Body Lifted Rad Skid - Page 4 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Soooo....its a plate that covers the gap?
In a general sense, yes. It's a retrofit to the radiator skid. A bolt on to fill the gap and provide a level of protection where it didn't have coverage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4

With all do respect to the fabricators and engineers at Hefty, this is a miss. As the person who posed this question and made the initial request, I am a bit under whelmed.
I was hoping for a "body lifted Rad Skid". I could have welded in a piece of 2" flat stock and been done with it. The idea was to increase the angle of the skid and give a little more approach angle.
Please dont take offense, I love your other products and will continue to support them, but a retrofit is rarely sufficient for the discerning customer.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 12:38 AM
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
With all do respect to the fabricators and engineers at Hefty, this is a miss. As the person who posed this question and made the initial request, I am a bit under whelmed.
I was hoping for a "body lifted Rad Skid". I could have welded in a piece of 2" flat stock and been done with it. The idea was to increase the angle of the skid and give a little more approach angle.
Please dont take offense, I love your other products and will continue to support them, but a retrofit is rarely sufficient for the discerning customer.
i agree. can't there be 2 seperate skids? body lift and non-body lift. the body lifted one should come with that add on, but bent into the current skid (one solid piece) instead of a bolt on application. I wouldn't think it'd be hard to create that extra bend and just sell it as a body lift option only. no?

TOTM September 2009
First ever 1st Gen to win TOTM

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Veteran
2005 Super Black Xterra SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
i agree. can't there be 2 seperate skids? body lift and non-body lift. the body lifted one should come with that add on, but bent into the current skid (one solid piece) instead of a bolt on application. I wouldn't think it'd be hard to create that extra bend and just sell it as a body lift option only. no?
I think the bend is what we are trying to eliminate. Instead of it have a greater angle to reach the new height thus eliminating the gap and also having a greater approach angle. Marginal yes but a gain still.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 11:28 AM
TNX Community Support Vendor

There just isn't enough market to justify complete redesign and a new production model. If we are wrong in that assumption we will be happy to design a complete body lift radiator skid but production numbers have to be high enough to put it into production. This is a viable solution for the majority. Many of our customers put body lifts on their vehicles after the bumpers are already purchased. From a sales standpoint we are more likely to sell the filler to the majority than an entire new skid plate.

This filler piece will increase the strength of the front of the skid plate significantly. It is bolt on using the (4) threaded holes in the face of the skid. For retrofit applications 2 holes can be drilled in the side upright sections to attach the filler to the sides as well. The next production batch of radiator skids will have these holes already in the skid plates.

Now the proud owners and producers of NXRocks Skid Plates. The ultimate in underbody protection!
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Banned
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

i think sliders are a good comparison here, they make a non body lift version, as well as body lift versions. its not uncommon for people to sell non body lift sliders after they body lift to install body lift versions, i dont see what would be different about this one skid plate. yes some people just run the non body lift version and its fine, but others that want better clearance and protection swap to the body lift version. if i ever body lift, i would purchase new sliders, and a new rad skid.

maybe a poll is warranted to gauge interest?

Last edited by knightrider; 10-17-2013 at 11:58 AM.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 12:39 PM
TNX Community Support Vendor

Sliders are a great comparison and in fact one that we used to determine the feasibility. Of the xterra sliders we sell each year approximately 3% are body lift sliders. This is about 8 sets per year that we sell. Sliders in general outsell bumpers (with radiator skids). If we sell approximately 8 sets of BL sliders per year our figures on BL Radiator skids will likely be the same or less. Sliders are easy to modify in production as only the legs are different. The Radiator skid would be a completely different design and production process. Again, we aren't opposed if there is a market for the product.

Now the proud owners and producers of NXRocks Skid Plates. The ultimate in underbody protection!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > TNX Community Support Vendors > HEFTYFabWorks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode