Persistent Brake Issues - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:20 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverflash View Post
well i can't see oem not warping/getting deposits on them and aftermarket does.
I'd bet if you kept the OEM on longer they would have. Mine started vibrating around 70k, that's when I first noticed a stuck pin on the drivers side but back then I was clueless as to what a pin even was or how to fix it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2007 Lightning Silver Xterra S 4x4 "BaseCamp" Edition

yeah. i think i learned about the pins in doing my friends xterra and back then, 2014, i was too lazy to pull it apart again. Anyhow, i have the new discs and pads and will r&r the pins- which isn't hard to do, when i swap it all out in a few weeks.

OEM fog lights, Nissan Bug Deflector, Nissan Seat covers, Trident white a/c unit mod
Rear Timbrens, Flexible mudflaps, GY DuraTrac 265/75R16 C-rated, bil 5100 shocks front/rear, K&N 57-6014 FIPK, Flowmaster 40/custom y-pipe, vistapro radiator, bully dog GT
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:08 PM
2008 Xterra

For those in the road salt states:

Last year on my 08, the back pads on the fronts brakes were noticeably thinner than the outer pads. Turns out the caliber brackets rusted and pinched the tabs on the pads. With the piston pushing from the back, it ground the back pads down. Had to pound them out with a hammer. Having owned vehicles for 40-50 yrs, this is the first time the pinching of the tabs on the brake pads has occurred. Caliber brackets do rust so what was different here? The caliber brackets rusted in flaking layers. Never had this before. Will have to check and clean out the slots on the caliber brackets every year now.

Last edited by whatnext; 02-20-2019 at 08:11 PM.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

i did my brake job in front. pads looked fine to me. i will say i had trouble with the lugs making lots of noises and possibly affecting proper torque'ing.

i replaced the lugss and cleaned the stud threads and wheel faces and zero issues with torquing now. Perhaps this was the cause of my getting warped rotors- improper torque?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:38 AM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Short of your wheels literally wobbling on the studs I don't see where it would make any difference to the brakes if the lug nuts were just barely tight enough to keep the wheel on or if they were so tight they were almost to the point of snapping the lug off.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 02:09 PM
2015 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Inconsistent wheel torque is the main cause of warped rotors. That’s why we have torque sticks for our impact wrenches.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 02:11 PM
2015 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Short of your wheels literally wobbling on the studs I don't see where it would make any difference to the brakes if the lug nuts were just barely tight enough to keep the wheel on or if they were so tight they were almost to the point of snapping the lug off.
The wheel is what holds the rotor in place. If the lug nuts are not torqued properly in the right pattern, as the rotor gets hot, the metal distorts.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra Pro-4X

Garage
Just to add some notes to what is mentioned above: Rotor ware may be accelerated by using metallic/semi metallic pads instead of ceramic type.

In edition to that, some performance/HD/metallic pads can cause a higher rotor temperature (especially if caliper is sticking). If the rotor metal is of lesser quality and running a higher temp, it could warp simply by driving through a water puddle.

Has a tech back in the stone age, I used a temp gun on each wheel to see if one ran significantly higher temps than others. The one that ran the higher temp more often than not had a sticky caliper. If high temps came from rear brakes. Sometimes was because the E-brake was over tightened.

Click Here for >
Build Thread
(StormTrooper Gretchen (big,white,fat,ugly,and German): 2015 BMW R1200GS Adventure White

Last edited by AdventureRider81; 02-27-2019 at 04:44 PM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:37 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Live and learn, thanks guys.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureRider81 View Post
Just to add some notes to what is mentioned above: Rotor ware may be accelerated by using metallic/semi metallic pads instead of ceramic type.

In edition to that, some performance/HD/metallic pads can cause a higher rotor temperature (especially if caliper is sticking). If the rotor metal is of lesser quality and running a higher temp, it could warp simply by driving through a water puddle.

Has a tech back in the stone age, I used a temp gun on each wheel to see if one ran significantly higher temps than others. The one that ran the higher temp more often than not had a sticky caliper. If high temps came from rear brakes. Sometimes was because the E-brake was over tightened.
this is what i heard and i am fine with that. my reasoning going to semi-metallic was because i heard ceramics leave a resin on the discs causing the pulsating. the semi's don't and they scrub anything off. which is fine by me because replacing rotors every 20k gets old. but that's 4 years the way i drive it. AND i didn't learn about the lugs till this last time- that may have been causing them to warp and the ceramics were fine..

time will tell..
AdventureRider81 likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode