Aluminum Products? - Page 5 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 AM
Veteran
2008 Wrangler Rubicon

Send a message via AIM to gorillamel Send a message via Skype™ to gorillamel
I know this thread is about skids and sliders and that you, Hefty, make those products, but I think aluminum for an aftermarket roof rack would be a better way to use the product that more of us may be interested in.

Otherwise, to be honest, I'm happy with my steel skids, sliders and bumper. I beat the bejesus out of them. But would love to give you a payment for an aluminum roof rack (like what Aluminess makes).

Thanks for asking us. :-)

My co-pilot is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMH View Post
Night sticks, hand cuffs, and motor boating. Sounds like a dream to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Veteran
2007 Desert Stone Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonofjersey View Post
I would definitely buy an aluminum bumper. As already mentioned, Aluminum would be a huge upgrade over the stock bumper. And while steel is definitely stronger, it seems to me that most of the xterra owners here are not hardcore rock-crawling with their vehicles to the point that an aluminum bumper would not be more than adequate for their needs.

Plus, companies have been making off-road aluminum bumpers for years - and the FJ, Tacoma, and Expo crowds really seems to appreciate them. They are well proven to be strong and durable enough to protect in on/off road collisions and animal strikes. To me, it seems like a no brainer to produce an aluminum bumper for the Xterra.

If Aluminess, for example, can produce a quality aluminum bumper for the Tacoma for around $1,300, I would hope that Hefty could produce something for around the same. At that point, I wouldn’t mind paying an extra $200 or so for the advantages of a lightweight, but capable off-road bumper.
I would be all over this, when the next time I don't miss Bambi. You only miss them so many times, and my time will come, and when it does, being able to get home without a back woods recovery would pay for the bumper in cost and vacation time. Definitely interested in Aluminum front a rear bumpers.

SFS is designed for hardcore wheeling, where as IFS is for light wheeling. Tools don't choose the right tool.

Live Long and Wheel
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Off Road 4x4 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue119 View Post
I have driven trucks in salt infested areas. The aluminum gas tanks still rust after a while. As soon as you get a ding or scratch on them.

Also if you end of cracking aluminum you will have to take it somewhere that welds aluminum were as steel you can do yourself

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Aluminum oxidizes ... Aluminum does not rust.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Veteran
2010 SE "Calliope's Revenge"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDozerX View Post
Aluminum oxidizes ... Aluminum does not rust.
Everything corrodes, just a matter of how and how long

Unofficial NEXTerra Promoter, Keeper of the Achievements

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 07:01 AM
Veteran
2011 Lava Red Xterra Titan Swapped

Running your bumper now but if you came out with a nice prerunner bumper i'd be all over it to save on weight. I tend to log 20,000+ miles a year. I wheel almost once or twice a week on the beach and rock crawl 5-6 times a year. i'm sure my wallet would be happy. Also, I feel like many other companies manufacture tube bumpers and seem to be popular

PROJECT E V O X

Last edited by LIXterra; 10-23-2013 at 07:07 AM.
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 AM
2005 Xterra S 4x4

I hope this isn't beating a dead horse, but Asfir already offers this product so you wouldn't be the first ones to offer these to the X market. Also, they offered a discount to AZXC supporting members and there was a big argument about the strength of them. As of yet, no one I know of has taken Asfir up on their offer, so I am not sure there is much interest in this product.
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 08:21 AM
2012 Xterra Pro 4X

How about 1/8 inch steel for light off roaders?

LonnieL

post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnieL View Post
You might as well just get the crappy stock skids.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Veteran
2010 Knight Armour Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I hope this isn't beating a dead horse, but Asfir already offers this product so you wouldn't be the first ones to offer these to the X market. Also, they offered a discount to AZXC supporting members and there was a big argument about the strength of them. As of yet, no one I know of has taken Asfir up on their offer, so I am not sure there is much interest in this product.
I looked on ASFIr's site. I didn't see a bumper for the xterra.. however I did see bumpers for Frontys and Patrols and such... they didn't look like a Hefty.

post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
TNX Community Support Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I'm not in disagreement. We have had several requests but have yet to take the plunge with the nissan market. We've been building them for the Ford Raptors for a couple years with good success but they are typically wheeling their trucks differently and the biggest issue there is the tuned suspension. The extra weight makes a big difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnieL View Post
Nope, The cost and weight difference wouldn't justify the reduced strength. 1/8" Chromoly would reduce weight while maintaining , possibly increasing, strength but the cost of materials, and fabrication techniques would make them a lot higher priced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint urho View Post
I looked on ASFIr's site. I didn't see a bumper for the xterra.. however I did see bumpers for Frontys and Patrols and such... they didn't look like a Hefty.
We know we aren't the first to do it. Just figured we would look at offering additional product options.

We are doing a lot of R&D on several new products right now for several vehicle lines. Business, equipment, staffing and facility expansion is eminent! Anybody who has been to our shop knows how much we trip over ourselves here.

Now the proud owners and producers of NXRocks Skid Plates. The ultimate in underbody protection!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > TNX Community Support Vendors > HEFTYFabWorks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode