Spring and the Return of Stupidity on our Public Lands - Page 7 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Senior Member - AKA avizpls
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoJangles_91 View Post
This showed up on my google news feed this morning.

https://www.outsideonline.com/239178...sm-tacomabeast
This does a really good job of echoing my sentiments as well. Bad action followed by a bad reaction.
outback97 and MrBoJangles_91 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by avizpls View Post
HOWEVER, (hang on I need to cut down a near by tree to build my soap box here) we have an online culture of being proud of our outrage. The logic seems to be "The more gas i throw on the fire we've strung this guy above, the more people will appropriate how much better than him I am" There is a pattern of lambasting an individual to highlight, reinforce, and broadcast our feelings on an issue. In this case, the tread lightly standard. Too many times what should be handled as a "hey this isnt cool, man" turns into an absolute roast disproportionate to the offense, and i wonder if that is what is happening or will happen here. I hate seeing it. The guy did not destroy the integrity of the land with this marking. He should be called out (and was) he should address it (he did) and he should learn not to do this sort of thing (appears to have). Its a problem though when "the internet" goes wild and just tries our best to destroy a guys reputation, brand, business over something that I have to wonder warrants that kind of response. Im not speaking with anyone HERE in mind when I say "calm down guys, you've made your point. If this becomes a habbit of his group, then OK. But **** me, let the guy move on" Some of the responses I've seen on instagram are dizgusting and clearly self-serving.

footnote: where we wheel, there are no BLM, public lands issues the way there are out west. So its a similar, but different animal. Its 90% private property and the remaining 10% is simply forest fire access or fracking gas company trails. Now THEREs healthy land use for ya
Regarding the outrage, I agree that sometimes the reaction exceeds the action. It's easy for people to sit behind the semi-anonymity of a keyboard and call for the torches and pitchforks. They'll say things to another person that (hopefully) they would never even consider saying to their face. I don't think the people who comment the most vehemently really represent the thoughts and feelings of the majority of people. Also rage travels quickly online:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...est-180950182/

Tacomabeast's recent contrite posts could indicate that he has learned something from this. And hopefully all those that for some reason look up to him can learn too. But I still see someone that doesn't truly care about our public lands, and is ultimately most interested in covering his a$$ and making money from his "brand".

I assume this is from the same trip... I don't think there's much tread lightly going on in this photo:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Buq-CPLh0JE/

I am not a native Utahn. I have lived here over 20 years though, and I'm tired of people that think this state is a playground they can trash. Their actions can and do contribute to areas getting closed to everyone. I do think Instagram has made this worse... it lets people "like" a place without loving it and caring for it.
post #63 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:44 PM
2010 Gun Metal Gray Xterra S 4x4

@outback97 The Smithsonian article was an interesting read, thanks for sharing! I agree with you, the online culture has created an anonymity of sorts. People fail to see the repercussions of their actions and the longitudinal impact those actions may have. Everyone seems to be looking for likes rather than preserving sights/areas/resources for the coming generations.
outback97 likes this.

[Enter Signature Here]

post #64 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:40 PM
Senior Member - AKA avizpls
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

that pic is all intentional 2WD wheel spin
post #65 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:21 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by avizpls View Post
that pic is all intentional 2WD wheel spin
Yes, and notice the plants that his wheel spin has gone through.

I do agree with the "reaction may have been worse than the action" bit, and admittedly I was pretty vocal.

While I do think the initial action caused furious reactions, and hence furious reactions and so on, I actually do believe a major problem is that there are a great many people who really do feel that "it's just a rock, and it simply doesn't matter". There is no education to fix that if the person needing the education is unwilling to hear what they think may be part of the problem.

It's not easy to accept when one is wrong. We see this with many issues in our society.

As my wife has said many times in past few days..... we should treat this like we treat poachers. When you get caught, everything that got you there can be confiscated. If this dude had been caught poaching a deer, I doubt there would be a single avid hunter who would defend his actions by saying "it's just a deer". Why? Because it gives hunters a bad wrap, looks bad for an entire community of people who are fighting for the very same kind of access we are, and most of all, it's unethical. And yes I think the situation is similar. It's not hard to buy a weapon, it's not hard to get out there, it's not hard fain ignorance of the wrong, and it certainly isn't hard to commit the act. But, the damage can be long lasting, for reasons that you may never understand, nor be willing to understand.

While I do feel some reactions were over the top, many like asking him to turn himself in, pay the clean up cost and then donate a percentage of his sales to leave no trace organizations, along with please don't come back, IMO are about right.

I truly hope the right things come from this.
outback97, scoyoc and TerryD like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #66 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:49 PM
Northwest Xterra Club (NWXC) Club Moderator
2010 Knight Armor ❌terra X Utility 4x4

Garage
I mean, if you want a good laugh, go through the comments on his recent instagram posts.... they are just words and words are easy to type out.... and also easy to ignore when you are reading them from behind the screen.

My two cents - If you're going to post something controversial on the internet, be prepared for repercussions. The term, sometimes the reaction exceeds the action, might be valid but the reaction will never go away. In this case, I don't think the reaction exceeded the action. In two weeks no one will remember this, but the scrapings in the rocks will still be there.

By doing this he killed his brand.. or at least showed the community what his brand represents. His apology may be real.. although, I doubt it is....

I definitely think he should come clean, own up to his mistake and pay the price.
IM1RU and AlbatrossCafe like this.

My On-Going Build >

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Land Use Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode