Dry Rot/Cracking? - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 01:23 AM
Caretaker of The Minion

2005 (w/a little 2010) === SE/OffRoad ❌=== EW3 Solar Yellow

Garage
I think I was typing at the same time as you ;-) LOL

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-|-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Instagram

(North Carolina Xterra Club)

(Nissan Offroad Association of the Southeast)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 08:47 AM
JNR
Veteran
2014 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

If I had 4.10 or 4.56 gearing, would definitely be getting 33's for my next purchase...another 1/2" true ground clearance is always good and bet it does make the X look that much better and IMO how it should've came from factory (but also 4.10).

Since I only have 3.69 and don't want to add the weight and make effective gearing higher, will be sticking with the oem 32 in size and none of tgese overly heavy ones...that part will be tough of I get a real AT etc though....

Btw I have almost 22k now on my stock tires and they are starting to show wear enough to where I'm thinking of tires in the sort of near future. They could go another 8k easy if I rotate again, but still...

No cracking or anything though...do you have it out in the sun a lot and/or extreme temp differences?
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Caretaker of The Minion

2005 (w/a little 2010) === SE/OffRoad ❌=== EW3 Solar Yellow

Garage
@JNR , you can run 33s with 3.69 gearing. No need for 4.10 or lower. I'm running 33s with h 3.36 gearing.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2

-|-

on Instagram

(North Carolina Xterra Club)

(Nissan Offroad Association of the Southeast)

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Snapped a picture last night. The tread depth is getting low, but is still usable for another year I would say. The cracking marks are on all 4 tires, and around all the lugs on every tire. Im the second owner and got it at 15k miles towards the end of June 2016 (Currently at 20k miles), but while in my possession the truck has been outside every day, and will stay outside every day basically. I rotate how I park it so the sun doesn't just beat on one side constantly by backing in one day then pulling in forward the next day. And I reallyyyyy want 285's but I dont think I really need LT tires, for my driving I can get away with P rated ones more than likely (Used P rated on my Rav4 and my dads Explorer), and I also dont have the coin to buy a 5th as a spare too. If I stuck with the 265/75r16 I can keep my stock spare for emergencies and only need to buy 4 tires then. Right now I am leaning towards the Hankook Dynapro ATM in P265/75r16 from Pepboys for a around $700 after tax, installation, and alignment with the current deal they have going on. They seem well liked and consumer reports rated them pretty good too. Any help appreciated.... I have a love/hate relationship with tire shopping lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161012_001942 (2).jpg (492.6 KB, 45 views)
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 09:48 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Off Road

Yes, I believe that those are overload tears. I believe they indicate stretching in the. underlying belts.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

They had only like 2 marks on the treads when I bought them but upon inspecting them I noticed that they now all have them, the front more so than the read actually.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 12:11 PM

I don't know about overloading causing tears, but I do know that any tire shop will tell you those need to be replaced ASAP.

However - my dad's old 1977 F250 (now mine!) had 20 year old BFG KO's that I finally replaced this summer, and they were cracked and dry rotted (about as bad as yours) for the last 10+ years. Those tires saw plenty of highway miles, mild off roading, many heavy loads that eventually sagged the springs a couple of inches, and we never had a problem with them. No bulges, no leaks, no unbalancing...

I'm not recommending anything, but take a look at other tires on other cars....you'll see that most have them.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Red Brawn ❌terra Off Road

Garage
Those tires are not that bad. Just be sure they are properly inflated and drive them until tread is down to 4/32", then replace. I doubt that will be a year from now; probably a matter of a few months.

What is the tread depth now? I typically replace mine at 4/32" tread even though 2/32" is the minimum legal tread depth in most states, 3/32" in some others. I don't like to run my tires bald. I definitely won't run tires with less than 4/32" tread in winter rain or snow.

What is the age of the tires, i.e. week and year of manufacture? [see link above for where to find.] Nissan and some other vehicle manufactures recommend replacing tires at 6 years. Other manufacturers state that tires can be run up to 10 years with regular inspections.

As for tire size, get what works best for you. I wouldn't run 33" tires with anything less than a 3.36:1 gear ratio with automatic transmission (3.69:1 with manual), and I would not buy 33" tires just for looks, but each individual has his own priorities.

Since you hunt and take your rig offroad, my recommendation would be to resist the urge to save a buck by going with "P" rated tires and get an LT tire. I think you will be happier in the long run. You might consider the Cooper Discoverer AT3, Goodyear Duratrac and Kelly Safari TSR, all three of which are available in an LT265/75R16 with a "C" load rating, which is perfectly matched to the weight of an Xterra and will give you good ride quality on pavement as well as good performance offroad.

I went with Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx tires in the LT265/75R16 size because they are a true 32" diameter rather than the 31.6" diameter of most other LT265/75R16 tires, but without the excess width and extra weight of a 285/75R16 (32.8" dia.) which would only net an additional 0.4" in ground clearance. The St/Maxx has an aggressive tread which works well offroad and 3-ply sidewalls for strength, but are only available with an "E" load rating. For me, the stiffness from the E load rating was an acceptable trade-off to get the extra strength of the sidewalls.

LBX and X-Vector like this.

Last edited by Mr. Bills; 10-13-2016 at 01:35 PM.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Just checked the dates on the tires, they are all from the 14th week of 2013. Here is 3 pics of the tread left compared to a penny. On both front and rear tires the outer treads are much deeper than the dead center one. Looks like I will be getting new tired before the winter along with an alignment. I only run them at 35PSI so I dont think its because of over inflation or under inflation, and I check the PSI once a week, typically when I am getting gas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161013_140625.jpg (830.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20161013_140632.jpg (689.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20161013_140643.jpg (799.2 KB, 28 views)
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Red Brawn ❌terra Off Road

Garage
Looks like you can make it awhile longer, but not until spring.

Don't get in a hurry, choose carefully and look for tire sales. You have some time to shop.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Brakes, Tires and Wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode