IM1RU's - "The Girlfriend" aka Delicate Flower - PBR - T Swapped and Lit - Page 14 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 82Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 144 (permalink) Unread 03-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Veteran
2006 Night Armor Xterra OR

Garage
That sucks, but thanks for posting about it.

Do we have any options other than RadFlo? Does Fox or Icon make any complete assemblies that would work off-the-shelf? I know a lot of us have had issues with RadFlos leaking and difficulty getting them rebuilt.

Nulla tenaci invia est via.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 144 (permalink) Unread 03-19-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Io View Post
That sucks, but thanks for posting about it.

Do we have any options other than RadFlo? Does Fox or Icon make any complete assemblies that would work off-the-shelf? I know a lot of us have had issues with RadFlos leaking and difficulty getting them rebuilt.
I'd imagine it comes down to a top hat issue with compatibility. I don't understand why the actual length and travel of the shocks are such a ***king secret. From my conversations with @jsexton, and Greg it seems the optimum or correct length for a t-swap is around 18.5" with a shock travel of about 5.5".... And given the fact that I have this thing apart plenty to have seen it for real, I'd have to agree.

As far as everyone having issues with leaking etc. IMO everyone is ordering shocks to small (Diameter), and using them above their capacity for too long. I know they are spendy as hell, but those little 2.0's without a remote res get ***king hot after a half day on the Pony Express trail. I've yet to feel mine be more than really warm after beating the hell out of it all day long. Plus I think most run them too long before rebuild, and probably bottom or top out the shock quite often which just beats up the internal stops something fierce. I don't personally feel like the leaking bit is a Radflo issue, I could be wrong.

To be fair, I LOVE my Radflo shocks, and I loved the previous ones too (Extended Length 2.5's), I have no issue whatsoever with Radflo. Glen is friggin' awesome to talk to, and was a massive help. I just think a Coil rethink is in order on the Nisstec end, along with a little more real information about actual travel, and maybe some warning of how far you can pre load the coil before you run into coil bind.

I got an education in front suspension I had no idea I even needed.

BTW if anyone wants the "not even a year old Eibach 600 lb 12" coils" which are in perfectly good shape (not sagged), I'll let 'em go for cheap. They are for a 2.5" shock body.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #133 of 144 (permalink) Unread 03-19-2019, 07:15 PM
Veteran
2006 Night Armor Xterra OR

Garage
So it sounds like the RadFlo 2.0 shock is just too small for most our needs. If that's a problem on the TS rigs, I'd imagine it's also why my non-swapped one has been burning through shock seals over the years.

The next time I need to rebuild the front end, I'm considering biting the bullet and doing the TS. I was thinking about selling the X for another vehicle that is a bit bigger and more comfortable, but there really isn't anything out there that I love right now. Even the Lexus GX470 only makes a marginal amount more HP than the X and it's about the same age - so nothing really gained there and a whole lot of time and mods lost by changing platforms.

Keep us posted on how the new stuff runs, I will probably be picking your brain at some point about what to buy. We should get together for dinner or something, it's been too long.

Nulla tenaci invia est via.
post #134 of 144 (permalink) Unread 03-19-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Love too, it’s been way too long.
Blind_Io likes this.

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #135 of 144 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

After having figured out that the bearing noise I was hearing was the Pinion bearing, I had the rear diff rebuilt (before GONE 2019), which has lead me to replacing the DS with Tom Woods double cardan (today). I've also replaced the engine mounts (yesterday) with actual OEM parts. Now onto the Evap canister solenoid valve (I'm actually going to try and run the vent hose all the way up to the post filter engine air intake), and once again uniballs on the lower rear shock mounts.

At 114,000 miles, things are starting to .... wear..... more.
13ADVX likes this.

and

post #136 of 144 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 12:27 PM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1RU View Post
After having figured out that the bearing noise I was hearing was the Pinion bearing, I had the rear diff rebuilt (before GONE 2019), which has lead me to replacing the DS with Tom Woods double cardan (today). I've also replaced the engine mounts (yesterday) with actual OEM parts. Now onto the Evap canister solenoid valve (I'm actually going to try and run the vent hose all the way up to the post filter engine air intake), and once again uniballs on the lower rear shock mounts.

At 114,000 miles, things are starting to .... wear..... more.
Why uniballs on the rear shock mounts? I thought that was a static mount?

post #137 of 144 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhullD View Post
Why uniballs on the rear shock mounts? I thought that was a static mount?

They are FOX 2.0 Remote res shocks that have a uniball in the lower mount.

and

post #138 of 144 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 03:27 PM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1RU View Post
They are FOX 2.0 Remote res shocks that have a uniball in the lower mount.
Ah ok, thanks!

post #139 of 144 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 03:34 PM
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
You got a part number for those fox shocks? We're probably pretty similar on the lift size and I've been looking at upping my rear Bilsteins.
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

Nissan Off-Roaders of the SouthEast (N.O.R.S.E.), Virginia Xterra Club (VAXC)
OverlandBound member #16797 "Adventr-X" Adventure is necessary.
post #140 of 144 (permalink) Unread 06-12-2019, 05:05 PM
Supporting Member
2006 Night Armor ❌terra S

I think they’re the 22.8 ext length.
I have the 26.1 length I believe.

With Robs new rear springs, need to do some measurements and see if the longer ones will fit.

This from the poly performance site.

Xterra’s really need something between those two lengths...
Trying to get full compression without bottoming out, but maximum articulation too is a pain.

>

"I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within."
Douglas MacArthur

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Member's Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in