Falken Wildpeak AT3W - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 03:47 AM
2007 Solar Yellow Xterra S

CAN ANYONE SHARE WHETHER THESE TIRES ARE GOOD AT HIGH SPEED IN THE RAIN? HYDROPLANE RESISTANCE??? YES, I'M SHOUTING!!!! LOL!!!!

Just FYI....If you order these in the 265/75/16 size, you can get the 4 ply P metric tire to stay away from the heavier "E" rated tire. According to the Falkin website, the LT sized tires do NOT get the silica tread compound. The silica compound is only available on the P metric sizes, and that compound gives you considerably better traction in the wet, snow/ice, and also makes the tire wear better.

I'm running E rated 285 Cooper AT/3 right now, and they are HORRIBLE on snow/ice. I'm in my second winter trying to drive in Colorado and aired up or down they are bad enough I'm having to get rid of them. Things my old Firestone Destination A/T could easily do the Cooper AT/3 can't. I hate the idea of going down to a 265 size, but snow chains also won't fit on my 285s in front, so I'm looking at making the switch....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 05:18 AM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Quote:
CAN ANYONE SHARE WHETHER THESE TIRES ARE GOOD AT HIGH SPEED IN THE RAIN?
Jeffindfw.

YES, THESE TIRES ARE GOOD IN RAIN.

Wow, it got quiet in here all of a sudden.

I'm running this tire in 265 75/16 and have no complaints with its handling while in wet conditions. However, this is a wide offroad tire and discression goes a long way towards providing safety. When I find myself in a drenching storm I will not maintain a high speed with these tires or any other while driving a short wheelbase top heavy SUV. In such a case, I'm lowering my speed noticeably until its once again safe to travel at speed. The few minutes wasted wont alter my travel times enough to warrant the risk of an accident.
LBX and mtnbound like this.

“All that the South has ever desired was that the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved and that the government as originally organized should be administered in purity and truth.”
Robert E. Lee

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 02-19-2019 at 05:22 AM.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:29 AM
TNX Realm Noobie - AKA noxj
2011 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post
CAN ANYONE SHARE WHETHER THESE TIRES ARE GOOD AT HIGH SPEED IN THE RAIN? HYDROPLANE RESISTANCE??? YES, I'M SHOUTING!!!! LOL!!!!

Just FYI....If you order these in the 265/75/16 size, you can get the 4 ply P metric tire to stay away from the heavier "E" rated tire. According to the Falkin website, the LT sized tires do NOT get the silica tread compound. The silica compound is only available on the P metric sizes, and that compound gives you considerably better traction in the wet, snow/ice, and also makes the tire wear better.

I'm running E rated 285 Cooper AT/3 right now, and they are HORRIBLE on snow/ice. I'm in my second winter trying to drive in Colorado and aired up or down they are bad enough I'm having to get rid of them. Things my old Firestone Destination A/T could easily do the Cooper AT/3 can't. I hate the idea of going down to a 265 size, but snow chains also won't fit on my 285s in front, so I'm looking at making the switch....

I've been running these tires for almost two years now 20K+ miles. I have to agree that these are great tires. They wear great, the noise is limited, and the wet/snow traction is great. Have not tried them in really sticky deep mud.The only negatives I've experienced is that they are magnets for little pebbles. For a while kept thinking I had a nail in the tire but it was just rocks. When it comes to standing water. I don't think any tire would make a difference with our Xterras. You just need to slow down and hold on.
Discount Tire likes this.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:26 AM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post

Most AT tires are not designed to be great in the snow/slick. They are just a compromise with minimal siping and compound only soft enough to earn that snowflake rating (which may or may not mean anything in reality). You should get winter tires designed for the winter if you experience real winter conditions. As for the wet in the summer, choosing an AT tire with decent siping is key, but then again with an SUV you should be driving slower in the rain anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 01:13 PM
LBX
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmski View Post
10k miles on mine and I really like them. Road noise isn't to bad, the seem to balance well and the grip offroad and in snow is quite good. My only gripe is that they don't offer a lower load range (I think E is to stiff and heavy) but otherwise a nice tire.
What size? I just ordered a set of these yesterday, 265/75/16 "SL" from @Discount Tire on here for $445 shipped!
JeffInDFW and Discount Tire like this.

Last edited by LBX; 02-19-2019 at 01:22 PM.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:14 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

I have had them for a while now and I love e'm, they're good in most conditions really, but not great in any either. they have more siping than most AT tires and there for are better than others in the snow/ rain. I still wouldnt go speeding around with them in heavy rain , but I wouldnt do that with any tire or vehicle for that matter.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:23 PM
Veteran
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra SE

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBX View Post
What size? I just ordered a set of these yesterday, 265/75/16 "SL" from @Discount Tire on here for $445 shipped!
Mine are in 285/75/16 load range E. I got them through discount as well and at the time they were on sale
LBX and Discount Tire like this.

2006 Nissan Xterra:

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode