General Tarfun's X - Page 9 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Got up early to beat everyone to the complex car wash and ended up spending about an hour scrubbing all the plastics, first with dawn dish soap and a green brillo pad, followed by a few of those original brillo pads with the soap already in them and a quick wipe down with acetone. The plastic was perfect to paint after that. Something I noticed with the Black Satin paint btw, if you paint until the can is empty towards the end it will start to get blotchy. I noticed it quickly and stopped, went and grabbed the other can I ordered and was able to easily cover the blotchiness up. Other than that it's good stuff and really bonds with the plastic.

scoyoc, MartinX and BigErn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
So i finally got everything back together around noon and thought I was done...until I took a look at the pic I took before coming back inside. With everything else nicely painted the stuff I didn't paint aka the grille and the lower intake piece looked especially terrible. The grille has had a chip for about 8 years now and I was really tired of seeing it so today was enough to shame me into fixing it. I stopped by Ace to pick up some Krylon Textured Shimmer dark gray paint and a tube of JB Plastic weld. The stuff is great, I molded it onto the shape of the chip and in about an hour it was ready to sand down. The paint looks awesome to me, I hit all the black sections of the grille with what was left of the Black Satin from this morning along with the burger and sprayed it with some clear just to make it more durable. It was one of those days where I finished literally as the sun was going down but man was it worth it, I'll get some pics tomorrow of the whole truck but here's how the grille came out:

In progress pics using the putty to reinforce a bunch of cracks I found all over the grille:

Before:

After
BlackbirdSR71 likes this.

Last edited by General_Tarfun; 05-19-2019 at 11:30 AM.
post #83 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
OH and how could I forget that 'other' thing I did today. I've been having front end issues with popping and the steering being jerked around. Looked at a bunch of options and decided to just pull the front sway bar first, worst case was the links were shot and I'd have to replace them anyway. Well the 8 month old POS Mevotech endlinks are totally shot, I moved the boot around and the sockets are full of rust, just total junk but the big surprise was holy sh*$ the truck drives nicely now. It's like driving someone else's truck! I took a quick drive down some of the winding, bumpy roads nearby that I'm on daily just to see how it handles now and its like a dream, I love it. The suspension is so soft now, no more fighting the steering to keep the truck going straight, small bumps feel like the nothing that they are, and I don't notice any extra sway from it. It's weird but the sway bar basically was blocking the front suspension from being a suspension. Night and day dfference, I'll keep the sway bar in storage but zero chance I'm reinstalling it.

post #84 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:48 PM
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
OH and how could I forget that 'other' thing I did today. I've been having front end issues with popping and the steering being jerked around. Looked at a bunch of options and decided to just pull the front sway bar first, worst case was the links were shot and I'd have to replace them anyway. Well the 8 month old POS Mevotech endlinks are totally shot, I moved the boot around and the sockets are full of rust, just total junk but the big surprise was holy sh*$ the truck drives nicely now. It's like driving someone else's truck! I took a quick drive down some of the winding, bumpy roads nearby that I'm on daily just to see how it handles now and its like a dream, I love it. The suspension is so soft now, no more fighting the steering to keep the truck going straight, small bumps feel like the nothing that they are, and I don't notice any extra sway from it. It's weird but the sway bar basically was blocking the front suspension from being a suspension. Night and day difference, I'll keep the sway bar in storage but zero chance I'm reinstalling it.
Great!!! Glad it was a simple solution. Better than changing suspension settings for sure. You're now another instigator for me to rip mine off.
General_Tarfun likes this.
post #85 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledheadX View Post
Great!!! Glad it was a simple solution. Better than changing suspension settings for sure. You're now another instigator for me to rip mine off.
Thanks! It was a relief honestly, I was not looking forward to fighting with the lca's again! I've resisted pulling the front one off for a long time now but really it only took 15 minutes to remove, I didn't even need to remove the skid to pull it off so if you're considering it and it turns out the ride is bad it's easy to reverse.
SledheadX likes this.
post #86 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
I washed it this morning so I could finally take a pic, whenever I'm painting I like to leave the areas I'm not painting dirty because my theory is any accidental overspray will stick to the dust rather than the paint. I ran out of sandpaper when I was working on the grille so I still need to sand down the bottom area of the patch where the chip was before but other than that I'm happy with how it came out. Not bad for an 06.

post #87 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:02 PM
2012 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4

Garage
I think this looks very clean...just a really, really nice job. You can paint mine !
post #88 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:21 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra X 6MT 2wd

Garage
General Tarfun's Xterra

Looks great!
post #89 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbirdSR71 View Post
I think this looks very clean...just a really, really nice job. You can paint mine !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack. View Post
Looks great!

Thanks guys! It took a long time to get confident enough to paint the front haha, I didn't want to mess up the most visible part of the truck! Blackbird if you're ever in the area I'll def paint yours, it wouldn't take long with another person helping prep the plastic and taping everything off.
post #90 of 145 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:15 PM
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
@General_Tarfun. Yes...... you do a hell of a paint job. Also, howís the lower bumper center repair coming? Canít see it in the last pic. If yo havenít done much yet, I had a similar repair from when I bought mine. Basically performed the melt mod on it and molded it back into shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Member's Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode