General Tarfun's X - Page 10 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 123Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledheadX View Post
@General_Tarfun. Yes...... you do a hell of a paint job. Also, how’s the lower bumper center repair coming? Can’t see it in the last pic. If yo haven’t done much yet, I had a similar repair from when I bought mine. Basically performed the melt mod on it and molded it back into shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man! That piece I was able to get filled in pretty well but same as the grille repair I ran out of sandpaper way too early so I still need to go in and sand it smooth. I actually tried to melt that one back out and was able to get in a much better shape for the repair but it was an actual puncture in the plastic that went through that trim piece and into the one behind it. Both of those hits came from the same deer strike that destroyed the Nissan brush guard:

You can kind of see the fix it in this pic:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by General_Tarfun; 05-20-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:12 PM
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Your patch is pretty good considering. Call yours a “buck bar” in front. If you still don’t like how smooth it is, try filling with..... liquid nail construction adhesive. Mine was a slice in the plastic next to the left fog light. It actually worked melting into the cut. After drying, I smoothed it out with sanding and lacquer thinner. Light rubs until I was happy and then painted. Next test will be NY winters. Or..... Hefty Fab and teach the deer a lesson. (And maybe some good eats?)

AWW FRELL!!!
post #93 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Ha I bet liquid nails would work now that I think about it, that stuff sticks to everything. I was originally going to use bondo on it but the hardware store didn't have any so I went with the jb weld stuff. Just need to pick up some sandpaper sometime soon, after I re-read the packaging I noticed it said to use 'wet hands' when mixing the product to get a smoother finished surface haha. Thats the way it goes sometimes I guess, at least that part is really easy to pull off again when the time comes.

post #94 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
I was feeling like it was time for a new alignment because I was tweaking it a little over the past couple months trying to figure out the bump steer problem so I woke up early again to head over to SCC Performance. I love that place, owner run with a focus on aftermarket truck mods and high end cars so they know what an adjustable UCA is haha. Anyway they did a great job on it, it took longer than normal but that's because on the test drive after aligning it they noticed the caster sensitivity I had forgotten to bring up and brought it back in to lower the caster settings some. Have to love a shop that puts in the extra time to get it right and not just close enough. Anyway here's where I'm at now:
Brunnie likes this.

post #95 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
I finally did a headlight mod! It took me a day and a half because one of the lenses wouldn't come clear for me so I had to get a 3M Heavy Duty headlight kit to re-sand everything and it comes with clear coat wipe on packets which was nice. I removed the giant orange reflector painted the chrome trim with a body paint matching spray I had leftover from my bumper job, then sprayed it all down with clear coat. I've been wanting to do this one for a while now and I'm glad I did because I love how it turned out.

Before:

After:

post #96 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:38 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Your X is lookin GOOD.
General_Tarfun likes this.

Why doesn’t anyone ever ask for the least aggressive mud tire? ~jsexton
post #97 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinX View Post
Your X is lookin GOOD.
Thanks man!

post #98 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
New pics of the headlight mod, side by side old and new:

And a side shot, the lines are so much cleaner now with that giant reflector out of the housing:

JEMZ likes this.

post #99 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:00 AM
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
New pics of the headlight mod, side by side old and new:

And a side shot, the lines are so much cleaner now with that giant reflector out of the housing:

Ooohhh LaaaaLaaaa!!!

General_Tarfun and TurboChris like this.

AWW FRELL!!!
post #100 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Got started last night on converting the interior illumination from orange to white, it's much easier than I thought which feel great to say for once! I learned how to test the led polarity with my multimeter to figure out which end is positive and the electrical board has the positive side listed which helped a ton. I didn't realize that the switches are always illuminated because the orange is so dull, the white really stands out now.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Member's Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode