BlackbirdSR71 Build Thread - Page 9 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
2012 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4

Garage
So a bit of history behind my Xterra build was- I never considered an axle swap/ re-gear to be part of my original or secondary build plan.

At least - not in the short term - it just seemed too extreme.

But I happened to score a great front R180 already set at 3.69 via @MrBoJangles_91 who - if you read his build and other threads - has blazed the path and literally done all of the identical swap out work beforehand and documented it pretty well.

And so when something this wicked cool drops into your lap - you run with it, ya know ? I would have to be nuts to turn this down.

I'm now researching rear M226 differentials that match gear ratios of course.. sort of feel drunk from too much data now.
It's kind of overwhelming.

You can get a 3.69 rear differential from any Pro-4X Xterra out there...as long as it's Tuesday... in England or Fiji and the moon is full. Wait...what ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r180.jpg (83.3 KB, 7 views)

RJ Giddings
Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Extended length shackles arrived. No real heads up from Greg @ PRG - but I'm just stoked the order was fulfilled in pretty good time.
No idea what hole I should set the length for...maybe I'll go with the middle. This install will be in a few more weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4281.jpg (92.5 KB, 8 views)
AdventureRider81 likes this.

RJ Giddings
Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member - AKA MetalJohnny
2010 Night Armor ❌terra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbirdSR71 View Post
REPRESENT ! In my daily life I don't typically wear Nike swooshes or Addidas stripes...but
I've learned a lot from this site and the cool people on here - so I'm happy to give props to www.thenewx.org on my Xterra.
Totally agree. This group has saved me a ton of work and money, but also cost me a bunch of money haha. All these great ideas and mods I just couldn’t pass up.
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

post #84 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:02 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbirdSR71 View Post
Extended length shackles arrived. No real heads up from Greg @ PRG - but I'm just stoked the order was fulfilled in pretty good time.
No idea what hole I should set the length for...maybe I'll go with the middle. This install will be in a few more weeks.
Adjusting isn't too bad, it's the install that can be a bit of a challenge. IME the lift yield from shackles was pretty close to the stated lift amount, of course they will sag slowly so if you can live with a slightly higher lift short term it might save you having to adjust them later on.

post #85 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Today makes four emails asking for Tracking info - for my order - recovery points from DezertRunneroffroad.com.
And no reply. Left a voice mail just now.

Ya just have to keep hounding these aftermarket guys...

RJ Giddings
Click Here for >
post #86 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
I don't get why they are all (mostly) so bad at simply giving customers a truthful update.

post #87 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Today I installed a front recovery point and shackle on the front drivers side.
On passenger side - I soaked the oem tow hook bolts with PB blaster as they - really - didn't
want to break loose. Tomorrow I can then install recovery point no 2.

I like Dezertrunneroffroad.com products- these recovery points are thick as hell. Look very solid.

Rhino wasn't too bad pricewise... I bought this D-ring shackle set off eBay for $ 22.99.

What I can tell is I will need to trim away some plastic fender - when I really use these - as the fender sits too low to allow any real hook up access.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dezert.JPG (48.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg rhino.JPG (98.4 KB, 15 views)

RJ Giddings
Click Here for >
post #88 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Got a good soaking of mud and Vitamin D on Sunday. ( Not a scuba dive like a few guys I know. ) But just enough muddy waters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rawr.JPG (139.2 KB, 14 views)

RJ Giddings
Click Here for >
post #89 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Let it be known...the same holes that this hitch attach to the frame with - are the same threaded holes the rear bumper is also attached to. Three on each side. So I'll be removing the entire bumper just to put this thing on.

What I thought was going to be a 20 min install... is going to consume a Saturday morning.
Hey, there's worse things I can think of !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitchholes.JPG (59.3 KB, 13 views)

RJ Giddings
Click Here for >
post #90 of 96 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally installed a hitch w/ a recovery shackle today. Way too clean right now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitchpoint.JPG (64.5 KB, 15 views)

RJ Giddings
Click Here for >

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Member's Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode