Nissan Xterra Could Make a Comeback - Page 18 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:57 AM
Veteran
2006 Night Armor Xterra OR

Garage
Height adjustable suspension is a dealbreaker. That is a huge amount of complexity that tends to fail - and at the worst possible time. Just look at Land Rover/Range Rover and their suspension systems that were so terrible, dealerships were ripping them out and replacing them with standard springs. Even on Lexus vehicles like the GX series, the first thing owners do when setting them up for off road use is to rip out those systems and put in a basic, reliable off road suspension.

Simple is good. Forget all the complexity and doodad toys, make me a simple, reliable, capable off road machine that can take a beating.
IM1RU likes this.

Nulla tenaci invia est via.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4dblduty View Post
The new Xterra needs to be a niche SUV for Nissan, built for off-road as primary goal, the market and aftermarket are there. Forget 3-row seating and other auto-sensing driver aids. Would be great if it comes with height adjustable suspension, underbody cams, armor, GPS units,.... Also would not mind if it's hybrid, conserving some of that fossil fuel. Nothing wrong with hoping for a good comeback
"Auto-sensing driver aids" are becoming more and more required for new vehicles. No way to avoid them now. That makes off-road vehicles harder to build, because you have sensors and stuff that they probably throw in the OEM bumpers that are gonna be difficult to remove.

Agreed on Hybrid though. I think a Hybrid is perfect for offroad. Electric power torque at 0mph and shutoff during long & slow idle periods. Seems like a no brainer.

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trip Photos Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Mods first - life later."
post #173 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:37 PM
2006 Granite Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Io View Post
Height adjustable suspension is a dealbreaker. That is a huge amount of complexity that tends to fail - and at the worst possible time. Just look at Land Rover/Range Rover and their suspension systems that were so terrible, dealerships were ripping them out and replacing them with standard springs. Even on Lexus vehicles like the GX series, the first thing owners do when setting them up for off road use is to rip out those systems and put in a basic, reliable off road suspension.

Simple is good. Forget all the complexity and doodad toys, make me a simple, reliable, capable off road machine that can take a beating.
Oh definitely, none of those unreliable electronics to manage ride height! What I'm after is some type of coilover set up, maybe even a Nissan fact option as a warrantied package. Adjustments for camber, caster, etc should be included.

Factory bumpers and skids should be off-road (winch?) ready, just look at some of the current offerings, Raptor, Colorado...

post #174 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 03:25 PM
2006 Granite Xterra Off Road

Something in this PHEV direction...come on Nissan, get with it! :\

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...ime/ar-BBV0Dcc
post #175 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:18 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by X4dblduty View Post
Oh definitely, none of those unreliable electronics to manage ride height! What I'm after is some type of coilover set up, maybe even a Nissan fact option as a warrantied package. Adjustments for camber, caster, etc should be included.

Factory bumpers and skids should be off-road (winch?) ready, just look at some of the current offerings, Raptor, Colorado...
Adjustable coilovers are still a PITA, especially in mud. You need a motor at the top of the suspension to crank it up an down - so forget any aftermarket support. The computers will freak out without input from positioning sensors, the same as on Land Rover's airbag system. Any fault and the car defaults to the lowest ride height since it doesn't know what it's doing - and more than likely goes into limp mode

Any OEM bumper might be able to take a winch, but with new pedestrian safety standard and bumper requirements, forget any kind of front-end protection like you get from the aftermarket. Honestly, Jeep has it figured out, they built the JK and JL with modification in mind. The assumption is that you will modify your Jeep, which is why you can drive straight to the tire shop and fit 35" rubber on it without a lift. a small lift gives you 37" tires with no rubbing. That's the kind of mindset we need, not more sensors and electronic bull**** that just gets in the way of making the vehicle what it should have been from the factory - before all the bean counters and health-and-safety nannies got to it.

There are lots of vehicles with adjustable suspension height, adjustable shocks, and six different traction control programs that mean any monkey can get up a challenging hill because the computer does all the work. At that point, why not just hire someone to drive it for you, or take a paved road to the same place? I get it, A-Trac and all the other similar system are brilliant, but it isn't exactly a challenge anymore.

Last edited by Blind_Io; 03-21-2019 at 04:20 PM.
post #176 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:54 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 XTERRA Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un4seen4 View Post
we may just have to face the reality that the only real option going forward of 2018 for an off-road SUV is going to be the new jeep.

Quite frankly if its worth a dam and doesn't have too many teething problems Ill prob try to pick up a used Jeep truck in a few years.

I’ve had the same thought but can never be one of the million Jeep drivers out there, so many of them. I think us X’ers have found the perfect balance - a low cost, tough, fun, platform that does what you want it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #177 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:28 AM
Veteran

Garage
I would go 4Runner or GX460 before going to Jeep. The Wrangler cab is way too cramped, I'd rather go slightly bigger than smaller.

Then there's the FCA "quality" to contend with. Are they still using scale model wheel bearings in the JL?

post #178 of 178 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 12:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Silver Lhtg ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Io View Post
I would go 4Runner or GX460 before going to Jeep. The Wrangler cab is way too cramped, I'd rather go slightly bigger than smaller.

Then there's the FCA "quality" to contend with. Are they still using scale model wheel bearings in the JL?
Our m226 uses the same exact wheel bearings as the jk d44 does.

*not defending Jeep “quality” in any way.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Xterra News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode