Spring and the Return of Stupidity on our Public Lands - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Spring and the Return of Stupidity on our Public Lands

Looks like stupidity has already returned to our public lands with the return of spring.

First, an idiot dad carves his name in Corona Arch for a selfie with his wife and kids (great example, huh?).
https://www.reddit.com/r/nationalpar...h_for_a_photo/
http://www.moabsunnews.com/news/arti...57ac8a338.html

Then an impatient jeeper thinks he can blaze his own cross-country trail to jump to the front of the line.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1328...6553567365826/

If any of you encounter similar stupidity, do us all a favor and make sure those responsible will be held accountable. This crap rubs me wrong in so many ways...

“This is why we can’t have nice things.”
Mike and TerryD like this.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
I saw the jeep one. What an idiot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 10:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Just recently after getting out of the Redwood National Forest in CA, I was getting gas. Some dude complimented my truck and we were BSing about tires. Well as he's done the tailgate on his Toyota drops open and reveals a chainsaw. He tells me he goes and cuts those big knots off of old growth redwoods and sells them online for $200.

I was very uneasy but didn't know what to do. I wish I would have taken a pic of his plate, but idk if you can do anything with one person's word against another. It has bothered me since.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

"Mods first - life later."

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
Just recently after getting out of the Redwood National Forest in CA, I was getting gas. Some dude complimented my truck and we were BSing about tires. Well as he's done the tailgate on his Toyota drops open and reveals a chainsaw. He tells me he goes and cuts those big knots off of old growth redwoods and sells them online for $200.

I was very uneasy but didn't know what to do. I wish I would have taken a pic of his plate, but idk if you can do anything with one person's word against another. It has bothered me since.
My opinion....

Always speak up. Take photo's, say something directly, anything... just do something.

We cannot continue to let ignorant turds and selfish morons ruin nature's beauty, and destroy OUR public lands, and blatantly steal what belongs to all of us, regardless of what it is.

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 10:41 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

Cutting off the redwood burls is a big business...people make coffee tables out of them. However, it doesn't do the tree any good at all...the bark is what protects the tree and this guy is leaving a gaping hole in the bark that can allow the tree's heartwood to be attacked by insects or disease.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 10:57 AM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Not much you can do as proof, repeating what he said is hearsay and they couldn't nail him just on that. Best option I could think of is writing down his plate number and telling some official that might care enough to investigate him. No idea how that would play out in the real world though but at least you would feel that you did something.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 07:32 PM
LVX
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

That kind of stuffs drives me crazy. I can't tell you how many ancient, irreplaceable thousands-of-years-old petroglygh sites I've come across that have been defaced & vandalized. Maddening.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1RU View Post
My opinion....

Always speak up. Take photo's, say something directly, anything... just do something.

We cannot continue to let ignorant turds and selfish morons ruin nature's beauty, and destroy OUR public lands, and blatantly steal what belongs to all of us, regardless of what it is.
Here's a good example where Rob's good advice to take photos and say something did result in the vandals being identified.

https://idahostatejournal.com/member...53287525d.html

Hopefully his apology has some sincerity behind it and isn't merely B.S. damage control for him and his company... though it smells like something that is only happening because he got caught and is getting blasted online.
GeolJon likes this.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback97 View Post
Here's a good example where Rob's good advice to take photos and say something did result in the vandals being identified.

https://idahostatejournal.com/member...53287525d.html

Hopefully his apology has some sincerity behind it and isn't merely B.S. damage control for him and his company... though it smells like something that is only happening because he got caught and is getting blasted online.
I'm glad he got caught. Not sure about the sincerity either. Supposedly he sent his sons change the license plates on his truck before leaving--sounds like he knew what he was doing.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
More stupidity close to home. I understand the temptation of throwing rocks into water, but this drives me bonkers as a scientist. Don't pry up and throw rocks with dinosaur trackways into the lake!

https://www.ksl.com/?nid=1070&sid=46...rown-into-lake

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Land Use Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode