Brake Pad Squealer Bars Tampered with to Prevent Squealing? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ramness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Red Brick Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Brake Pad Squealer Bars Tampered with to Prevent Squealing?

As I posted a while back I bought a used 2015 Murano back in July. When I purchased the car I was told both the front and rear brakes had been replaced on the car before they put it out for sale. I bought it with 54,000 miles on it

Fast forward 10,000 miles and I began getting all sorts of horrible noise from the rear brakes. I had not had time on a day the weather was not rainy or freezing to take the wheels off and look at the brakes myself so I stopped by a local tire shop that offers free brake inspections while I was running errands to see what the issue was. They told me the rear pads were almost completely gone and what was left was digging into the brake rotor. Of course they offered to do it for $250.

Parked the car at home and drove the Xterra till the weather was nice enough to get the Murano outside and take it apart to see what the deal was since the brakes were supposedly only on there for 6 months.

The car was originally from Michigan so I had to bring out the BFH to break the rotors free.

The rotors were definitely not able to be resurfaced, pads had worn them down quite a bit.

Picked up the pads after I popped them out and found the squealer bars on both sides appeared to have been tampered with! One side was either snapped or cut off. The other looked like it had tool marks on it from bending it away from the rotor.

Driver Side

Passenger Side

I bought the car from a dealership that was part of a large local reputable chain, not some shady used car lot on the side of the road so I was very surprised to find that they not been replaced. I knew they had at least replaced the front pads, I had to take them apart and add a little grease as the fronts were squeaking a little last November.

Went out and bought all new rotors and pads for it so I could put the car back together.

New Shiny

Called the dealership this morning. They confirmed they showed oil change, battery terminal cleaning and front and rear brakes were done. I informed them the rears had not been done and that the squealer bars appeared to have been tampered with. I was told the service manager would call me. Iím not looking for them to reimburse me for the parts or anything, just wanted them to know they may have an issue with a technician not doing the work they claim they are doing. Pretty sure they have closed for the day now, no one called me.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Posting here as the folks on the Murano forum I joined donít seem to work on their own cars that much.
GDPearson likes this.

Brian & GarfieldX Never Stop Exploring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:42 PM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
I've seen crazier things than this on automobiles which were being traded in.
Basically, the owners didn't wish to spend a huge amount on a repair when they would soon be trading it .

ďAll that the South has ever desired was that the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved and that the government as originally organized should be administered in purity and truth.Ē
Robert E. Lee

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 02-08-2019 at 05:47 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:55 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Garage
That one folded back looks too clean at the contact point to have been bent that many miles ago. My money is on the brake inspection shop bending them back to get rid of the noise while they were diagnosing it. Either way the rear brakes were definitely not replaced at 50k like they said. Makes sense though, normally the rear brake pads would be fine at that mileage maybe halfway worn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Red Brick Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Finally heard back from the service manager. The guy that worked on my car before I bought it had already been fired for something else but he would not go into detail.

Brian & GarfieldX Never Stop Exploring

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode