Removing Roof Rack Bolts - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Veteran
2006 Orangemen Edition; Off-Road Est. 2013; T.S. Est. 2014; 100% Locked Est. 2015

Just a tip that has seemed to work for me so far. Take your time and be patient, tell yourself it's going to take 4 hours alone to remove the hardware properly; get a 12 pack of your favorite beverage, crank up the tunes and get to work.
  1. Take your torx screwdriver and slowly turn left 1/8 turn.
  2. Turn right 1/8 turn.
  3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 about 5 times (all this does is loosen the threadlocker and nets zero movement on removing the bolt).
  4. Then turn left 1/4 turn and right 1/8 turn.
  5. Repeat step 4 as many times necessary until the threadlocker has broken free enough to loosely spin out with almost no effort.
This technique has net me zero riv nut issues (knock on wood). I will report back when I install my gobi and let you know if this worked all the way around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~~~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~~~~~

Last edited by N.Y.X.; 08-25-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 12:38 PM
Veteran

I had good luck with that for the four bolts used by Xoskel in front. However, doing the rest on the roof, I had about seven spinners. Looking at the bolt afterwards, there was locktite all the way down the bolts with a touch of rust. I just don't think they would come free using any method.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran
2006 Orangemen Edition; Off-Road Est. 2013; T.S. Est. 2014; 100% Locked Est. 2015

Man I hope my other bolts don't have moisture issues within the cab!!! That will be the death of them for sure!!

~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra SE

With mine, the only ones that actually spun on me were the ones that had rust on them. Otherwise all the clean ones came out with ease.

If I ever have to take those rack mounts off I'll be dropping that headliner for sure.

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjordan78 View Post
Had to do mine yesterday! did you cut and splice back together the dome light wiring that comes up the driver side column? I also cut the rear windshield washer fluid hose that runs to the back.
Nope. There is a harness on the driver A pillar somewhere.
The hose for the rear washer has two couplers. One at the passenger A pillar and one just inside the cab in the rear.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Veteran
2010 Super Black Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Nope. There is a harness on the driver A pillar somewhere.
The hose for the rear washer has two couplers. One at the passenger A pillar and one just inside the cab in the rear.
What he said....

Sorry you cut all that.

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Noobie
2013 Xterra Pro4X

I tried removing the bolts on my pro4x... I just wanted to remove the light cover/wind dam because I wanted to replace the stock pro4x lights. The first two bolts I tried free spun, I came on here and saw it was a common problem. Long story short... I took it to the Nissan dealership. I complained that the bolt had to be removable if you were to change burned out bulbs. I told them I tried two bolts and stopped. I let them try the remaining bolts and they too could not remove them. The dealership is now replacing the entire roof rack. They sent it to a body shop to remove the old one and to weld the nuts on the inside. Because they are welding they are repainting the roof too. The best news: it's all covered under the warranty!!! I've been without my truck now for 2 weeks while this repair is happening, but the dealership has put me in a brand new armada platinum edition (which is pretty sweet). So if you are still under warranty and you plan on changing racks in the future, you might want to go ahead and try a bolt now. If you try one and it doesn't come out, STOP. Take it to the dealership and let them try other bolts. If they see all the bolts are marked up from you trying to remove them they will blame it on you for cross threading or over tighting the bolts. They tried that with me at the beginning but there were no skuffs on any bolts except the two I tried, and I finally got them to accept that it was not my fault.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:08 PM
2006 Solar Yellow Xterra OR

Garage
Post edited LOL

Last edited by Wilson06offroad; 02-17-2017 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Been awake too long and going through the forum too late.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Vendor Purgatory - "Beware of These Vendors" > Xoskel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in