
Supporting Member
2008 Desert Stone Xterra SE 4x4

Garage
My experience with BFG 285/70R17 on stock SE wheels which is even smaller than 285/75R16:

With 2" - 3" of suspension lift and no body lift, a little melt mod might be needed to clear the front tires' edge when turning, but inner side of rear tires rub the frame and body in full articulation (highest position). I had no extended bump stop and after few trail run, both body and frame's bare metal were exposed.

Since I didn't want to compromise the articulation by extending the bump stop, I added 1.5" wheel spacers. It fixed the rear issue, but front tire were hitting fender's corner even before full steering rotation. So, I trimmed the fender! Situation is a little worse with 285/75R16 and more worse with 295s.

My conclusion after you upgrade to 285s:
Either you no more offroad,
or you add rear bump stop extensions,
or keep painting frame and body where rear tire rubs in full articulation,
or you add wheel spacers;

if you do so, then:
either you add body lift,
or you pay a lot more for more suspension lift,
or you end up trimming your fender!

LOL....

Click Here for >

Last edited by Nasarno; 02-28-2019 at 09:28 PM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:29 PM
2006 Knight Armor Xterra SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasarno View Post
My experience with BFG 285/70R17 on stock SE wheels which is even smaller than 285/75R16:

With 2" - 3" of suspension lift and no body lift, a little melt mod might be needed to clear the front tires' edge when turning, but inner side of rear tires rub the frame and body in full articulation (highest position). I had no extended bump stop and after few trail run, both body and frame's bare metal were exposed.

Since I didn't want to compromise the articulation by extending the bump stop, I added 1.5" wheel spacers. It fixed the rear issue, but front tire were hitting fender's corner even before full steering rotation. So, I trimmed the fender! Situation is a little worse with 285/75R16 and more worse with 295s.

My conclusion after you upgrade to 285s:
Either you no more offroad,
or you add rear bump stop extensions,
or keep painting frame and body where rear tire rubs in full articulation,
or you add wheel spacers;

if you do so, then:
either you add body lift,
or you pay a lot more for more suspension lift,
or you end up trimming your fender!

LOL....
Nominal tire size difference between a 285/75/16 and 285/70/17 is only .1". I wouldn't really call it "smaller" That's like one burnout away.. lol... Also each tire manufacturer has slightly different real dimensions for the same rated size so.. they are effectively the same. One tire maker 17 would be bigger than the others 16 and vice versa.

It's really good to heard your experience about the stock SE 17s, you don't see too much info on them (I'm shopping 33's currently for my SE). Everyone just assumes they are the "same" as 16's fitment. But as you are pointing out.. that isn't true.
The spec on the stock 17s is 7.5Jx17 ET30 and the other model 16s are 7Jx16 ET30 which means that the SE wheel has the same offset, but a wider rim, so you split the .5" diff on both inside and outside. Since the rim is 1/4" closer to the frame you would get more frame rubbing compared to the stock 16 for the same width tire.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:15 PM
Supporting Member
2008 Desert Stone Xterra SE 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntellectualRedneck View Post
Nominal tire size difference between a 285/75/16 and 285/70/17 is only .1". I wouldn't really call it "smaller" That's like one burnout away.. lol... Also each tire manufacturer has slightly different real dimensions for the same rated size so.. they are effectively the same. One tire maker 17 would be bigger than the others 16 and vice versa.

Something has changed over the past couple years about BFG KM2 tire spec. I clearly remember that when I purchased them, 285/70R17 spec was 32.5" diameter, while 285/77R16 was 32.8". It perfectly matched the real world measurement, when I received the tires. And now with less than 8K miles on them, they stand no taller than 32.0" with 40 psi.

Now I searched again and I see different numbers from different web sites, varying from 32.8" to 33.1" for the same 285/70R17 KM2 !!!

It's a common complain that BFGs are on the lower side of the spectrum for the same nominal size. Probably, they retooled their tire manufacturing, or just edited their spec numbers to match the competition! Either way, I cannot prove it anymore by referring to a link on the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntellectualRedneck View Post
It's really good to heard your experience about the stock SE 17s, you don't see too much info on them (I'm shopping 33's currently for my SE). Everyone just assumes they are the "same" as 16's fitment. But as you are pointing out.. that isn't true.
The spec on the stock 17s is 7.5Jx17 ET30 and the other model 16s are 7Jx16 ET30 which means that the SE wheel has the same offset, but a wider rim, so you split the .5" diff on both inside and outside. Since the rim is 1/4" closer to the frame you would get more frame rubbing compared to the stock 16 for the same width tire.

That might be why I did not hear much about rear tires rubbing the frame. Yes, SE wheels are the widest stock rims.

Click Here for >
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:10 PM
2006 Knight Armor Xterra SE

Bfg's also have square blocky profile, i could see how they'd be more likely to rub at full turns

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode