Yet Another Tire Thread... - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Yet Another Tire Thread...

Going to 285s w/ stock rims on my 2wd Xterra which already has a mild lift. This is my daily driver but really don't put a lot of miles on it, bout 7k a year. Go out here and there in SoCal and do various trails and dunes. Coming off of the Goodyear SilentArmor with Kevlar, and was pretty impressed with the tires, had solid on road performance and the offroad wasn't too bad. One of 'em started looking low on preasure so took it in to find it had a nail and less than 15psi in it, was a bit shocked since it wasn't bulging all that much. So I'm down to 3 tires I like-

Goodyear Duratracs - Like the looks, its pretty popular, considered goodyears top AT tire, concerned about the sidewall strength

Goodyear All Terrain Adventrues with Kevlar - Replacement to the SilentArmor, strong sidewall, wish it looked more aggressive

BFGoodrich KO2s - Like the looks, pretty popular, currently can purchase for under 200, have had bad luck with previous BFGoodrichs

Not really interested in beefier tires as I don't plan on mud'n or crawlin as again its only 2wd. I do live in the foothills of SoCal so I'm constantly driving a decent grade so on road traction does matter especially when it rains (can on a rare occasion get snow/ice).

Well there is plenty of feedback threads on both the KO2's and duratracs and have read ALOT of them, with those tires I'm looking more for info especially comparing differences with sidewall strength, wet traction and noise on road (if I don't add that wife may have my head if its annoyingly loud). With the All Terrain Adventures any feedback would be nice as I don't see many with those tires. I have talked my mom into those tires not long ago for her ridgeline but really would love hearing from X owners with them (that and I haven't driven her ridge since they went on).

Any help much appreciated and again sorry for yet ANOTHER TIRE THREAD.... or is it TREAD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Red Brawn ❌terra Off Road

Garage
Of the three tires you list, my choice would be the BFG KO2 for a 2WD Xterra in SoCal.

You might also consider the Cooper Discoverer AT3, which would be an excellent tire for your application. [Note: not the Cooper ATP, an America's Tire exclusive which is not the same quality tire despite what some America's Tire salespeople might say.)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Of the ones on your list I would pick Duratrac's. I will submit another for your consideration though. Falken Wildpeak AT3W. I've been very pleased with mine.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Veteran
2007 Avalanche White Frontier Nismo-4X

I'll 2nd Mr Bills recommendation of Cooper AT3s. I can also attest to the comment about the ATPs, even though I still have a favorable opinion of them. The ATPs got me about 46k miles before the wet performance really took a hit (maybe 15% tread), before that they were still a good tire. They got fairly loud on the 2nd half of their life and starting picking up nails pretty often before I got rid of them.

I've got Cooper AT3s now and currently have about 35k on this set, still have about half tread depth left. I'll have no problem hitting the mileage warranty. Also a much better tire than the ATPs, better wet performance and WAY quieter. I do feel the ATPs had an off road grip advantage but only slightly. Overall I've been quite happy with the AT3s and will most likely get them again when these wear out. I put a set on our Subaru too and have had equally good results.

2007 Frontier Nismo-4X KC Auto
It's got some stuff,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Well then...
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bills View Post
Of the three tires you list, my choice would be the BFG KO2 for a 2WD Xterra in SoCal.
+1 for the KO2's, I've had them on my 2nd gen 2WD Ram 2500 for about a year and they've been great, wear out evenly and have good performance off road for fire roads and the occasional loose sand when hauling in ATVs and dirt bikes to the trail.

edit - BridgeStone Dueler's might also meet your need although not a mainstream "all terrain", but they'll likely be quieter than all the others. They worked great on my wife's 1500.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bs_duelerar_rhs_pdpcrop.jpg (76.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by ccg1018; 02-09-2017 at 04:50 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Thanks for the feedback guys. The coopers and bridgestone look way too much of a street tire for me, hoping to go a bit more aggressive for looks. Anyone know what the falkins are like with airing down, I do go out to the dunes in Mojave and the beaches up in Pismo so being able to air down quite a bit for soft sand on stock rims is a concern (one reason I liked the kevlars they can go pretty low w/o beadlocks). This is also why I'm concerned about the sidewall strength of the K02s and Duratracs if anyone knows which one is tougher and if possible what kind of psi those can be dropped down to safely be much appreciated.

Last edited by Shadowviper; 02-09-2017 at 05:00 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowviper View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. The coopers and bridgestone look way too much of a street tire for me, hoping to go a bit more aggressive for looks. Anyone know what the falkins are like with airing down, I do go out to the dunes in Mojave and the beaches up in Pismo so being able to air down quite a bit for soft sand on stock rims is a concern (one reason I liked the kevlars they can go pretty low w/o beadlocks). This is also why I'm concerned about the sidewall strength of the K02s and Duratracs if anyone knows which one is tougher and if possible what kind of psi those can be dropped down to safely be much appreciated.
Mud/dirt and some mild rocks the Falkens have done great (I aired down to 25 with good bite). Not many members are running them as they're a relatively new tire. Some reviewers have stated they were similar in performance to Duratracs. This season as well but snow performance has been good as well and rain before has been good too. I've had BFG KO 1st gens in the past (hated them) and General Grabber AT2's (a lot better than the BFG despite similar tread) I have just been impressed with them. Should be noted but I don't know how they're on sand and haven't been to Moab on them so can't comment on big rock climbing.

My choices for a good AT tire in no particular order:

Goodyear Duratrac
BFG KO2
Falken AT3W
Cooper Discoverer AT3
Cooper STT Maxx
General Tire Grabber X3 (These are starting to hit it off with overlanding people and it looks like a good tire. It's a hybrid mud terrain though.)

Pick any good one though and you are set.

Luck

Last edited by IssacHunter; 02-09-2017 at 06:03 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

"Goodyear Duratracs - Like the looks, its pretty popular, considered goodyears top AT tire, concerned about the sidewall strength"

I wouldn't worry at all about the sidewall of a 285 duratrac. They are load range E. it doesn't get much more heavy duty. The 265 load C might be a concern but not the 285 E.

Support small businesses that support us! -

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:51 PM
LBX
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

It came down between the KO2 and Duratrac for me (also in SoCal, 25/75/16, I'm 4x4).

I went with the KO2.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Veteran

I know its not listed, but have you looked at the Hankook Dynapro ATM's? Looks fairly aggressive, has pretty decent sidewall, and is priced pretty well. I am loving mine so far. But from the ones you listed, I would go with the KO2's. I have read nothing but great things about them.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode