All of the Sudden - (((Loud Tires))) - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2010 X

All of the Sudden - (((Loud Tires)))

Hey all,

I have a set of Cooper ST/MAXX with about 7k on them. All of a sudden they sound louder. I check pressure, did a chalk test everything seems to in order. Pressure is at 36 all around, chalk all rubbed off. Could it be a wheel bearing? Is there a way to diagnose this further?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 12:09 PM
Veteran
2010 Super Black Xterra Off Road

might be due for a balance and rotation, i do my ko2s every 5 k and they are whisper quiet
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Veteran

Is it a humming noise? Does the noise get louder as you accelerate? To check wheel bearings... lift up the car and rock the tire from side to side. If there's play or woobling, it could be your wheel bearing. As the post above, try balancing or rotating your tires first to see if the noise goes away.. it's a quick and inexpensive fix if that turns out to be the problem.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Did you recently start driving around with your windows open? Any feathering on the outside edge of your front tires?
AlbatrossCafe likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2010 X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un4seen4 View Post
might be due for a balance and rotation, i do my ko2s every 5 k and they are whisper quiet
I'll check with the tire place. Probably about time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
Is it a humming noise? Does the noise get louder as you accelerate? To check wheel bearings... lift up the car and rock the tire from side to side. If there's play or woobling, it could be your wheel bearing. As the post above, try balancing or rotating your tires first to see if the noise goes away.. it's a quick and inexpensive fix if that turns out to be the problem.
Do I need to lift both corners or would one corner suffice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Did you recently start driving around with your windows open? Any feathering on the outside edge of your front tires?
That was my first though too. It's getting warmer so the windows are open of course, but it's loud with closed windows too. It's either getting louder or I just never noticed it before. No feathering.

Thanks for all the advice.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Some random dude
2006 Solar Yellow ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
This possibly doesn't help you, but my ST/MAXXs have about 15k on them, and I haven't really noticed any unusual/concerning change in the sound of them (other than the first time I drove on gravel and picked up like 50 billion rocks, couldn't figure out what that stupid clicking noise was for a while...).

There was a slight change when I rotated the fronts to the back (had bad alignment so they were wearing funny), but they have settled down as they wear back to normal. Wasn't anything too overly noticeable, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Red Brawn ❌terra Off Road

Garage
All open void tires get louder as they wear. Cooper ST/Maxx tires need to be rotated at least every 5,000 miles. I rotate mine every 4,000 miles. It makes a difference in the noise.
jr_ss, eighty and Kirzzy like this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2010 X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bills View Post
All open void tires get louder as they wear. Cooper ST/Maxx tires need to be rotated at least every 5,000 miles. I rotate mine every 4,000 miles. It makes a difference in the noise.
Rotated the tires, the noise went down significantly. Thanks everyone.
mtnbound likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:59 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Avalanche White Frontier NISMO 4x4

Rotation is key with ST Maxx's. Intervals over 5000 miles tend to cup the tires and create annoying resonances.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2010 X

Maybe wishful thinking, the noise came back. Dropped by my mechanic's, he said it's most likely the bearings. He said one way to diagnose is to swerve a bit. The weight transfer causes the noise to go down significantly. I dont know that loud tires wouldn't do the same, but he said it's most likely bearings.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode