Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S Tires - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
2005 Red Brawn ❌terra Off Road

Garage
It might be a bad tire. Sometimes it happens.

Does the vibration go away when the tires are rotated to the rear? Have the tires been remounted or just rebalanced?
PebblePimp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 04:37 PM
2009 Red Alert Xterra Off Road 5AT

Just had it back in today. I think they rotated front to back, and rebalanced the fronts. The vibration has gotten much better, but still there at 60-65, then worse at 70-80. But more comfortable to drive at least for now.
Guy said to bring it back monday so they can "play with it". He said they're going to need two hours to look everything through, inspect the wheels and all that.
Will be the 4th trip now. But really trying to avoid taking it to another shop, as I dont know of any reputable that could for sure fix the problem with one trip.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaf View Post
Just had it back in today. I think they rotated front to back, and rebalanced the fronts. The vibration has gotten much better, but still there at 60-65, then worse at 70-80. But more comfortable to drive at least for now.
Guy said to bring it back monday so they can "play with it". He said they're going to need two hours to look everything through, inspect the wheels and all that.
Will be the 4th trip now. But really trying to avoid taking it to another shop, as I dont know of any reputable that could for sure fix the problem with one trip.
Like Mr. Bills said, it could just be a bad set of tires?
If they can't solve it on Monday, just tell them to contact Cooper and get a new set (shouldn't cost you anything). Cooper also has their 45 day drive test.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 11:02 PM

Was back in today. Still slight vibration. Not sure this shop really knows what they're doing, so Im done with them. I went to pepboys and the guy said the previous shop did a static balance, where he would recommend a dynamic balance instead. But I dont want to take it back to the old place, because I have no confidence in them at all. I'm going to my mechanic tomorrow for something unrelated, but will ask him about a recommendation.

Any thoughts on static vs dynamic? I didnt know this was a thing until today.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 11:39 PM
2005 Xterra SE 5AT

Quote:
Was back in today. Still slight vibration. Not sure this shop really knows what they're doing, so Im done with them. I went to pepboys and the guy said the previous shop did a static balance, where he would recommend a dynamic balance instead. But I dont want to take it back to the old place, because I have no confidence in them at all. I'm going to my mechanic tomorrow for something unrelated, but will ask him about a recommendation.

You said you had a road force balance. That's about the best you can do as long as it's done right. I hate to send you down another path but have you done u joints? I didn't even notice the vibration from mine until I got new tires. They kept telling me the same thing...rotate and balance 3x, bad tire, maybe a bent rim, bad rotors....no it was front u-joints. They did the rear because it was loose, but said the front were fine. When I got under there the front were tight but I could tell they were shot. Replaced them and smooth as butter. Just a thought.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
Quote:

Do you have a Costco membership? Even if you didn't buy the tires from them you can get them balanced and rotated for about $22 for all 4 tires. Yes, it's that cheap; but you'll end up leaving the warehouse with an additional $100 worth of stuff, hahaha.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:20 AM

jcco - I'll have my mechanic out the u-joints next week.

Messe - I don't have a costco membership, and I hadn't realize they do tires. What don't they sell?? Something to consider though, thanks.

I went to a seemingly more reputable shop, they rebalanced them, and the ride is much better than it was. But, still not as good as it was on my old bf goodrich tires. So i'm assuming at this point the remaining gripes I have are with the actual tire and how it rides. Maybe I chose the wrong tire? I'm going to put 2k+ miles on them in two weeks, including plenty of off-pavement Utah mileage. So I'll see how they hold up.

Any other things to look at in regards to ride quality? Could a tired suspension cause lots of little vibrations and whatnot? I wouldnt know where to begin with that, outside of u-joint as jcco stated. Although, I didnt experience this with the old tires. Just trying to get that cadillac ride thats off-road capable lol.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
Quote:
jcco - I'll have my mechanic out the u-joints next week.

Messe - I don't have a costco membership, and I hadn't realize they do tires. What don't they sell?? Something to consider though, thanks.

I went to a seemingly more reputable shop, they rebalanced them, and the ride is much better than it was. But, still not as good as it was on my old bf goodrich tires. So i'm assuming at this point the remaining gripes I have are with the actual tire and how it rides. Maybe I chose the wrong tire? I'm going to put 2k+ miles on them in two weeks, including plenty of off-pavement Utah mileage. So I'll see how they hold up.

Any other things to look at in regards to ride quality? Could a tired suspension cause lots of little vibrations and whatnot? I wouldnt know where to begin with that, outside of u-joint as jcco stated. Although, I didnt experience this with the old tires. Just trying to get that cadillac ride thats off-road capable lol.
I know that you can also buy cars from them, as well as coffins (at least you don't have to buy a 2 pack! :rolf: )

In my experience, I haven't seen tired suspension cause this type of issue. Worn out hub bearings or a bent rim is a possibility. But if you didn't have this issue with the old BF tires then that is most likely not the problem. I would venture to guess that you just ended up with a bad batch of tires and Cooper would replace them under warranty. I know it's a pain but a lot easier than trying to chase your tail...
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 04:04 PM

Just put 2k+ miles on these from LA area to Moab, UT and back. MOstly highway of course, but plenty of dirt roads and one "off-road" trail, called Long Canyon Trail.

I took it from the bottom up and had no issues with the tires. Road was rocky from recent rain, and Pucker Pass was very rocky. No slippage aside from at P.P. due to deep, fine sand against the bedrock and my lack of ability as a rookie.

Overall the tires performed well, on road and off. They seem to be very sensitive to every road condition, which is good and bad. A few mornings when we hopped on the highway, my truck would pull a lot left or right for awhile, then it seemed to go away. ONly thing I can think is that they do retain a lot of stones, and possibly that weight affects how the tire tracks. But this is just a theory based on zero knowledge or experience that I hold of AT tires, offroading, etc. I worry a lot so this is my explanation.

I also have two small..I can't explain it...small dips or grooves on the ride side tires. I'm guessing I damaged the tire somehow, and broke something inside. They run the same still, no issues at all. But it's concerning, considering I ghave about 3k miles on them only.

I'm hoping it's not a safety issue. I honestly don't know anything about this.

These are P rated, and I'm thinking they're just thin and not robust enough for heavy usage. I'd like something with more protection, without sacrificing mpg or ride quality, but dont know if moving to LT tires next time would be a good trade off in that regard. Again, I know very little about tires and driving off-pavement.

Overall, they performed well in all conditions. THey retain a lot of stones, sometimes pull left or right for me after long days off pavement. (had alignment done before trip), vibrate depending on paved road surface, but got 20+mph highway, and let me go where I wanted without issue.

Last edited by jschaf; 10-20-2018 at 04:06 PM.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 10:54 AM
2008 Xterra

Tires pulling when they didn't before indicates the belts have come loose and are shifting. Especially when the pull changes from left and then right. Seems the level of off road use you gave them indicates you need LT tires which have heavier/more belts. Going from P to LT you do sacrifice ride for toughness, no way around it.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in